Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

He's going to drive me NUTS! Help!

RolandsMom
November 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Once again its been forever. School and moving and life have run away with me. I turn back to you wonderful people for some ideas about my brat. Roland of course.
We moved out of the apartment we were in and in with my boyfriend. Wonderful yes, but Roland lost his two friends. I know that he is missing them but has otherwise settled in quite well.
I had every intention of getting a new friend for him but he has sabotaged that.
He scratches the walls and the doors and talks to us at pretty much the same time every morning 4:30am. :frustrated: :confused: . he carries on for about 45 minutes then comes and lies down and goes to sleep as if nothing ever happened. My boyfriend has now vetoed the idea of another cat cause he says one noisy night cat is enough. We have a water squirter that he gets wet with at night when he scratches but it only works if the bf uses it. If I do, it turns into a game and I hate doing it anyway. (and by game I mean he sits next to the wall, looks at me and lifts his paw, if I show him the bottle, he puts it down again, turns and scratches like lightning and runs away, does a round of the apartment and comes back for more.) funny and frustrating at the same time!
I know he may be lonely, but until he stops scratching the walls and the doors for hours at night, theres no hope of getting him a friend. Anyone have any helpful solutions for me??

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Anyone have any helpful solutions for me??

Yup: get him a friend! Your bf has it backwards. Roland is in all likelihood engaging in this behaviour because he doesn't have any now and is bored, lonely, etc. That's why he turns the water squirt thing into a game. If he had a buddy, I'm willing to bet his annoyingness will diminish greatly.

clm
November 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Was there someone up and about at 4:30am where you used to live? Sounds to me like he either wants someone to get up with him or he wants to be fed. If he's just lonely another cat would be the ticket, but they could run around chasing each other at all hours too.....mine certainly do :laughing:

By the way, there's no way anyone would ever Veto me getting another pet if I wanted one.

Cindy

Winston
November 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Rolands mom have you tried to give him a tiny bit of food before bedtime? IT may diminish his need to wake you up that early....You could try getting him something to scratch on? toy or post? and when he scratches the wall you could put him up to his post and see if he gets it?

Other than that a friend may be your only solution??

WOuld love to see some pics of Roland now? he must be all grown up now?

Cindy

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yep, Roland needs a friend. :cloud9:

And, we need pics of Roland. :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I give my gang some treats before bed and they sleep pretty much the entire night. I get my wake-up call from Vlad at about 5:30 but he's not pushy about it.

I think a friend would give Roland some much needed company, especially if he had a friend before.

RolandsMom
November 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Winston. I have tried all of that! He has wet food before bed, he has dry food out for snacking, he has a scratchpost in the lounge and I make sure all his toys are where he can find them. I know that a friend would be ideal, I just dont think its going to happen while he is being such a brat. Maybe we could foster a cat that meets the criteria and he can see? then if it works we keep it and if it doesnt, we have helped out a kitty in need and he goes to a good home. hmm. maybe.

Roland is a big boy now. Hes 12.5 pounds. A lean loud playing machine!
The vet thinks he may have some siamese in him cause his body is so long. I will get some pics up soon!

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Fostering would be a great idea. :thumbs up

Good luck :fingerscr and looking forward to the pics. :goodvibes: