Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Changes to Nutro Dog Food Formulas

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM
From http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

Changes to Nutro Formulas
Admin | October 26, 2008 8:03 pm

I was just alerted to the fact that yet another company has made profound changes to their formulas. Mars, having been bought up Nutro Products Inc last year certainly didn't waste much time to further reduce product quality.

For comparison:
Blue = protein sources
Green = carbohydrate sources
Red = fat sources

Old Formula
Lamb Meal
Ground Rice
Rice Flour
Rice Bran
Sunflower Oil*
Poultry Fat*
Natural Flavors
Rice Gluten
Dried Egg Product
Dried Beet Pulp
Potassium Chloride
L-Lysine
Dried Kelp
Salt
Choline Chloride
Zinc Sulfate
Vitamin E Supplement
Taurine
Ferrous Sulfate
Ascorbic Acid
Biotin
Copper Proteinate
Niacin
Manganous Oxide
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin B12 Supplement
Riboflavin Supplement
Vitamin A Supplement
Glucosamine Hydrochloride
Chondroitin Sulfate
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Thiamine Mononitrate
Vitamin D3 Supplement
Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex
Calcium Iodate
Folic Acid
* preserved with mixed Tocopherols

New Formula
Lamb
Ground Rice
Rice Flour
Rice Bran
Whole Brown Rice
Lamb Meal
Potato Protein
Poultry Fat*
Rice Protein Concentrate
Natural Flavors
Pea Protein
Soybean Oil*
Sunflower Oil*
Potassium Chloride
Monocalcium Phosphate
L-Lysine
Salt
Choline Chloride
Egg Product
Dried Beet Pulp
Dried Kelp
Taurine
Vitamin E Supplement
Zinc Sulfate
Ferrous Sulfate
L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate
Copper Proteinate
Biotin
Niacin Supplement
Garlic Flavor
Potassium Iodide
Manganous Oxide
Calcium Pantothenate
Vitamin A Supplement
Vitamin B12 Supplement
Riboflavin Supplement
Thiamine Mononitrate
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex
Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 Supplement
* preserved with mixed Tocopherols

The most glaring differences are:

1. Going from a concentrated meat source (lamb meal, less than 10% water weight) as the first ingredient to a non-concentrated source (fresh lamb meat, still includes about 75% water weight before processing). This drastically reduces the amount of animal-based protein in the product.
2. Going from just 3 protein sources, two of which are animal based (lamb meal, rice gluten, dried egg product - note, all these are in concentrated "dry" form) to 5, three of which are plant-based (lamb/lamb meal, potato protein, rice protein concentrate, pea protein, egg product - note that all the vegetable protein sources are in dry form, but the main portion of the lamb and the egg product are in "wet" form, including their water weight before processing).

In addition to that, the formula is becoming much more varied overall, so there's more of a chance that a dog who has tolerated the food in the past is going to have issues.

kathryn
November 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
The pet supply store I work at now has stopped carrying nutro all together. The owner was really annoyed by the whole situation and read online about pets getting sick. Too bad for Nutro because they just lost a major deal with my store (it's a really good store). So we've been letting everyone know and switching them over to better brands like California Natural :thumbs up

rainbow
November 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Glad to here that the store where you work has stopped carrying Nutro. I hope more pet stores start doing the same. :fingerscr

I haven't been a fan of Nutro for years and I knew that as soon as the Mars Corp. took them over that it wouldn't be long before they cheapened their ingredients. :sad: The same thing happened when Proctor & Gamble took over Iams. :sad:

These large corporations are only there to make the profits and not to make a good quality pet food. :frustrated:

kathryn
November 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I had a lady buying one of the last bags of Nutro today and informed her we are discontinuing it and she got all mad at me. I was like... umm they got bought by Mars, they changed their formula and we've heard stories of doggies getting sick. She is going to go buy it somewhere else now :rolleyes: I tried to convince her to switch to something like California Natural but she didn't really want to hear it right now. Hope she comes back and buys something better.

amber777
November 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Happy to hear of other feeling the same about Nutro as me I had fed Nutro for years but notice the quality starting to decline and have switched my dogs to Acana Grain free.

kathryn
November 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Nutro sponsors my shelter though unfortunately. They send us samples to give out and we have to recommend them and put their name on stuff all the time.

So I get to secretly hate Nutro because I don't want to bad mouth them in the shelter obviously cause we kinda need the cash :evil: