Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another bald patch on Vlad and now Maks too!

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I came home this afternoon and noticed Maks scratching at his ear a lot. I had a look and he'd scratched a bit of it to where it was starting to bleed. And now, I just noticed Vlad has another bald patch.:sad:

I've been washing Vlad's first patch with the sulfur soap and putting Neosporin along with the medication the vet prescribed. Now I'm starting to do the same for Maks and his new patch.

I'm really starting to stress here. IF this is some fungus, and it's spreading, I don't know how I'll be able to pay for them all to get rid of it. The vet said they'd need dip treatments.

I'm really really hoping it's not a fungus. I'll find out next Monday. I had a look at Vlad's new patch and there are little red dots on it. I'm thinking maybe he and Maks are just playing too rough, since Vlad's skin looks like maybe he's been punctured by a sharp nail. And I do often find small tumbleweed looking hairs. I did cut their nails yesterday, so if that's the case, I need to be on top of that more and cut their nails more often.

I haven't noticed any patches on the girls yet and am keeping my fingers crossed I don't.

The one thing keeping me hopeful is Vlad's first patch is growing hair back, so I'm just assuming if his skin had some fungus on it, hair wouldn't grow back so quickly. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself.

14+kitties
November 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Is there a possibility that they have fleas? I know they don't get out but it is possible for you to bring them in on your clothes. The little red dots kind of make it sound that way. Just my :2cents:

hazelrunpack
November 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I don't think the hair would grow back so quickly if it were a fungus, AG. Have you noticed the little red dots on any of the other patches?

Karin
November 11th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Is there a possibility that they have fleas? I know they don't get out but it is possible for you to bring them in on your clothes. The little red dots kind of make it sound that way. Just my :2cents:

Fleas were my first thought too but most people here in Florida use some kind of flea control product..we're tropical and fleas love us.
Have you had a skin scraping done? Are the patches kinda round and growing in size?
Do you know (or are you) a hippie that still owns a black light?...Sorry, had to ask.
If you have a black light, ringworm will show up under one. It never hurts to have a black light, or a lava lamp and a bean bag chair..or a beaded doorway curtain like I just hung last week...oops, sidetracked. (And No, I don't smoke pot lol)
Really, see if you can find one, they do come in handy.

babymomma
November 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
:sorry::offtopic:hehe, i have a black light, and a beenbag chair, and a lava lamp. I also have beads hanging from my doorway at the cabin. But i am in no way a hippie. NOr do i smoke pot..hahaha Seriously though.. I have a beanbag chair because theys comfy. A black light because i had a halloween party and it was a dance and it made it cool. My lava lamp is from forever ago, my aunt gave it tp me for my B-day because ithought they were cool as a kid. And I have beads at my cabin because we dont have real doors (Only in the bathroom we have a real one) And i liked the beads because they draw out a moose picture in them and our cabin has a moose theme:)

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I haven't seen any fleas on them, or around the apartment. But, I'll have a better look. Maks and Kiska are the easiest to check, and they look clean.

Vlad did have a skin scraping and that came back negative. What I'm waiting on now is the culture. I get the news on that Monday, and I'll know then if it's a fungus.

The little red dots almost look like nail punctures. When they accidentally get me it looks like that, so I thought maybe he and Maks might have gotten a little rough with their wrestling. :shrug:

Hazel, yes the older patch on Vlad is growing hair back, and It's been about a week so that's why I'm wondering if it's just something other than the fungus. And yes, his older patch looked like it had a little puncture too. I'm holding on to what the vet said, about if it were a fungus, he'd have had more spreading and the others would have shown signs.

My hope is it's just the boys rough housing and since Vlad is a black cat, it's easier to see little patches of hair missing on his head. If it's that, then I can be safe in knowing it's not something contagious. But a fungus scares the crap out of me because I don't want to think about all 5 of them having to have daily treatment baths.

chico2
November 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Awww A-G,you are such a worry-wart:cat:,lets hope it's not any kind of fungus.
Vinnie gets little puncture wounds ever now and then,from wrestling with Rocky,Rocky probably does too but I can see them easier on Vinnie.
Usually there is no hairloss though.
Chico sometimes pulls his hair on his tummy,but he's a nervy little(16lb)cat,the hair always grows back.

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I know I worry too much sometimes, it may just be nothing, but I worry because I'm thinking of the money. I don't want to have to not get them treatment because I don't have money. If I need to get them treated I'll have to figure something out, because I can't have them with this fungus on them.

I briefly thought maybe Vlad was nervous or something too, but it's hard for him to pull the hair on top of his head off. :shrug:

Then I wondered if it might be their food, but I've been switching them to EVO, so hopefully that's not it. Gah, I just wish Monday would get here so that I could at least KNOW if it is or isn't for sure a fungus.

chico2
November 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I am not familiar with funguses on cats,wonder why they would get it???

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I have no clue. The vet said if that's what it is, it is likely something I brought in from outside. :shrug:

I don't clean the floor with bleach because I'm always worried about them, but I wonder if I put just a little in some water with some lemon it would be okay. Then I can clean the floors and bathroom really good and know the bleach will kill any fungus that might be there.:shrug:

Karin
November 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Could it be ant bites? I am further north from you and the fire ants mounds have exploded around us lately. Which reminds me, I need to spray them before work today.

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
No, I don't have any ants in my apartment, at least non that I can see and that can bite them like that. I'm trying to think hard here and I can't imagine it can be fleas. I would have seen some by now, either on the rugs, furniture (especially their favorite orange chair), and my bed.

I'm going to hope it's just rough-housing. If that's the case I just need to keep all of their nails trimmed at all times. The only one I can't trim is Czarina, but I take her in every 2 weeks.

Oh, I did just remember something. Last night, Vlad was biting at Maks ear. I'm wondering if maybe that explain's Maks' problem. Maybe Vlad's been telling Maks he's in charge in a bitey way.:shrug:

I swear, I'm this close to getting a darn pet cam!:laughing:

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I just got off the phone with the vet's office. I've been perusing the net to have a look at what I can find on ringworm. From what I've seen in pictures I guessed that might be a possibility. So I called the vet's office and luckily my friend Michelle got the phone. She's always sooooo helpful. I wanted to get the price on a lime sulfer dip, just to get an idea in case I had to do this to all of them.

$39 per treatment is what I would be looking at per cat, IF Vlad does have ringworm.

Now, I am using the sulfur soap when I wash Vlad's bald spot and Maks' little patch, along with the cream they gave me.

I asked her if she had seen any results come back from Vlad's culture and she put me on hold to ask the guy that does the tests there, since the culture is being done there at the office. She came back and told me that nothing has grown yet. It's been 10 days, and the guy told her that if nothing has grown yet, there is a chance that he's okay in that regard.

I'm holding on to that! I'll know for sure by Saturday, so when I take Czari in to get her nails clipped I'll ask again.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to toss the area rugs and get new ones, I saw some cheap ones at Home Depot. I'll clean the floors with some diluted bleach (can anybody tell me if that's okay for them to be around?), and I'll make sure to wash the sheets in hot water with some detergent that has some form of bleach, like for colored clothes.

I'd planned going to this church flea market with my friend on Saturday morning, but I need to do this just to make sure there's nothing in the environment that might have caused this issue.

Vlad's first spot has hair growing back, and it's only been a week since I've been using the soap and medication so I'm very hopefully the other patch will show improvement quickly.

I hate waiting.

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM
AG I have been following but not posting cause I have not been really sure you have a fungus?? I was thinking that maybe it has been from the different types of food they have been trying? I think you mentioned you had switched them a couple of times right? What do you think?

chico2
November 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
A-G,I think you should wait a little with washing everything with bleach,at least until you get an answer,it could be food allergies.

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I agree! save your money till you know.....maybe someone with more food knowledge can help us out here but I think it could be a possibility??

Stacer
November 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
If you're wary of bleach (as I am), use some vinegar at full strength and let it stand on the floor for at least 10 minutes. Tea tree oil is also a disinfectant, put something like 15 drops per quart of water and use it in a spray bottle.

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Food allergy might be worth looking into, but I only just switched them to EVO 2 weeks ago. Vlad's first bald patched showed up before that, when I was still feeding Wellness. He's always had chicken and turkey, which is what I've been giving them as far as food. I'll check out the pet store to see what other foods they have, in case it could be food related.

I'll wait to make sure what he's got isn't a fungus before I go nuts with the bleach. I should know Saturday if the culture has anything in it for sure.

I hate this. I hate seeing Vlad's perfect little head with a bald patch. :sad:

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
AG didnt you try something new not long ago? maybe treats or something? maybe it was another poster I am thinking of? I agree waiting til Sat then see whats up...

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Winston, it might be someone else. I've had them on Wellness grain free for several months. EVO is also grain free, so I don't know:shrug:

I have an appointment for Kiska to get her wellness exam on Tuesday, but maybe I'll take Vlad too if I find out it's not ringworm or any other kind of fungus. I need to know why he's got these bald patches.

He's acting normally otherwise. Eating well, pooping normally (I haven't seen him, but he's got the biggest poops of the bunch, so I've seen them in the litter:o)

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Do Vlad and Maks sleep together? any new beds or toys? just throwing out ideas for you..

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Not really. None of them actually sleeps that close to the other. Everybody sleeps on my bed but pretty much in their own spots. The most Vlad and Maks do is wrestle, and Maks and him butt their heads and rub their heads together sometimes.

I had been thinking that maybe Maks, with his sharp nails had grabbed on to Vlad a little hard and maybe tore some hair and perhaps infected that particular area.:shrug: I'd noticed what looked like little pin-prick marks, like when I've gotten caught by their nails.

Vlad's first bald patch is growing hair back and is almost back to normal looking. Right now I'm praying it's not ringworm because of the fact I'd be worried about all 5 of them getting treatment. But I'm also worried about what it might be if not ringworm.:sad:

Winston
November 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Dont worry! Wont do you much good anyway right? Your gonna have to wait until Sat for the tests so just wait it out...no need to stress anyway it certainly isnt life threatening...so why fret over something you cant change!

I am still leaning towards allergy of some kind..but we will have to wait and see!

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
You're right Winston. I just worry so much with anything having to do with them. They're my babies.

Jim Hall
November 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
im betting on play it sounds like what i see in strays and in the cattery sometimes if its growing back and you doint see any fefes from fleas or mites thats what is probaly is

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I hope you're right Jim. That's one of the things I've been mulling around in my head. He and Maks are the ones who scrap the most, and when I see them scrappling I notice Maks gets hold of Vlad's head. So, I'm hoping it's just as simple as that.

Jim Hall
November 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
and i know too well the oh s*** felling of the proxpect of a costly vet visit

ancientgirl
November 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Yes, I'd be looking at $200 for all of them to just get one treatment if they have been exposed to ringworm or any fungus. So right now, the boys fighting would be the best case scenario. :shrug:

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Great news! Vlad's culture is negative so it's not ringworm. His patches are growing hair so that's good.

I'm going to keep watch on him but right now, I'm thinking it was just a fight gone wacky.

He's fine in all other ways. Eating well, pooping well, driving Oksana crazy. :D

Thanks to everyone for your support and good thoughts.

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
That's great news, AG! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks. I was getting nervous about having to possibly treat everybody here!.

Love4himies
November 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Great news, ancientgirl :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks. I was getting nervous about having to possibly treat everybody here!.
I definitely hear ya! I think the last time we had to treat everyone here the bill came to about $900! :eek: Ouch!

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks L4H.

Hazel, I'd have been looking at at least $600 for full treatments. No way can I afford that right now.

chico2
November 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
AG,that's good news for sure:thumbs up,the thought of ring-worms is awful,I've never had a cat with any kind of worms except for when they were kittens.

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah Chico, it's a relief. Now I just have to keep an eye on him. Him not having ringworm is a relief, but now I'll be hoping I don't see anymore patches because of course I'll keep worrying.

CaptainOlimar
November 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Great news! Vlad's culture is negative so it's not ringworm. His patches are growing hair so that's good.

I'm going to keep watch on him but right now, I'm thinking it was just a fight gone wacky.

He's fine in all other ways. Eating well, pooping well, driving Oksana crazy. :D

Thanks to everyone for your support and good thoughts.

Yay!! I'm just now reading this thread, so happy it's not a fungus (ring worm is a fungus, right?)

CaptainOlimar
November 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I definitely hear ya! I think the last time we had to treat everyone here the bill came to about $900! :eek: Ouch!

Holy crap! With five cats now that is my worst fear. What were you treating them for?

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Yes, ringworm is a fungus.

Now my other worry is Maks' left ear. He was scratching at it last week and had a section that was almost raw. Now his ear is losing it's hair. I suspect it has something to do with Czari.

I've noticed her licking his left ear, A LOT. And she sometimes bites at it. When I see her I move her away. I'm thinking she's licking him too much. Still, I'm putting the same cream I've been putting on Vlad. Just in case he could develop something because of Czari's licking.:shrug:

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 09:06 PM
AG, Lil Belle is always licking Cass and Macie's ears raw :frustrated: The vet gave us something called Synotic to put on the chapped areas--it works like a charm, but I'm not sure if it's something that you can use on cats.

Holy crap! With five cats now that is my worst fear. What were you treating them for?

We have 8 dogs...I believe the last $900 med bill was for leptospirosis a year-and-a-half ago. :rolleyes: *sigh* The time before that was for anaplasmosis (a tick-borne disease). :o

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Hazel, yeah, the base of his ear, where he's got this little flap (I don't know what it's called but all cats have it) is crusty and I can see it's getting chapped. I'm going to write down that medicine and ask my vet if I can use that on Maks. Or if there is something I can use. Poor little guy, he just sits there and lets her lick.

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hazel, yeah, the base of his ear, where he's got this little flap (I don't know what it's called but all cats have it) is crusty and I can see it's getting chapped. I'm going to write down that medicine and ask my vet if I can use that on Maks. Or if there is something I can use. Poor little guy, he just sits there and lets her lick.

It's .01% fluocinolone acetonide in a DMSO (60%) base. It does say on the bottle that it's for use in dogs only--but there might be an analogous formula for cats :fingerscr It sure does do the job on dog ears--it's great for the chapped areas and if we need to use an antifungal for a yeasty ear infection, we use the Synotic in conjunction with it--the DMSO helps the meds penetrate the skin! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hopefully there's something for cats. Maybe there's something people related i can use. LOL, Chap-stix just popped into my head.:rolleyes:

Whatever it is, I'll get some for him. I can pull Czari away when I'm hear but when I'm not she'll likely keep licking him so I may have an ongoing problem.

14+kitties
November 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Great that you don't have to worry about ringworm anymore. :thumbs up I am sure if needed you would have found a way to treat them. Thank dawg it wasn't needed! Now to get Maks' ear looked after. Sweet of Czari to be grooming him all the time. She has taken a real shine to her Maks. :cloud9: And he quite obviously loves her too.

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I suppose you could always try bitter apple on Maks' ear! :rolleyes: Though that might make him less inclined to want to groom it... :o

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Great that you don't have to worry about ringworm anymore. :thumbs up I am sure if needed you would have found a way to treat them. Thank dawg it wasn't needed! Now to get Maks' ear looked after. Sweet of Czari to be grooming him all the time. She has taken a real shine to her Maks. :cloud9: And he quite obviously loves her too.

Yeah, I'd have had no choice but to figure something out. I couldn't have them all suffering with that.

Maks is such a little sweetie. He really just wants to be around everybody. Czari licks him, then nips at him. LOL, I'm assuming that's her way of telling him she likes him, but she's the boss. :shrug: Most of the time he'll let her do whatever, but somethings the little guy won't be a pushover.:laughing: But he's really the only one she'll play with and groom. Now and then I'll see her touch noses with Vlad, but she will still just swat at Oksana and Kiska.

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Maks is obviously the ladies' man of the Pride :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I suppose you could always try bitter apple on Maks' ear! :rolleyes: Though that might make him less inclined to want to groom it... :o

The way his ear looks now, I'd be afraid of putting something that might sting him. And yes, he'd likely stop grooming his own ear too.:D

Hopefully there's some kind of ointment type thing I can use that will help. Right now, I'm using the fungus stuff I got for Vlad. That might be what she tells me to keep using. :shrug:

I'll ask on Tuesday. It's Kiska's first wellness exam so I can ask about Maks when I'm there.

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM

LOL, not as far as Oksana is concerned.:laughing:

Karin
November 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
It's .01% fluocinolone acetonide in a DMSO (60%) base. It does say on the bottle that it's for use in dogs only--but there might be an analogous formula for cats :fingerscr It sure does do the job on dog ears--it's great for the chapped areas and if we need to use an antifungal for a yeasty ear infection, we use the Synotic in conjunction with it--the DMSO helps the meds penetrate the skin! :thumbs up

I always have DMSO on hand. I have the 90 percent gel right now, shoot I use it sometimes on myself.
Just an fyi, most of these products can be bought at most farm supply outlets in Florida. Even meds for ringworm and DMSO etc.
My vet, (when Ciara was still with me) charged $1.20 ea for a Monoject 3cc syringe with a 22g needle. These stores sell the same for .22 cents each. You can buy a 50ml vial of Procaine Penicillin for $15 when the vet charges $28 for 1, 2cc injection pre-loaded.
Mark up prices with many vets can go as high as 300 percent. I know, I use to do the pricing.
I do not argue that vets need to make money, they are NOT a not for profit organization after all. But if you have the know how and cannot afford certain things, there are other ways.
AG, see if you have a Seminole Store in your area and any of the like. You would be very surprised by the products carried and the prices.

ancientgirl
November 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I don't have one of those near me. But I do have a Fosters & Smith catalog, which looks to carry some veterinary products.

A friend of mine had told me about where to buy the Sulfure soap, which she used to treat her dogs mange. It wasn't a bad case he had, it was the mild kind, but I imagine it's close to the lime sulfur dips they use. When I gave Vlad a bath a couple of weeks ago with it, it and he smelled just like when they use the stuff. I remember what Maks smelled like when I brought him home after I found him and took him to them. He had to have 3 dip treatments and he smelled like that stuff for almost 2 months.

Love4himies
November 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM

He is a little sweetie, any feline lady would fall for such a gentleman :lovestruck:

Winston
November 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
AG hurray for no ringworm! Just wondering is the spot on Maks ear where he can get to it? I would go the drugstore and buy some polysporin or even a vitamin e in liquid form. This way if they can access the area by licking this stuff it wont hurt them. You could put in on and keep Maks in your lap for say 10 minutes for it to absorbe and then if Czari or Maks start licking at it then at least you have gotten something on it. Maybe it has to do with the bacteria in a cats mouth? Maybe when she bites and licks he is reacting to it? Just a thought?

Sounds like Czari has a wonderful friend in Maks and I am so glad she has adjusted to indoor life! You must be so thrilled at how far your little girl has come!! :thumbs up

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Winston, I realized I have some coconut oil, and I can probably use that. I don't have much left, but I've got a great place near me that I can get more and I'll stop by there tomorrow on my way home.

Czari needs some dental work, so it very well could be the bacteria in her mouth. I don't know, I'll have to pose that question to the vet.

I'm absolutely thrilled as to how well she's adjusted. Out of all of them, she's really the only one who likes to cuddle on my lap. Yesterday she was all curled up on her back, with her feet all curled up. I wanted to get a picture but I couldn't reach my camera and moving would have woken her up. :D

L4H, Maks really is a little gentleman. There's not a mean bone in his little body.