Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Growing in Numbers on Kijiji

ILoveOnyx
November 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I always do this, I don't know why... but I go on www.montreal.kijiji.ca and look at the "dogs & puppies for sale" section, because I know that that's where my dog's former owner (ex's cousin) bought him from - that's another story on its own - but anyway... has anyone ever realized the disgusting amount of puppies being sold on that site? AND IT KEEPS ON GROWING!

Every time I go on that section there's always 2 pages full of pups made from advertisements posted just a few minutes to a couple hours before. Doesn't that disgust any of you...? If you bought your dog from kijiji, I'm not saying the site itself is disgusting... I'm saying the growing numbers are.

And what gets me :mad: even more is when you click on an ad, and you scroll down to "View poster's other ads" the list sometimes can fill up a whole page, and not one ad is of the same dog!

I really wish I could be part of a puppy mill raid team or something.

P.S. The current number of ads on the "dogs & puppies for sale" right now is 4949... sad...

susieqt
November 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM
It is funny you mention this today as I was going to post about Kijiji, too! I avoid going to this site as it is very sickening; I cannot believe the amount of dogs and cats on this site to sell or give away. Backyard breeders and puppymills must be in 7th heaven with this free publicity!!
What a world we live in, very sad.

BenMax
November 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Rescues are aware of Kiiji and Craiglist. We 'jot' down as much information as possible. Also, every effort is made to pull out as many as possible that are 'give aways' especially those that are intact. Many e-mails are sent to these people posting as well.

There are NO GOOD 'breeders' that use this method as a means to attract potential 'buyers' of pets. Those with the CKC do not (I pray) use this classified ad to promote the sale of their dogs.

The majority of people that give away their dogs and cats using this type of media are totally unaware whom, or where their beloved pet are going to. Once notified, they will turn towards a rescue to help...after they find out that there are actually rescue organizations out there.

Mat&Murph
November 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys for bringing this issue up. The problem with sites like that is nobody s getting educated on the breed or mixed breeds of the animals they are getting. Not to mention the health issues. It is sad when you think of all the puppies and kittens that are really getting lost in the suffle for a quick buck.

ILoveOnyx
November 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Tell me about it... I didn't know my dog was bought from kijiji until maybe 4 months after I rescued him, when he caught Parvo Virus, I demanded to know where his former owner bought him from. Big suprise, he bought him from one of the ads on kijiji.

The dog might have not costed him a lot at first, but once I took Onyx in he was malnourished, he had symptoms of Demodex and then the Parvo I was talking about.

My personal choice would've been from a reputable breeder, but... it makes me sleep better at night knowing that Onyx is a rescue :)

BenMax
November 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I dare say Onyx has an :angel: now and is living a life that he otherwise would not have.

ILoveOnyx
November 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I dare say Onyx has an :angel: now and is living a life that he otherwise would not have.

I wouldn't say an angel... just a loving mommy :), like every other parent to their cat(s) and dog(s)

ILoveOnyx
November 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
By the way... the number is now 4941... which probably means, 8 have expired... *sigh*

The penalties are next to useless for these backyard breeders and mills.

Mat&Murph
November 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
It is awsome there are people like you guys who do the rescues!!!! We need more people to do them. I had one rescue years ago and she turned out great. But now with small kids at home I like to know what I am getting into. For everyone's sake. Backyard breeder and puppy mill people need harder penilties or some of the people need to get their animals fixed!!!!

CClover
November 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Kijiijijiiiii (whatever) is the tip of the iceberg.So many of us are tracking those add and making complaint to errase those adds,it only makes them move on another website and go on.
1 1/2 year ago I made all the bad choices.But since I learned so much,I'm triyng to help ppl find dogs first in rescue then from the very best breeder.

I'm one of the very few lucky one,my baby is just fine.Don't get me wrong I love my sweet baby, but when you realize that she comes from the guy who is on TV cause there have been a raid (Rawdon) it hurts.

Be proud from where you buy your pups.I'll never be for this one.

I believe it should be illigal to sell animals on those websites...

BenMax
November 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
This is another avenue that should be regulated but sadly is not. The most disturbing thing on kiiji is people specifically looking of intact dogs to be their dogs 'companion'.

Sick sick sick society.

duttypaws
November 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
yep this is brought up every few months on here... craigslist is just as bad... its so sad... i had to just stop looking at them else I really would have a house full of animals..

ILoveOnyx
November 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
The number of puppies is only one of the contributions of making me sick. But the other thing is like what BenMax said... those ads sometimes scream out "Chien pour accouplement"... like we really need more ads on there.

And on top of that, the prices are just ridiculous.

$400... $500... for a MIX??? Rrrrright.

Mat&Murph
November 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I agree Onyx. The prices are nuts for a mix even a pure breed, you are getting basicly no medical history or background. Only what they want to tell you. Of course they are going to say the dog or cat is great with no health issus. All part of the scam with poor animals without a voice to say otherwise

lavandula
November 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
good night everyone,

i've been looking at those ads for a few weeks only... and my impression is that most of them come from backyard breeders and puppy mills... or from pet shops who get their dogs from alledgedly a good breeder they know very well, out of town... :evil:

most of them don't have a phone # either... i have a tendency to believe that once they receive all the e-mail replies they want, they'll reply to those that seems the easiest to convince...

all these little creatures deserve our love... but they're also coming with genetic problems from inbreeding or many other health and temperament problems we all know of... :sick::cry::sad:

everyone i know who got their dog from a petshop have to deal with serious health or temperament problems... annoying and expensive... :eek:

and they only have one left from that litter... yeah... because the other ones died of malnutrition or maltreatment... :eek:

a lot of people asking for a dog for free because they've just lost theirs, pure bred, expensive, and they're in tears and cannot afford to buy another one... preferably not neutred because they want to have puppies with their neighbour's dog... b*** $***

this is frustrating... a lot of time consuming... when you're sincerely looking for adding good 4-legged companion to your family... :frustrated:

there should be a new sign available: "beware of dog seller"

the more we'll talk about it, the more people will be aware of it... :dog:

lavandula :crazy: and kanuk :pawprint:

boxerlover2008
November 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hey Everyone,

I too am soo disgusted with the amount of puppies for sale on Kijiji, and just as disgusted with the amount of people advertising their male dogs for stud services. Now puppy mill owners can advertise all over the place with no problems, and for free! A lot of potential pet buyers out there don't see the other side of these things and figure it's an easy cheap place to find a dog.

Maybe if we continue to write to Kijiji about this issue, they will remove the 'Pets for Sale' section of their website. I encourage everyone to do so! We have to try...

ScottieDog
November 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hi, I know this primarily a site for Canadians, but I ran into this while researching trying to find a new dog. Apparently, there are 2 CKC organizations. I mention this because I have an online friend who is an reputabale breeder in Canada. She was unaware of this. You have the Canadian Kennel Club. In the States, there is a Continental Kennel Club. If you are not aware of this organization, please do some research. It isn't a good thing. I was looking for information about a specific breed and saw some that were CKC registered. I was curious why the breeder would register with the Canadian Kennel Club instead of the AKC. The Continental Kennel Club is designed to allow "questionable" breeders (I will attempt to be kind here) to "register" non-registerable dogs. Especially the trendy "designer" mixes that are so popular in the States. (i.e. the kiki-stinki-poos, dandy-doodle-doos types.) Having the "registry" allows these "breeders" to sell their teacups, minis and mixes for very high prices. The people who don't do their research are spending huge amounts of money for mixed-breed dogs that are not healthy and then have huge vet bills, or dump the animals at shelters.

I guess I was naive, but this is going on in my area so much and it is sickening. Good breeders are having problems because their well-breed pups with health tested parents cost more money than the dogs from back yard breeders and mills. But the poor quality breeders aren't just cranking out poor quality pure-breed dogs. The money is in making the mixes. Why breed a poor quality Scottie that will get $400, when you can stick a Scottie and a Westie together, call it a Scottish Highlander and make $1,000? It is truly sickening. And yes, there are listings for my area on Craigslist and the Kijiji thing. Sorry this is long, but I hate to see people associate our crap Continental registry with your quality CKC.

boxerlover2008
November 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Hey Guys,

So I wrote to them the other day, and got a response! I truly urge everyone to do the same - not just for Montreal - but for all the locations! Hey, it's worth a try!!! See below:

Message From Myself:
> I find Kijiji a wonderful site to find used and new things at a reasonable price. I recently bought winter tires off of here. However, it disgusts me how many puppies are for sale on this website! They're are hundreds of 'back yard breeders', brokers, and puppy mills on here. And Kijiji is only contributing to this ever growing problem. Quebec is the puppy mill capital of North America. The reason being so, is because Quebec's laws do nothing for the animals, and because of websites like these that anyone can advertise on for free. Now every puppymill owner can just come on here and adverstise their puppies so they can make some $$$. These people do not treat their animals properly and only do it to make $$$. They're are thousands of homeless animals out there right now, because of people like these. Please, remove the Pets for Sale section of this site for the sake of all these poor animals.

Response:
> Thank you for contacting Kijiji Canada Community Support.

Your suggestions are important to us. I have taken note of your submission and will share it with my team at our next site development meeting.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write to us.

BPISS
November 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Those with the CKC do not (I pray) use this classified ad to promote the sale of their dogs.

Pray Harder, because they do use Kijiji.
Just last Month on a Yahoo Group I belong to they were arguing that it`s their choice where they want to advertise, as long as they screen applicants accordingly.:loser:`s

Chris21711
November 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
boxerlover 2008 I got the same dumb answer from Kijiji a couple of months ago, but it still goes on. I think that that is just a standard email they send to anyone who contacts them :loser:

BenMax
November 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Pray Harder, because they do use Kijiji.
Just last Month on a Yahoo Group I belong to they were arguing that it`s their choice where they want to advertise, as long as they screen applicants accordingly.:loser:`s

Get the heck out!!! So how do they consider themselves good 'responsible' breeders then?? Sorry to hear this..thanks for the info!

BPISS
November 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Get the heck out!!! So how do they consider themselves good 'responsible' breeders then?? Sorry to hear this..thanks for the info!

I think it would depend on ''their'' interpretation of the word responsible. Personally I feel if they have to advertise to find Homes, they are doing something wrong and shouldn't be Breeding.

Mat&Murph
November 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
That is discusting the a CKC breeder is advertising on these sites. :loser: I wonder if the kennel Club knows

faranya
November 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Halifax Kijiji is crowded with dogs and cats. Many are giveaways, often because the owners are supposedly "moving". Prices are astronomical for mixed-breeds. Some ads are probably scams. Many are for pit bulls and related breeds but I can sense that these aren't being posted just to find good homes for the dogs; there's a certain gang subculture that considers pit bulls a status symbol, and these are the dogs that end up being badly handled. And it's sickening how many people consider their pets disposable and seem to just give them away at the least inconvenience.

Still, once in awhile some good can come of Kijiji. It can be a source of very useful and interesting links to breeders or animal rescue groups. I found out through one ad about a valid rescue organization in NS that operates by fostering all its animals, rather than maintaining shelters. It sponsors numerous programs to assist homeless, feral and abused animals. The site has many photos of their various adoptables. Once I got there, I found a kitten that is so much like my Gollum that I couldn't believe it!! (I hope he won't have the major health issues, though ... Gollum's been unlucky in that department). Anyhow, I am adopting the kitty and will be picking him up next week once he's had his vet tests and shots.

Although Kijiji worked for me, I don't feel they should be used to sell live animals. There's simply no control over the authenticity and integrity of the ads and advertisers.

Etown_Chick
November 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
OH I get so damm tired of the 'designer' breeds and the people who have several different ages of pups to sell. OMG don't buyers have any clues at all? What is it going to take to shut these people down? I've even seen people post warnings to potential buyers but it makes no difference. If the ads didn't work these people would stop using it, so obviously it does..sigh.

omniiv
November 25th, 2008, 01:21 PM
In my opinion, this thread is disgusting. How DARE you patronize people who buy from sites like kijiji? Why shouldnt reputable breeders sell there?

Yes, there are alot of questionable breeders out there but like anything else in real life, YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. I think the site is fantastic, and it gives reputable breeders good publicity and makes them more accessible to the general public.

And yes, I have bought a puppy from KIJIJI, and no I didnt pay thousands of dollars for a pure bred. But like any consumer buying online, I did my research, and I dealt with a local breeder I could meet in person. I made sure it was a reputable breeder, and I could not be happier with the sale. Heck, the breeder is even willing to take back the puppy if I can no longer care for him or if the pup develops costly medical conditions, etc etc. I am still in touch with the breeder actually.

I think you all need to get off your high horses and address the real problem. You need to educate the average consumer about puppy mills and the like, and also, the possible risks of buying pets (or anything else for that matter) online. It used to be the local buy/sell paper advertisements, now its the internet. I don't see any difference.

AmericanBullMom
November 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
In my opinion, this thread is disgusting. How DARE you patronize people who buy from sites like kijiji? Why shouldnt reputable breeders sell there?

How dare we? Have YOU gone into a shelter and watched a dog be euthanized because someone like yourself just HAD to have a purebred puppy? Do you SHOW said dog? Why not adopt from a rescue?

Yes, there are alot of questionable breeders out there but like anything else in real life, YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. I think the site is fantastic, and it gives reputable breeders good publicity and makes them more accessible to the general public.

Sure, maybe in between the "free to good home", or "I cant keep my animal because my new land lord wont allow me", or " I dont know how it happened but my female cat had a litter of kittens" there MIGHT be a reputable breeder, but the MAJORITY are BACK YARD BREEDERS, and YOU have helped them.

And yes, I have bought a puppy from KIJIJI, and no I didnt pay thousands of dollars for a pure bred. But like any consumer buying online, I did my research, and I dealt with a local breeder I could meet in person. I made sure it was a reputable breeder, and I could not be happier with the sale. Heck, the breeder is even willing to take back the puppy if I can no longer care for him or if the pup develops costly medical conditions, etc etc. I am still in touch with the breeder actually.

You didnt pay thousands of dollars? WOW! You can ADOPT a dog for $20-35 around here! A dog that desperately needs a home, or will be put down. You can find a rescue and ADOPT a purebred dog.

I think you all need to get off your high horses and address the real problem. You need to educate the average consumer about puppy mills and the like, and also, the possible risks of buying pets (or anything else for that matter) online. It used to be the local buy/sell paper advertisements, now its the internet. I don't see any difference.
So No, I think I might just stay up here on my horse, and IIII, unlike yourself, will SAVE the life of a dog or cat that will most likely appreciate NOT dying!!!

Perhaps its YOUR horse that you should get off of. Since you obvisouly have NO idea what your talking about.

BenMax
November 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Omniiv - It is obvious that you are not in rescue/shelter worker. Infact the people within this board are very well aware and educated as to what classified ads are and what are the outcome for the vast majority of these animals that are listed in Kiiji. I seriously feel that you need to perhaps educate yourself.

Because you are naiive - I will comment no further. I must politely add however that you have picked the wrong place to 'educate' those that are involved in stopping puppymills and educating those that seem to ignor all warnings of the dangers of putting up classified ads for live animals.

BTW - there are puppymills that do advertise in Kiiji....(you have more than likely a byb or indeed from a miller).

Please refrain from insulting members of this board.

I thank you in advance.

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
i'm going to be rather polite about this, i know surprising.

a reputable breeder ' DOES NOT' advertise on kijiji, they advertise through ckc or akc documentation. Or through breed specific catalogues or word of mouth. Not on a site that promotes the mass breeding for profit. A reputable breeder breeds to keep the bloodline pure.

I myself do own a purebred, ckc registered, show and hunting dog on both sides of his bloodline. I also own 2 mutts that were rescued from YOUR idea of a reputable breeder. Just because they will take a dog back due to illness( which wouldn't be passed down with a reputable breeder) or what ever reason. Or the fact they keep the place clean doesn't make them reputable. they are still a byb, they are breeding for profit not the quality of the line.

Before you bash any of the members on this site or any other you should do your homework on them. Many are in rescues, foster, volunteer etc to look after these poor animals. They take in the castoffs from kijiji and sites like it.

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Because you are naiive - I will comment no further. I must politely add however that you have picked the wrong place to 'educate' those that are involved in stopping puppymills and educating those that seem to ignor all warnings of the dangers of putting up classified ads for live animals.

:thumbs up Benmax. I have nothing to add, I think all you guys have said what I wanted to say :thumbs up

ILoveOnyx
November 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM

First of all... just so you know, and everyone else knows. I started this thread because my friend had bought MY dog from KIJIJI and I faced a $2, 000 vet bill to treat Parvo virus and an extra $500 to get rid of his demodex... FIVE DAYS AFTER I HAD HIM!

Why I "dare" to write a thread about it, is because I think it's disgusting, shameful and disgraceful. This is a good place for pet owners and/or future pet owners to learn and get more information on before and/or after they get a companion of their own. I don't know how some of those people can sleep at night thinking that they are making these wonderful "designer" mixes, and for you to have the audacity to say how dare we disagree on this type of free advertising, I think, is ignorant of you.

Have you not gone to your local SPCA? Do you not watch the news and listen to some of the busts they do on puppy mills? Have you looked at the giveaway section on the site?

Lucky you didn't face a whopping $2, 500 to keep your puppy alive the first week you had him. BUT I DID! And I would never want to let that happen to anyone else.

Mat&Murph
November 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
As a pure breed owner, I just want to say that sites that promote puppy mills or byb should be banned. It is only luck he you actually get a healthy pet off these sites. If you do your research on your breed that you are looking for, then you don't need those sites!!!!! My breeder is a breeder in good standing with the Canadain Kennel Club and the Canadian Mastiff Ass. and he doesn't advertise!!!

Believe me, if I didn't have small childeren I would be doing fostering out of a shelter and giving a chance to these poor pets that have had a sad life from birth!!!! I would suggest for some people to do their research!!!! But that is my :2cents:

BenMax
November 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thank you ILoveOnyx for sharing your story. I am certain that whoever reads this thread will appreciate your input and personal experiences.

BTW - I infact do pull dogs from Kiiji that are intact purebreds or otherwise. I have them vet checked and sterilized before adoption. If I can get them before the millers...then I do so as it is my way of trying to stop this cycle.

BMDLuver
November 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
The dogs from St Lin and Rawdon were advertised for sale on Kijijii... shouldn't that say it all? :wall:

BenMax
November 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM
The dogs from St Lin and Rawdon were advertised for sale on Kijijii... shouldn't that say it all? :wall:

It most certainly does - thank you BDMLuver! Proof is in the pudding!

catlover2
November 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Puppy mills in Quebec....yes legislation & licencing is needed!! They can't do it soon enough. I would never buy a dog from a free newspaper ad, pet store or flea market. If you want a pet, please buy from proper rescue and humane societies, or buy from registered reputable breeders.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051111/puppy_mill_051111/20051112/

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/11/20/que-puppy-mills.html?ref=rss

ILoveOnyx
November 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM

YES! Finally! Another one who observes where these pups are being sold!

I say we gather those "breeders" and cage them up with no food or water and make them have babies, and their babies have babies, and see how they like it.

*Sigh* What do we have to do to get our province to realize that this isn't cute?!

BMDLuver
November 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Don't forget allowing them to stand in their own feces for multiple months and eating food crawling with maggots oh yeah...... and dead rotting siblings.. Yeah, love Kijijii......:mad:

ILoveOnyx
November 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Don't forget allowing them to stand in their own feces for multiple months and eating food crawling with maggots oh yeah...... and dead rotting siblings.. Yeah, love Kijijii......:mad:

LOL! Yea, that's a detail I foolishly forgot about! So, who's with me? Haha

erin_e_123
November 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I did get my puppy off a kijiji posting, but my boyfriend and i did alot of research before we purchased him. We went with a local posting and went to the advertiser's home. They showed us the parents and took us around thier property. They also had gotten him his first round of shots and had dewormed him and gave us the paper work from their vet. They also gave us a life-time health guarentee. So we lucked out with our little man, but we were really carefull and again, did our research. We did go to a few shelters first, but we were looking for a small breed, which we couldn't find in the shelters. But I do agree with everyone about kijiji. There were so many postings and many of them were really sketchy. Fortunatly we were very lucky though!

ILoveOnyx
November 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
There were so many postings and many of them were really sketchy. Fortunatly we were very lucky though!

You see... this is what I'm trying to get across... is that, why should we or future pet owners have to strike a lucky advertisement to get our healthy puppies? Thank goodness you were one of them, but... why are there only a small scale of numbers that get to be lucky? Because there's so many other ads that don't advertise the truth!

I don't think anyone should try their luck at finding a healthy pup, maybe if there weren't puppy factories, reproducing might be able to be controlled, and we'd all have healthy dogs.

But... maybe in another life.

omniiv
November 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
You see... this is what I'm trying to get across... is that, why should we or future pet owners have to strike a lucky advertisement to get our healthy puppies? Thank goodness you were one of them, but... why are there only a small scale of numbers that get to be lucky? Because there's so many other ads that don't advertise the truth!

I don't think anyone should try their luck at finding a healthy pup, maybe if there weren't puppy factories, reproducing might be able to be controlled, and we'd all have healthy dogs.

But... maybe in another life.

Good god...

Im guessing you are fairly new to the internet. What you missed in my post is these two points:

1. Internet is filled with garbage, scams, and the like. The internet is still largely unregulated. There are many reasons for this: websites like KIJIJI, and craigslist simply do not have the manpower to audit their listings. They also lack the infrastructure of sites like ebay, to protect the consumer. Finally, there is to "government mandate" that the websites must follow.
2. Do your research before you buy.

Like erin_e_123 says, buy locally, visit the breeder, ask if they are registered with any kennel clubs, ask if the dog comes with any sort of contracts, play with the pup`s parents, examine them. Even better, is the breeder is asking you any questions, are they at all concerned about where their puppy is going, etc etc etc. There is really no "luck" involved if you DO YOUR RESEARCH. It certainly IS possible to buy from a legit breeder on KIJIJI unlike some egotistical people seem to believe on this board...

IloveOnyx, i know what you are saying, but there is no such thing as "luck" in these deals. One simply has to be well informed when purchasing a pet, or anything else for that matter. Just like when buying a new home, there are bad deals, and there are good deals. You do your research, you get a realtor you can trust, you get a home inspection, the list goes on! You don't just luck out and end up with a good home... You simply have to do your research. I don't know how else I could emphasize this.

Sadly, the world will never work as you want it to ILoveOnyx, and there will always be people who buy their pets from stores.

What I would like to get across is this: Be responsible and buy responsibly, and TEACH OTHERS how to do the same.

Edit:
A quick google search found this: http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/Good_breeder.pdf
How easy was that?

BenMax
November 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Omniiv - I guess you just don't get it. I am very sorry that this has not been just a little enlightning for you. I guess when you make a mistake it's hard to admit it.

I think that it is perhaps yourself that is misinformed. Almost everyone here is very familiar with classified ads and the reprecusions.

Good luck to you.

luckypenny
November 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I have yet to meet an ethical breeder who'd use the same tools to advertise alongside puppymillers and byb's :shrug:. That's like a physiotherapist advertising in the classifieds of a smut magazine :rolleyes:.

omniiv
November 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
lol, what did i say about people and their ego's on this board...

The world isnt black and white, just gray. Why is it so hard for you to believe there are legitimate breeders on KIJIJI?

luckypenny
November 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM

:laughing: I notice you're still here too.

I think it's ok to agree to disagree at this point :shrug:.

How about starting a thread to introduce us to you and your pup omniiv?

Frenchy
November 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Egos have nothing to do with this.

So we're all wrong and YOU'RE right ? Please ! :rolleyes:

omniiv
November 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
:laughing: I notice you're still here too.

I think it's ok to agree to disagree at this point :shrug:.

How about starting a thread to introduce us to you and your pup omniiv?

Guess so. :) Here is my little guy, the picture was when he was 4 months.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/383/puppyps8.jpg

Frenchy, maybe my first post was a bit rude, and too defensive... Please re-read my second post. I am not saying you are all wrong. I am not saying it is OK for puppy mills/backyard breeders to post on KIJIJI. I acknowledge all the garbage that exists on the net. But, luck should not be a factor when buying a pet, anywhere, when you are a well informed, responsible person.

besides, kijiji is a tool, nothing else. How you use it is your choice.

It just bugs me when people take one extreme and refuse to hear otherwise. Like I said, there is no black and white.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Gorgeous baby! Simply gorgeous.

Despite all - I am pleased that you are happy with your dog.

ILoveOnyx
December 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Good god...

Im guessing you are fairly new to the internet.

I'm a web & graphic designer, I think I know my way around the internet more than you ever will.

What you missed in my post is these two points:

1. Internet is filled with garbage, scams, and the like. The internet is still largely unregulated. There are many reasons for this: websites like KIJIJI, and craigslist simply do not have the manpower to audit their listings. They also lack the infrastructure of sites like ebay, to protect the consumer. Finally, there is to "government mandate" that the websites must follow.
2. Do your research before you buy.

What part of MY FRIEND WAS THE ONE WHO BOUGHT IT did you not understand? Would you like me to translate this to you in French and/or any other language?

Like erin_e_123 says, buy locally, visit the breeder, ask if they are registered with any kennel clubs, ask if the dog comes with any sort of contracts, play with the pup`s parents, examine them. Even better, is the breeder is asking you any questions, are they at all concerned about where their puppy is going, etc etc etc. There is really no "luck" involved if you DO YOUR RESEARCH. It certainly IS possible to buy from a legit breeder on KIJIJI unlike some egotistical people seem to believe on this board...

Meaning... who? Myself and the rest of the board who strongly believe that FREE advertisement is no way to get your pups sold? I hope you know that reputable breeders do NOT advertise, and have their pups usually reserved and/or sold BEFORE they're even born. So please, spare me your so-called knowledge.

IloveOnyx, i know what you are saying, but there is no such thing as "luck" in these deals. One simply has to be well informed when purchasing a pet, or anything else for that matter. Just like when buying a new home, there are bad deals, and there are good deals. You do your research, you get a realtor you can trust, you get a home inspection, the list goes on! You don't just luck out and end up with a good home... You simply have to do your research. I don't know how else I could emphasize this.

So you're saying you use Kijiji as your trustworthy realtor? Right... so much for credibility.

Sadly, the world will never work as you want it to ILoveOnyx, and there will always be people who buy their pets from stores.

That's like saying a couple of reusable bags isn't going to stop global warming, WELL NO DUH! Everyone has to work together, did I say I was going to stop it all by myself? Have you not read the whole thread? EVERY ONE tries to do their part, and clearly you aren't, but I'm not blasting you about it. So don't come at me like you know all about me and all the number of hours of volounteering I've put in.

What I would like to get across is this: Be responsible and buy responsibly, and TEACH OTHERS how to do the same.

Teaching how? By asking me how DARE I post this thread? What an effective approach in getting a message across!

Edit:
A quick google search found this: http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/Good_breeder.pdf
How easy was that?

I am trying to do my best to be as polite as I can about this. For you to post your response asking me how DARE I even "patronize" these so-called breeders, is ignorant of you, but sure, I guess you didn't know I had to spend so much money to keep my baby alive, how would you have known? But again, IGNORANCE. If you want to keep buying your dogs at Kijiji, go right ahead, it only feeds me more motivation to stop those backyard breeders.

Write as many posts as you like about your beliefs on purchasing on the net, but don't tell me I lack knowledge on using it... WHEN I MAKE WEBSITES!

ILoveOnyx
December 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
It just bugs me when people take one extreme and refuse to hear otherwise. Like I said, there is no black and white.

:laughing: You're one to talk.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
ILoveOnyx - we all here know what you went through. I for one know that if her experiences were that of yours perhaps she would not have been so naiive.

She has mentioned that she lives in the grey...well grey is a safe zone not one that is open.

You have done great ILoveOnyx and I for one want to thank you for sharing your experiences. I work in rescue and I have yet to see an animal that I have pulled from there requiring no vetting!

We all know that legitimate breeders are not on Kiiji! And I am living in black and white by the way....which is reality.

ILoveOnyx
December 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hmm. Subject dropped.

Let bygones be bygones. If he/she wants to live in the grey, that's fine.

I said what I had to say.

omniiv
December 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well, I think my recent replies went mostly misunderstood or got twisted into oblivion... So I think I'll stop after this since im just beating a dead horse... I will only say this, why is it so hard for you to believe it is possible to find few good ads in a pool of a thousand? I guess there is no such thing.

If breeder is on kijiji, that breeder is bad. Got it. I guess the dog shows that my breeder attends, the contract, the health guarantee, the healthy sire and dam, the support i received from the breeder after purchase, etc etc, are all bogus, designed very meticulously to fool me.

I'm sorry if you had such a bad experience, and hope you dont go through that again.

ILoveOnyx
December 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Congratulations on finding the right breeder. Your research was well paid for.