Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue Remidy

snowflake1
November 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I probably spelt it wrong and even called it the wrong thing..
anyways... I am moving in 2 weeks and I have heard that the rescue remidy is suppose to be really good at calming cats and dogs down. I have one cat that just freaks when placed into a carrier to where he starts to pant and sheds really bad.
I am only moving 2 hours away, but I would like my pets to have a good experience and not freak out. SO the question I am asking is rescue remidy good and does it work??
Also how much do you give them and when do you give it to them?? any help would be great. Thanks

angeldogs
November 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM
You can also use Mimulus which is good with fear and use vervain to calm them down,and vine if they are really going strong and when acting aggressive.it bach flower and it works good and you can get it at local health stores.we use it on dogs all the time.drop it in their water or on our fingers and rub in their mouth.but that way you also get it in your system.when stressed the vervain calms me down also.or drop it on their nose or skin.just don't let the dropper touch the animal.and they work better then the rescue remedy.

snowflake1
November 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
how long does it usually last for after you give it to them?

rainbow
November 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
From http://www.bachflowersforpets.com/Articles/ART_An_Overview_of_the_Bach_Flower_Essences.html .....

If you see no improvement in 20 minutes, administer an additional four drops.

totallyhip
November 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Recently I bought a Dog Appeasing Phermone plug in for my guys. I am not sure they make one for cats, but you might want to look into it and get one for the new place. It would help with the adjustment of the move.

Good luck with the move. I hate moving :yuck:

angeldogs
November 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Recently I bought a Dog Appeasing Phermone plug in for my guys. I am not sure they make one for cats, but you might want to look into it and get one for the new place. It would help with the adjustment of the move.

Good luck with the move. I hate moving :yuck:

There is a plugin one for cats.and you can also buy a spray.i believe the spray at pet value was $24.99 for 75 sprays.and it works good with dogs not sure about cats.

Once the bach remedy is in there system depending on the dog will determine how long it will last.we had a client with a very stressed rotti that was leading to aggession and they stopped putting it in her water not thinking everyday and the dog was calm for a few days afterwards.and it took 20-30 mins.and we have had better results with them.

snowflake1
November 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
thank you all for the info. I think this will make the move so much easier!! :)

sugarcatmom
November 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The pheromone diffuser (and spray) for cats is called Feliway. Can be tough to find in Canada. Some vets carry it but usually for big bucks. I think most members here order theirs online.

Have you tried covering up the carrier so that he can't see out?

duttypaws
November 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
yes i bought feliway for $$$ at the vet here in MTL.

I bought animal herbal drops for calming which i was going to use for flying but chose the valium in the end.... i'll tell you in 2 weeks if it was the right choice!

sugarcatmom
November 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I bought animal herbal drops for calming which i was going to use for flying but chose the valium in the end....

Have your cats been on valium before? If not, I urge you to rethink this. Some cats have a paradoxical drug reaction to diazepam and actually get more aggravated and stressed out rather than less. It would be a very bad scene if you were to find this out on the day of travel.

Also, if I remember correctly, they're going in the cargo hold and not in the cabin, correct? Sedating them in cargo is a no-no because there can be a compounding drop in the animal's blood pressure, with deadly consequences. And there would be nobody there to save them. Some airlines will not even board an animal that's been sedated for this reason. Honestly, a scared cat is better than a dead one. Of course they're going to be scared, they have no idea what's going on and it's noisy and unfamiliar. But in all likelihood they'll just huddle in the back of their carriers and wait for it to end. Adding the weird feeling of being drugged to the mix is not going to make it any more pleasant for them, they just won't be able to complain about it.

And one more issue with diazepam: while rare, it's been known to cause acute liver failure in some cats. I personally would never medicate my cat without a very good reason. Their physiology is so sensitive to so many things and we don't fully understand the repercussions of CNS suppressants like benzodiazepines on cats. Please reconsider.

Spiney
November 18th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I aquired a stray cat at nine months of age. I am a dog person and this is my first house cat. Pud was more than a handful as he was litter trained but not the least bit socialized. Within a week, he started spraying for no appearant reason. We live in a second floor apartment in a security building for the handicapped.

I took him to the vet right away for "the works" since I had no history. Desexing calmed him down somewhat and eliminated most of the spraying. I ordered a bottle of Rescue from Iherb as I had used it successfully for anxiety in dogs.

He is a kibble only cat and eats durring the night. When I get up in the morning his water bowl is dry. I put about one quarter cup of water in it with four drops and he gratefully drinks it down. At that point, I fill the bowl up. :thumbs up. The Rescue drops eliminated the residual spraying and calmed him down to a frisky cat. He only requires a second dose if I am having company as he is distrustful of strangers. He still won't interact with strangers but doesn't run and hide from them or act like a demon cat. Best wishes to all.

sugarcatmom
November 18th, 2008, 07:00 AM
He is a kibble only cat and eats durring the night. When I get up in the morning his water bowl is dry.

:offtopic:Please start feeding your cat some wet food. No cat should eat only kibble, and I dare say they shouldn't eat kibble at all, but at the very least, get some wet food in his diet before he ends up with urinary tract problems or diabetes.
http://www.catinfo.org/

duttypaws
November 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Have your cats been on valium before? If not, I urge you to rethink this. Some cats have a paradoxical drug reaction to diazepam and actually get more aggravated and stressed out rather than less. It would be a very bad scene if you were to find this out on the day of travel.

Also, if I remember correctly, they're going in the cargo hold and not in the cabin, correct? Sedating them in cargo is a no-no because there can be a compounding drop in the animal's blood pressure, with deadly consequences. And there would be nobody there to save them. Some airlines will not even board an animal that's been sedated for this reason. Honestly, a scared cat is better than a dead one. Of course they're going to be scared, they have no idea what's going on and it's noisy and unfamiliar. But in all likelihood they'll just huddle in the back of their carriers and wait for it to end. Adding the weird feeling of being drugged to the mix is not going to make it any more pleasant for them, they just won't be able to complain about it.

And one more issue with diazepam: while rare, it's been known to cause acute liver failure in some cats. I personally would never medicate my cat without a very good reason. Their physiology is so sensitive to so many things and we don't fully understand the repercussions of CNS suppressants like benzodiazepines on cats. Please reconsider.

Hi forgot about this post. Final outcome is they are getting no medication.

Basically I want happy about giving them anything it was more the fact lola is very nervous. My vet said kitty valium is fine, air canada cargo (in montreal) said its ok but when I called the main Cargo area he said he wouldnt recommend it (phew!) ... so he assured me cargo section isnt too loud (i was worried about the noise), its lit and heated.... they should be ok.

So we're flying natural :) makes me happier and hope they arent' belly up (in a bad way) when I land in heathrow!!!