Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat confusion

preacher41
November 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
My cat has recently started twitching the tip of his tail like he's annoyed, or something is irritating it. He also licks his back towards the tail, but not his anal region. his eating/litter box habits are normal, no sign of worms, fleas or anything that could account for this, and other then the occational iritation at his tail, he seems his normal self. His sister also shows the same symptoms, but not as often. Any thoughts? They are both indoor cats and aren't exposed to other animals, other then fish and a turtle.

14+kitties
November 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
What is he looking at when he does it? Cats do that when they are concentrating very deeply on something. Birds out the window, another cat, TV, anything that gets their interest.

The licking is a grooming habit. Just double check for flea "dirt" back there. He may not have any fleas on him but if there is black flecks when you brush him it's possible there is fleas somewhere.

kathryn
November 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Haha, my cats do that too. Cat's are strange creatures. I agree, double check for flea dirt, ticks, scabs etc. Alot of times my cats will think their tails are out to get them and turn around and start chewing, licking or biting.

preacher41
November 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
This is new for my cat, he has always been friendly and sociable with my husband and I. He has also started spending a lot of time under the bed, or in dark places, giving me the impression he's not feeling all that well. I know his usual behavior when stalking something, this is different. No sign of fleas, scaling skin, nothing to account for this sudden onset of behavior. I'm calling around to find a vet, just thought someone might have come across this before. Thanks for your answers...

14+kitties
November 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ahh, ok. You didn't mention the other things that were going on.

So.... let's start at the beginning. How old are they? Have they been s/n? Have you moved recently or have there been big changes in their routine? New baby, new job, anything, even small? What are you feeding them? Are they using their litter boxes regularily? Is there any sign of blood in their urine? If this behaviour along with the others is something new for them then a vet visit is definately in order.

Love4himies
November 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Any cat who starts to hide or has an unexplained change in behaviour should be going to see a vet and have some blood work done. Cats hide their illnesses and pain very well as it protects them against predators.