Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fleas I think.

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I just found these bugs on Jag.about the lenght of a grain of rice.light brownish looking body and black head.could it be a flea or tick.all the pics i keep seeing on fleas seem to be all black.any ideas what it could be.

totallyhip
November 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
We have fleas right now :frustrated: but they definently are all black. I wonder if that is a tick?

http://www.dogsandticks.com/dog_tick_diseases/index.html#chart

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure it does suck.hope you get rid off the pesky things.When i touch his side that side would tense up and you couldn't see them because of there color till he was wet and they stood out.

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
With the ticks that they are showing in the link.the only one would be deer ticks.

totallyhip
November 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Poor baby! I would say a vet check is in order :sad:

The only reason we noticed the fleas was because the dogs seem to be chasing their butts ALOT more than normal. I did see 1 on Luke's hind quarter. So we gave them flea bath and then a few jumped off in the bath tub and gave them some Lemon skin tonic. We also added Brewers Yeast and garlic to their food. And now we have been vacumming and washing all the linens almost 2 to 3 times a week. I found one on Leia last night so it looks like we need to rebath and keep up with the rest of the regime. :wall:

At least now they aren't itching and chasing their bums. I think the fleas have stopped biting the dogs but just have to get rid of them!!!! :eek:

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Jag has been after his butt lately and scratching.so i changed his food as he has only been around 3 other dogs and 2 of them jag and my bro's dog are the only 2 they around.the other dog is around other dogs all the time and was checked lately and the owner didn't see anything.i called her to let her know.

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'm going to try and catch one and get a better look at the color.i hope it's fleas as i have Advantage Multi 100.

rainbow
November 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sounds like fleas to me...

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fleB.html

Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

totallyhip
November 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Actually the link that rainbow sent the fleas are the color you described. I guess fleas come in different colors and shapes depending on where they are. :yuck:

We have had dogs for many years and never had a flea problem till now :rolleyes:

Good Luck!

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks rainbow thats what they look like.
First time i have had to deal with fleas since i was a kid.

Love4himies
November 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
The deer ticks I pull of Jasper and Puddles have round bodies and don't hop like a flea. They are much slower moving the cats don't seem to notice when they attach themselves to the cats.

Frenchy
November 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I think the fleas have stopped biting the dogs but just have to get rid of them!!!! :eek:

You should try Advantage next time. It get rid of the fleas on your dogs and in the house so you don't have to vacuum like crazy. If you want to try it now , ask a vet first since they already had a flea shampoo treatment.

totallyhip
November 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I might try the Advantage or the Frontline. I am a big believer in natural remedies and thought I would do this first. If it doesn't work then I will have to go the other route.

angeldogs
November 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
It's fleas.caught one live and it's the brown with black head.the same as what rainbow showed in the link.Jag got his advantage so hopefully it will kill the little buggers.