Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Litter Question

CaptainOlimar
November 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I have 3 adults and six 9 week old kittens right now and five litter boxes. I was using Max multi cat clumping litter but even though it's supposed to be fairly dust free it is still dusty. The babies always smelled like dust and poop so I switched to pine pellets.

I'm curious about other types of litter, though. I don't mind the pine, I like the smell of it and the cats seem to like it too but I'm always interested in what other people use and like.

sugarcatmom
November 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I use a combo of pine pellets and Yesterday's News recycled newspaper pellets (I find the newspaper pellets are a bit softer on kitty-paws, but the pine is slightly better at odor control). One thing I make sure to do is completely scoop out all soiled litter a couple times a day. It irks me that the manufacturers of pine pellets say you can just stir the urine soaked sawdust back into the litter. That means the cats will inevitably end up walking in their own pee at some point. Not hygienic!

Good idea to stay away from clay litters. They aren't very environmentally friendly (it's acquired from strip-mining and doesn't biodegrade in landfills), and as you've noticed, not dust-free, which is bad for little kitty lungs (and people lungs).

Other litters to steer clear of are silica based ones. Plant based ones are the way to go, whether it's corn, wheat, pine, newspaper or even some of the newer ones like pea-pod or green tea.

CaptainOlimar
November 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info, Sugarcatmom! I didn't know clays were so bad for the environment.

I'm smiling right now because I clean litter boxes five time a day! I'm picky, one poop and it gets scooped especially because a couple adults have tummy trouble.

They do seem to prefer the clay because like you say, it is softer on their paws I think but it's so not good for any of us with all that dust.

I will look into the recycled paper, it would be nice to find something that is completely flushable, is that possible?

14+kitties
November 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
If you make the switch to another litter just make sure you do it gradually. Mixing the new and the clay half and half for a while and gradually going more and more the new one. The kitties may accept the change a little better that way. I have had a few kittens and moms in the house at one time and found if you try doing a quick change they won't use the litter box. Fortunately I have always left one box just clay so I always had one they would use. At the moment I only have six in and three boxes. But I scoop every time I know it's been used.

This is a thread from a while back where litter was discussed in detail.... Hopefully it can give you some info you are looking for.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51119&highlight=kitty+litter

CaptainOlimar
November 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thank you 14+kitties! I searched the forum but seemed to only get posts talking about litters of critters. :laughing:

I'm going to read that thread asap.

growler~GateKeeper
November 10th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I use the Feline Fresh pine pellets, they also have Feline Fresh Scoopable (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/felineSc.htm) which is clumping pine sawdust, softer on the paws - my mum uses that for her cat & it's just as great as the pellets. I prefer the pellets for the total non-tracking factor, when I was using clay I would find it in my carpet from one end of the apartment to the other :rolleyes:

Feline Fresh has a rebate program :D details on their site - buy 6 bags get 1 free :thumbs up

it would be nice to find something that is completely flushable, is that possible?

The pine litters are completely flushable (as long as you don't dump a whole box it will clog up your sewage drain w/too much stuff) but then you are looking at harming marine life where the end of the "treated sewage water" is dumped. Marine mammals are being affected by Toxoplasmosis whether you live in an area close to the sea or not. http://cats.about.com/cs/parasiticdisease/a/seaotters.htm

Tundra_Queen
November 10th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Ok, I have to ask. If the litter isn't clumpable..how do u scoop it? Does it just soak into the non clumpable litter?

I have always used clumping litter so that is why I'm asking this question which might seem silly. I didn't know it wasn't good for the enviroment.

I have read people mention about this pine litter on this forum and if it keeps down the odor I would like to try it, if Walmart sells it. Is it as easy to scoop as the clumpable kind? I use the Purina Scoop kind as it clumps well.

Debbie

kathryn
November 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I use the Feline Fresh pine pellets, they also have Feline Fresh Scoopable (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/felineSc.htm) which is clumping pine sawdust, softer on the paws - my mum uses that for her cat & it's just as great as the pellets. I prefer the pellets for the total non-tracking factor, when I was using clay I would find it in my carpet from one end of the apartment to the other :rolleyes:

Feline Fresh has a rebate program :D details on their site - buy 6 bags get 1 free :thumbs up

That one might be worth me trying. But, I refuse to pay a fortune for a bag of dirt for my cats to poop in:o

I just use clay litter for now. 2 boxes for 9-10 cats. Scooped 2 times a day (unless someone makes a mess, then we clean that up right away).... My kitties don't have any issues. The share the boxes and it's fine. They don't poop much though thankfully. I think it's cause I feed them the good stuff. Each cat only makes 1 little poop a day usually.

sugarcatmom
November 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Ok, I have to ask. If the litter isn't clumpable..how do u scoop it? Does it just soak into the non clumpable litter?

Using a non-slotted scoop, like a little garden trowel. With the pellets, it's easy to tell where the pee balls are because the pellets kind of explode when wet. They lose their pellet shape and turn into sawdust, so I just scoop out all of the stuff that's no longer in pellet form. I honestly don't find it any more difficult than scooping clumps, but maybe if you have lots of cats and some of them are vigorous diggers, it might be more of a pain. You'd have to really keep on top of it.

Tundra_Queen
November 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Using a non-slotted scoop, like a little garden trowel. With the pellets, it's easy to tell where the pee balls are because the pellets kind of explode when wet. They lose their pellet shape and turn into sawdust, so I just scoop out all of the stuff that's no longer in pellet form. I honestly don't find it any more difficult than scooping clumps, but maybe if you have lots of cats and some of them are vigorous diggers, it might be more of a pain. You'd have to really keep on top of it.

Thank you. :)

Debbie

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I use Swheat Scoop. It's made from wheat and it's natural, so it is not harmful to them. They have two kinds, a regular and a multi-cat.

The odor control is pretty good too.

kanis
November 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I also use the Feline Pine pellets. With my previous cat, we used clay clumping litter. Not healthy. These little guys have always used pellets so they're used to them. I like it though with the two kittens, we got through a big bag quickly.

CaptainOlimar
November 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM

This is what I do too. I scrape the unused pellets to one side, scoop out the sawdust then scoop the pellets back and do the other side. And it smells nice an pine-y.

CaptainOlimar
November 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I use Swheat Scoop. It's made from wheat and it's natural, so it is not harmful to them. They have two kinds, a regular and a multi-cat.

The odor control is pretty good too.

I'll have to give this a try! The same place I get the cat food has it.

growler~GateKeeper
November 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I have read people mention about this pine litter on this forum and if it keeps down the odor I would like to try it, if Walmart sells it. Is it as easy to scoop as the clumpable kind?

As I mentioned above there is a scoopable version of the Feline Fresh.

That one might be worth me trying. But, I refuse to pay a fortune for a bag of dirt for my cats to poop in:o

Here in BC Canada I pay $9.99 before tax for a 20lb bag of pellets which lasts 1 month for one cat. Lasts longer & is cheaper than clay litter, plus they have the aforementioned rebate :D.

growler~GateKeeper
November 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'll have to give this a try! The same place I get the cat food has it.

I did try the Swheat scoop before the pine, I didn't like the smell when wet & my cat tried to eat the litter because it is made with "food material" wheat this is not uncommon for cats to do. My grrl also refused to go in it & had to be coaxed to even step in it.

CaptainOlimar
November 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I did try the Swheat scoop before the pine, I didn't like the smell when wet & my cat tried to eat the litter because it is made with "food material" wheat this is not uncommon for cats to do. My grrl also refused to go in it & had to be coaxed to even step in it.

That's good to know, growler, thank you.

We have a pellet factory in town here I pay $5.50 for 40lbs - maybe that's why it's cheaper, it's Pinnacle Pellets. We used to use it for our pot bellied pigs as well but they aren't as sure footed as cats and would slip around on it a bit, now they just go on the plywood floor in their house with holes drilled in it for the urine to pour through. Cat poop is nothing compared to a pig. :)

Doesn't mean I won't try the Swheat scoop, I'm a sucker for new things, I'll try it at least. I would hate to have our cats eat it though! Mama and Pebbles are bottomless pits when it comes to food so I would worry about that. And, I don't like the idea of using food for litter. Like corn for ethanol, the price of grains are up because of this shift in fuel production.

I won't be flushing any of it after reading the kitty litter thread. We have a lagoon (built 13 years ago when we were allowed to have a lagoon) so it doesn't go into the local waterways but there are frogs and other critters who live in the water.

growler~GateKeeper
November 12th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Not all cats will attempt to eat the Swheat scoop but if yours do a) it won't hurt them and b) the company has a 100% satisfaction money back guarentee :thumbs up

Good to hear you won't be flushing :highfive:

TeriM
November 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
My cats didn't eat the Swheat stuff but I couldn't keep Lucy (dog) away from it :frustrated:. I use the scoopable Feline Fresh and I love it :thumbs up.

kashtin's kin
November 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The on-going/perpetual?! :rolleyes: debate re: kitty litter is very similar to the one horse people have about bedding stalls; there's everything from shavings to sawdust to peat moss to straw to peanut hulls to hemp to shredded newspaper to pine pellets ETC. (Note: not all materials are available in all places!)

I used a litter mixture of plain and scoopable clay for years, but grew tired of the DUST (just as with peat moss, looking/feeling like a coal miner :frustrated: after cleaning stalls got old pretty fast!), and the negative environmental impact. Growler spoke highly of Feline Fresh-I'm pretty sure she's not a FF major stockholder!!-so I gradually switched.

Our 7 catbosses :cat: all made the change no problem; it does track a bit (I use the scoopable), but the only real challenge I have is confusing it with graham cracker crumbs..."Gee, these Nanaimo bars :yuck: taste, um, not sweet??" Yeah, yeah, I guess I should separate household items more rigorously, and systematically (that would prob'ly help with the 'tooth brushing with skin cream' dilemma, as well).

CaptainOlimar
November 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
The on-going/perpetual?! :rolleyes: debate re: kitty litter is very similar to the one horse people have about bedding stalls; there's everything from shavings to sawdust to peat moss to straw to peanut hulls to hemp to shredded newspaper to pine pellets ETC. (Note: not all materials are available in all places!)

I used a litter mixture of plain and scoopable clay for years, but grew tired of the DUST (just as with peat moss, looking/feeling like a coal miner :frustrated: after cleaning stalls got old pretty fast!), and the negative environmental impact. Growler spoke highly of Feline Fresh-I'm pretty sure she's not a FF major stockholder!!-so I gradually switched.

Our 7 catbosses :cat: all made the change no problem; it does track a bit (I use the scoopable), but the only real challenge I have is confusing it with graham cracker crumbs..."Gee, these Nanaimo bars :yuck: taste, um, not sweet??" Yeah, yeah, I guess I should separate household items more rigorously, and systematically (that would prob'ly help with the 'tooth brushing with skin cream' dilemma, as well).

:laughing: You are too funny, kashtin's kin! :D

I will look for Feline Fresh. They had Swheat Scoop at our pet store today but it was $24 for a bag. A fairly large one, I didn't make note of the size. Smaller than the pellet bag though and it didn't weigh a lot. Does it last longer than pellets?

CaptainOlimar
November 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Not all cats will attempt to eat the Swheat scoop but if yours do a) it won't hurt them and b) the company has a 100% satisfaction money back guarentee :thumbs up

Good to hear you won't be flushing :highfive:

That's cool. I will try it.

growler~GateKeeper
November 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
A 20lbs bag of Feline Fresh pellets costs me $9.99+tax and for one cat who pees alot (kidney failure) it still lasts one month.

CaptainOlimar
November 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
A 20lbs bag of Feline Fresh pellets costs me $9.99+tax and for one cat who pees alot (kidney failure) it still lasts one month.

Thank you, growler. I picked up a 14lb bag for $8 at Canadian Tire. Where do you find 20lb bags?

kashtin's kin, to me it looks like corn flake crumbs!

I love it already, it clumps really well! The cats like it, too. :D

CaptainOlimar
November 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
So, the babies are using Feline Fresh exclusively now! They haven't pooped or peed in the pine pellets since I set up the one box of Feline Fresh yesterday afternoon. Looks like we have a winner here.

growler~GateKeeper
November 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you, growler. I picked up a 14lb bag for $8 at Canadian Tire. Where do you find 20lb bags?

The store I buy from is a local store here in the lower mainland BC with several locations called Tisol, they carry the 20llbs and 40lbs bags. Another store that carries the 20lbs bags is called In The Raw, they carry raw cat and dog food. PetSmart also carries the larger size bags.

CaptainOlimar
November 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Cool Growler, thank you! I think we have PetSmart in a town close - not in my town but I have to drive there to buy cat food every month or so anyway. 40lb bags would be awesome!

growler~GateKeeper
November 18th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I just checked their website which is US only listed there it says they only have the Feline Pine different brand and only in a 4lbs box. When I called one of the lower mainland stores about a month ago to see if they Feline Fresh the guy told me they did and in the 20lbs bag, so I'd call first before making a special trip out there just to be sure that store has it.

DollyLlama
November 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I have 3 adults and six 9 week old kittens right now and five litter boxes. I was using Max multi cat clumping litter but even though it's supposed to be fairly dust free it is still dusty. The babies always smelled like dust and poop so I switched to pine pellets.

I'm curious about other types of litter, though. I don't mind the pine, I like the smell of it and the cats seem to like it too but I'm always interested in what other people use and like.

I use Feline Pine for my cat. :) Smells so much better than clay litter, IMO. :)

CaptainOlimar
November 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I've been test running Feline Fresh (Canadian Tire) clumping and Special Kitty (Wal-Mart) clumping corn litter they are about the same cost.

I like them both. The Feline Fresh smells good and clumps really well. The Special Kitty corn litters smell sort of sweet and seems to contain the poop odor better but doesn't clump as well, still pretty good though.

I will most likely use whichever is most convenient, as I go to Wal-Mart more than Can Tire. I will pick up some Swheat Scoop to try as well.

The clumping is better than just plain pine pellets, it last longer and because it clumps there is far less mess.

I also picked up the Litter Locker for $25 at Wal-Mart $7 for a refill. I'm going to see how long the refill lasts. I like it so far, I only use it for poops, the pee goes outside in a big bucket which dh takes out on the property to spread around so it doesn't go the land fill.

Fun kitty litter adventures! :D

CaptainOlimar
November 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Special Kitty clumping corn is out, it's a little bit dusty where as Feline Fresh clumping is not.

One week with the litter locker and the first refill is holding out with two 11 week old kittens and 3 adults.

CaptainOlimar
December 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM
'kay, here's my update on the kitty litter adventures. :D

I picked up a bag of Swheat Scoop yesterday and the cats seem to like it (I've never had much trouble switching litters thankfully because I've tried half a dozen in the last month!)

It doesn't clump as well as Feline Fresh nor does it smell as nice. I can buy Swheat Scoop by the 40lb bag locally though where as I can get Feline Fresh in 6lb bags.

I don't know how much good this will do anyone but often when I'm reading reviews and info I would like to what things cost.

I'm paying $7.99 per 6lb bag of Feline Fresh clumping litter at Canadian Tire. At Total Pet Swheat Scoop goes for $24.99 for a 25lb bag, $13 for a 14lb bag and $34.80 for a 40lb bag. I know it's cheaper for a 14lb bag per pound than the 25lb bag. I asked at the till and the young lady just shrugged her shoulders. :rolleyes:

So dollars per pound works out to:

Feline Fresh $1.33 per lb - would be less if I could find it in bigger bags!

Swheat Scoop 40lb bag - 87 cents/lb; 25lb bag $1/lb; 14lb bag 93 cents per lb

The Feline Fresh clumps more effectively - urine is in a nice ball unlike Swheat Scoop or the other clumping corn litter, it's in a pat which crumbles when I lift it out with the scoop, and little pee balls are still in the litter (if that makes sense). So, in the end I will use less Feline Fresh.

Anyone else obsess like this until they find just the right thing? I spent so many years using that damn clay litter, I'm determined to find the best and most cost effective for my kitty babies. :)

Thanks to everyone who gave litter advice and suggestions! :grouphug:

ancientgirl
December 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
No, you aren't the only one to obsess. :laughing:

I've been using Swheat Scoop for a little over a year and I've been happy with it, but as of late I've noticed that when I go to scoop there are patches that aren't clumped and are sludgy. I know I read a while back about this happening to someone also.

I'd like to try Feline Fresh, but I can't find it anywhere in town.

flipgirl4
December 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Well I don't know if I'm going to be of much help but I just found a huge bag of Feline Fresh but I didn't get a chance to ask the price. I bought 2 x 6 lb bags at Canadian Tire for $7.99 each and of course, found this big bag at Ryan's pet food later. They're also called Global Pet Food or Global Ryans Pet Food but I don't know if they're located in BC or not. If so, you may want to ask if they could order the big bags.

I just changed the litter so it's 2/3 feline fresh and 1/3 clay - so far, my cat has done well with it.

I would say if you can get a store to order the big bags for you, use the Feline Fresh. The Swheat is more cost-effective because you can find it in the big bags - if it's not really bothering you, then stay with the Swheat if you can't get the Feline Fresh. You can buy a sieve with fine mesh and use it as a scoop maybe?

Go to this link: http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/

You can get a mail in rebate and be part of a frequent buyer program. I looked at another link to another forum and the poster asked them about Canadians participating and the person said that Canadians can partake in the rebate and frequent buyer program: Here's the link for that forum: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/48320-planetwise-rebate-form-feline-fresh-kitty-litter-their-frequent-buyer-prog-canada/

I think I read somewhere that planetwise got the patent for Feline Fresh but I could be wrong.

I never thought I would be writing about cat litter but as my cat is now sleeping on my legs, I cannot move so what else is there to do but research cat litter?

CaptainOlimar
December 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Ancientgirl, I think you would like Feline Fresh clumping. It's is made in Arkansas, so it's closer to you than it is to me here - maybe someone can bring it in for you.

flipgirl, thank you for the reply and info!

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
I found a place where I can order it online. I'd like to give it a try, at least. I think I'll buy one bag of the clumping kind and use it on one box and see how it goes. If I see they are using it and it's working well, I'll order more. It's a few dollars more than the Swheat Scoop, plus I'd have to add the delivery charge so I want to make sure it's really good before I spend the money to order this. I'll look around town though. I have some time off during the holidays so I can try looking at a few places.

CaptainOlimar
December 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Ancientgirl, it really is *that* good. The only thing I can see someone might not like is it does track where as the pellets don't. I personally don't mind as the litter boxes have their own big area in the basement (4 boxes and one in our guest shower upstairs - the 'guests' are the kitties :) ) I do have to sweep once a day but I don't mind because it clumps extremely well and smells really nice. The kitties actually smell like pine which is cool. And, you use Swheat Scoop so you must deal with tracking already, the Feline Fresh is about the same. Good luck finding it!

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah, tracking isn't an issue. I have it now anyway and already have to swiffer vac almost daily. I don't think I'd try pellets. My gang have never been exposed to them so if I tried to convert them, there might be dissension in the ranks and I don't need that when it comes to pee and poop.

Is it really super pine smelling? I tried Feline Pine once before, which I'm guessing is similar but the pine smell was just overwhelming.

CaptainOlimar
December 2nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Is it really super pine smelling? I tried Feline Pine once before, which I'm guessing is similar but the pine smell was just overwhelming.

I found the pellets far more strong than the Feline Fresh clumping litter. What did the cats think of the pine smell? My Mama and babies are used to the smell because they were locked in a cage for a week at the SPCA with it so it that or nothing. My other two transitioned fairly well, even from clay to pellets (not very soft on the paws). They don't mind it but if the smell is so strong for us, how strong must it be for their very sensitive noses.

As long as they use it I will buy it because it does smell nice and clumps so well.

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
They didn't seem to mind so much, I don't think. I mean, they used it so maybe they liked the smell:shrug:

I'll order one bag and just use it in one box and see how it goes. If they don't like it, they can use the other boxes and I'll know then if I should go forward. May as well give it a try.

I'd love to buy the litter box with the filter I saw at Petco, but it's too expensive for me now, so this is my least expensive option.

flipgirl4
December 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
I just changed the litter to two parts Feline Fresh and 1 part clay. My cat took to it immediately. I don't notice a pine smell but that could be due to the clay. I did find it tracked a lot but it clumps well and easier to scoop I find. No dust either! It's worth saving the environment and your and your cat's lungs!

Does anyone know if I can train my dog to go potty in a cat litter box with feline fresh? haha

CaptainOlimar
December 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
That's cool, flipgirl, maybe post in a separate thread about getting your dogs to use a box

ancientgirl, did you get any Feline Fresh?

I didn't find the big bags of Feline Fresh but I did buy a big bag of Nature's Miracle clumping corn litter.

http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/catalog/prod_detail.php?id=83

It clumps extremely well! Tracks about as much as clay or Feline Fresh but oh well, I don't think I'll get away from that.

I won't buy it again though because there is one huge downside to this litter, it has an added, synthetic awful pine scent added. It works well to mask the cat odor but I just don't like synthetic or even added fresh pine scent. I don't think it's good for the cats. I paid $29 with tax for 18 lb so about $1.82/lb.

ancientgirl
December 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I haven't found the Feline Fresh. I'd have to order it and the added cost of shipping would just not make it cost effective for me. So until I can find it here and try it, I can still just keep using Swheat Scoop.

kanis
December 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I recently switched from Feline Pine to Equine Pine. Sooooo much cheaper. I was buying the big bag of Feline Pine from PetSmart for about 18$CAD. The Equine Pine is exactly the same thing but it's only 8$!! I can get it at Tisol and Bosley's.

Equine Pine (http://www.equinepine.com/)

http://www.equinepine.com/images/EQUINE.JPG

flipgirl4
December 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I found a big bag of Feline Fresh! Actually, I got it at a Ryan's pet food store but they got it by mistake! They had never ordered it before or even heard of it but it's a 17 lb bag...or 17 kg??? It's bigger than the ones at Canadian Tire anyway and it was $14.99. I convinced the owner of the store to keep ordering it so maybe you can ask around??

I was talking to a volunteer at the Humane Society and she uses chicken feed....I guess that would be similar to the Nature's Miracle Corn litter but she didn't say anything about it being pine smelling. she actually bought it from a farm.

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Man, I wish I could find big bags of Feline Fresh...heck any bags of Feline Fresh would be great because our Canadian Tire just stopped carrying it!

I was looking for big bags of FF and happened upon some big bags are dust free corn litter, it was great, really dust free and clumps well but it has this dog awful scent added, gah, just gross. I don't think the cats liked it and it made my eyes water. Spot, one of our kittens has pooped beside the litter box, in teh bathroom sink and in the tub - all after we started using this litter. I emptied it out and closed all the bathroom doors and no accidents since I got rid of hte scented. It's really too bad they have to ruin such a nice litter with an awful fake scent. Arm and Hammer makes a nice corn litter too but it's even more stinky with fake fragrance than the other.

So, I found this cedar and moss litter, smelled musty and I think the cats like it but it doesn't clump. I think I'll use sweatscoop, at least I can get it in big bags, until I can find another source of Feline Fresh.

CaptainOlimar
January 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I recently switched from Feline Pine to Equine Pine. Sooooo much cheaper. I was buying the big bag of Feline Pine from PetSmart for about 18$CAD. The Equine Pine is exactly the same thing but it's only 8$!! I can get it at Tisol and Bosley's.

Equine Pine (http://www.equinepine.com/)

http://www.equinepine.com/images/EQUINE.JPG

Cool, thanks for the rec, kanis.

ancientgirl
January 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I've tried some corn based litters before and they are horrific. One in particular called Worlds best litter. Worlds worst is more like it.

growler~GateKeeper
January 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Ah that sucks about CT not carrying it anymore :frustrated:

Well if you're coming down to the lower mainland area pm me & I let you know where to stock up :laughing:

kaylie
January 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM
there is a Catsan crystals one, it doesnt contain ANY dust at all and soaks up the urine leaving no smell etc. However i am in England and not sure if they do this in Canada so sorry if this is the case!x

CaptainOlimar
January 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Growler, your on! We come down a couple times a year and the vehicle is stuffed full of shopping but I will have to make room for FF!

kaylie, we have those crystals but I was thinking they didn't clump so I haven't tried them. Absorbs the urine? That's pretty cool, thank for the rec.

So, last night one of the kittens pooped beside the litter box. I will pick up another litter box today and get rid of the cedar/moss mix. It actually masks odor really well but I don't think they like it. I'll get a huge bag of sweatscoop, it's really good as well. Maybe try one with the crystals as well. Until I can find some FF.