Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two young cats and new to this board

Luda_Chris1
November 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi pet lovers,

Good to see so many animal lovers in one place! Good company.

I decided to join because I am about to be the proud owner of two young cats. Growing up I had many pets: dogs, cats, snakes, frogs, chickens, rabbits, can't remember all of them. But I haven't had a pet for many years.

The reason I haven't had pets is because my work had me traveling a lot. I'm retired now.

Even though I have had many pets in my youth, I don't really know much about responsible pet ownership. My earlier pets were not my responsibility. They were owned by my parents and I was free to just enjoy them.

But I want my new cats to be cared for in the best of ways. And I intend to love and care for them.

So, given that they are about to arrive in my home, I wanted to ask what things should I do to start this journey out in the best way?

The two female cats are Cassie (short for Cassandra) and Charlie (short for charcoal). Cassie is a 18 mo old short haired white and black tuxedo of an unknown breed. She is coming from the home of a private owner, has first shots but no boosters, and is not spayed. Cassie will go to the vet for shots and general health evaluation immediately. Charlie is a 15 mo old all black short hair of an unknown breed. Charlie is coming from a government rescue shelter, is up to date on shots and is spayed.

So, they do not know each other. I plan to keep them separated for a few days in rooms across the hall from each other. They will be screened off but will be able to see each other. Then, slowly, I will introduce them and bring them together. Is this the best way?

The house is two story and I will keep both of them on the second floor for a while, then let them roam both floors eventually. They will always be indoor cats.

Both are sweet and gentle, and I hope they will become friends. Also, I will have to adjust to them. I live alone and now having two young cats will pretty radically change my life. :fingerscr

I would love to hear of your advice for just starting out with two furry female felines.

Luda_Chris1 :pawprint: :pawprint:

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I'm definitely a dog-dominated person, so I'll leave the cat advice to more experienced members. :D

But I did want to say welcome aboard!!

And I'm sure someone with more cat knowledge will be along shortly!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new additions when they arrive! :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
November 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!

I am fairly new to multi cat, only since Sept and my 3 are still having troubles. 1 six yr old male, and 2 six month old brother and sister all spayed and neutered.

I kept mine apart for about week and that still wasn't enough time. I would strongly suggest that u keep them separated for much more than a couple of days.

Some people will be able to tell u better than me how to do that.

Also I would suggest u find out about which food is best for cats. I was not feeding my older cat good enough food.I was feeding him dry Purnia cat food, I thought it was good food, but found out it wasn't that great. But I checked out the CAt food forum here and found out about how cats need a high in meat diet and which foods are the best for that. So now I have to get him off his dry food he loves so much and eating the canned food which is much healthier for him.

Also there are links about which foods are toxic to cats, like onions, garlic. Lots of things on this great website to help u.

Enjoy!

Debbie :D

sugarcatmom
November 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi Luda_Chris1, and welcome to the board. Congratulations on your new furry family! You might want to check out this very thorough link on introducing cats: http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management Has lots of tips on how to do it carefully and gradually.

On the topic of food, since Tundra_Queen brought it up, you should give this link a good read: http://www.catinfo.org/ It's written by a feline vet with a very keen interest in nutrition (not all vets are as up-to-date).

Good luck! Pictures will absolutely be required.

14+kitties
November 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Welcome Luda_Chris1. Cute play on words for your name. :thumbs up
Congrats on the new addition. They will give you years and years of unconditional love I am sure.
Everything's been said. Good food, proper introductions and Bob's yer uncle! Seeing as they are not small the intros may take a while. Just be patient. It will happen.
Are you planning on getting the unspayed female spayed? :fingerscr Maybe you could do that first and then do the intros after she is healed. It will save you having to do them again after she comes back from vets later.

Love4himies
November 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hi luda_chris (he he) I agree with 14+, spaying and allowing to heal before intros may make it easier, no hormones to get in the way. :laughing:

Good luck and we really need pics when you get your babies.:D