Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Fight

oldorchard
November 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here, have read several posts and found this is a nice place to around. :thumbs up I have a problem and woder if anyone can help me.

I have a un-neutered male cat. He used to be very docile and timid. One week ago, a male stray cat came into my home through an open window. I guess he was trying to find a shelter before the freezing winter. I decided to keep him. But after one peaceful day, my cat became aggressive and tried to attack the new cat though the new cat is very friendly to him. They had a fight. I have to keep them in separate rooms.

Does anyone know how to let them get alone? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sugarcatmom
November 8th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Does anyone know how to let them get alone? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Neuter your first cat.

rainbow
November 8th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I agree. :thumbs up

And, thank you for rescuing the stray. :angel: Since you are keeping him you should get him neutered as well if he isn't already. :)

MommaKat
November 8th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I agree with getting your cats fixed. I'm not sure exactly how to go about re-introducing them. I know it needs to be done slowly, like exchanging blankets because of scent and then being able to see each other from a kennel but not interact ect but It's been years since I had to do that I'm not sure exactly how it goes now.

Also, I think it's great that you took the stray in :angel: but, you should take him to the vet to get him checked out and vaccinated before letting him near your first cat.

Good luck :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I would strongly recommend getting both males neutered. This will help cut down on the aggression issues not to mention the health benefits for both. How old are they?

As for will they ever get along. Maybe. :shrug: Having the fight will definately set things back. They should have been introduced slowly in order for them to accept each other. Now that the fight has happened it will take longer for them to get along. Just a warning...... they might never. Keeping them in separate rooms is ideally what should have been happening from the very first. Unneutered cats are going to be more territorial, which is what your first kitty was being.

Did you take the new one to the vet to be checked over before allowing contact between the two? You need to rule out any illnesses which he could pass on to your first one. Have you checked your neighbourhood to find out if anyone is looking for this kitty? It would be very sad to think someone is crying over missing him.

This is a terrific site for giving you lots of ideas on how to introduce cats properly. She admits to making lots of mistakes in the beginning. We all do. But through trial and error she now has a peaceful home. Check it out. :thumbs up

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I agree with the above posts, first stop: vet office, get the stray checked and both kitties neutered. Then a slow reintroduction after they have recovered.

Soter
November 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Reply to the cat fight...

Well, it is sensible to get your cat neutered when he becomes 6 or 7 months, because he might start straying and possibily not return...

Check this new cat, take him to the vet and check if he is neutered. If they are both tomcats, but judging by the way the new cat is behaving, it sounds as if he is trying to protect his territorry, like most tom cats. I would suggest neutering him if you are permanently going to keep him.

I don't have a resolution for them disliking each other, but I would ask your vet about it, they would probabaly give the best advice...

I hope I was a help.

Soter

oldorchard
November 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
You guys are so nice. Thanks a lot for your advices. This is really a warm welcome.

I thought the stray was a neighbour's cat when the first time he came to my home. He smelled nice and was very clean. I though he just wanted to have a litter adventure in the neighbourhood. So when he meowed at me beside the window, I opened it and let him out. But to my surprise, he came back after a couple of hours. Now he stays with us at night and goes out for play several times in the day. I saw a moving truck on the street not long before the stray showed up. I guess he was left behind by his owner.

My wife once had five cats. The two male cats are father and son. They were both neutered. But the father cat sitll attacked his son whenever he had a chance to untill he passed away. So I really doubt if the neuter thing will work. Anyway I have to give it a try. Can anyone recommed me a good vet at low cost in Montreal? I don't have one yet because my cat has been vaccined before I adopted him.

:cat:

NoahGrey
November 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
You shouldn't assume that this moving truck was the cats owners and just left him behind. I think you should call your local animal shelter and fill out a found cat report. Someone may be missing this cat.

Since you are a feeding source to the cat now, of course it will come back.

ACO22

oldorchard
November 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, I will

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
It is natural for parent cats to try to kick their "kids" out of the nest once they start maturing.

Unfortunately you can never predict if two cats will get along but there is better success when they are altered. It eliminates the hormones controlling the personality ;)

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Neutering will help with the aggression and it has many health benefits, plus it will also help with any future spraying issues.

I've got 5, and even though they all get along well, there are a couple who go at it now and then.

You should try reintroducing them again though. Introductions should be done slowly. I had my stray girl separated from the rest of my mini-pride for over 4-5 months.

TulipRoxy
November 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that Vanier College has a low cost spay neuter clinic. The number is (450) 458-0333 I believe they spay/neuter clinic is once a month. The cost for a male cat is $45 and shots including rabies are $25. I am a student there in animal health, and this is where my dog and cat where both fixed. I can assure you that the vets are excellent and your cats will be well taken care of.

Good Luck

catlover2
November 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Here's a different idea besides all the other good ones already mentioned---neutering, etc. Get another cat!----a female tortie or calico, since they tend to be bossy (a young confident adult would be ideal). Since cat colonies are generally ruled by a female, she ends up being the "boss cat" of a household, and will often act as "referee" when other cats get into a fight. This has been experience, and it was either a tortie, torbie or calico that was top cat. :cat:

chico2
November 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I have 3 neutered males and they get along fine,except a couple of skirmishes now and then,but that's normal,no real cat-fights.
Neutering these 2 should be a priority and the price quoted from the college is fantastic:thumbs up
Thank's for taking this kitty in:cat:

oldorchard
November 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that Vanier College has a low cost spay neuter clinic. The number is (450) 458-0333 I believe they spay/neuter clinic is once a month. The cost for a male cat is $45 and shots including rabies are $25. I am a student there in animal health, and this is where my dog and cat where both fixed. I can assure you that the vets are excellent and your cats will be well taken care of.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot!