Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten urinating on sofa

crazyforcats
November 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I adopted an 8-week old kitten one week ago. I went out this evening, and when I came home I discovered that he had urinated on my sofa - twice. I also have a 2-yr old dog and a 15-yr old cat, neither of which have had any issues like this before - so I am assuming it was the kitten that urinated on the sofa. The incident may have been partially my fault, since earlier today I removed the extra litter box which I had temporarily put in my upstairs bathroom, for the convenience of the new kitty. I did this removal slowly - moving the box out of the room, into the hall, by the stairs, etc, and leaving it in each spot until the kitten used it, until it was beside the regular/permanent litter box, where it still is. But did I remove it from upstairs too early? My house isn't that large, and since the incident this evening, I have seen the kitten use the "permanent" litter box downstairs. BTW - the feline/canine members of our family are all getting along quite well.

Why did this happen, and how can I deter it from happening again??

sugarcatmom
November 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Unless you happen to catch the sofa pee-er in action, I wouldn't rule out the other cat just yet. Even cats that appear to get along my have some underlying territorial issues, and urine marking is at the top of the list for communicating this sentiment. It's also a good idea to make sure neither cat has a medical issue at the root of the peeing. Have either kitty had a check-up recently? The 15 yr old especially should be going for annual blood work and urinalysis.

Is there another area of the house that you can keep a litter box? Sometimes cats prefer their own facilities, or at least the option to choose. The general rule is one box per cat, plus one extra, if possible.

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I agree with sugarcatmom. Just because they get along, doesn't mean your senior kitty is marking the couch as his/her territory.

crazyforcats
November 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Yes.... after some pondering I have come to the conclusion that it was my older kitty who peed on the couch. I have had to nearly dismantel my sofa to clean it. Ugh!!

So now, how do I prevent this behaviour from repeating itself? I have been keeping a close eye on my older kitty, and paying him extra attention. Is there anything else I should be doing?

BTW - we took the new kitten to the vet today. We have discovered that "Jack" needed a name change.... she is now "Penny" :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Make sure you cleaned the sofa with an enzymatic cleaner. Even if you still don't smell the urine, a cat's keen sense of smell will still be able to smell it, and he will think that's his pee station.