Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Poor Thunder, how quickly things can happen

Gail P
November 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Whenever I go out to do chores in the morning the dogs get kind of crazy. As soon as I open the door they go flying out to the field, running, barking, wrestling etc. Today was no different, I went out through the gate, over to the hay shed and brought out a couple of bales of hay that were already waiting in the wheelbarrow. As I came out of the shed I saw that Thunder had a few drops of blood on the bridge of his nose. I thought he must have gotten too close to the cat in the hay shed and had gotten a swipe from his claws (the dogs love to climb the hay bales to find where the kitty is sleeping). So I took the bales, opened them up and then went to take a closer look at Thunder's face and wipe the blood away. I was shocked when I raised my eyes from looking at the bridge of his nose and looked higher up. The tip of his right ear was missing! :eek: Somehow, I guess since it was his nose that first caught my eye I hadn't noticed the ear immediately. But how did it happen in the time I walked from my front door over to the hay shed? How did it happen period? :shrug: I didn't hear any yelping or other noises above the usual din of excited dogs running around, and Thunder was still running around acting normally, even with his torn ear. I can only guess that either (a) he caught it on the gate or fence when he ran into the field, (b) he caught it somewhere on the hay shed if he ducked in through the tarps on the side (some of the dogs quickly do that and are waiting inside the shed by the time I open the door, but he isn't usually one to do that and I don't recall him doing it today), or (c) one of the other dogs grabbed him as he ran by in their initial craziness when they first rushed out.

I tried to clean up his ear but it was still bleeding and I couldn't really bandage it. He didn't even seem bothered by it and I thought that even if I could have gotten a bandage on it having that weighing down his ear might make him paw or scratch at it, possibly doing it more harm. It's all dried up now of course and he still isn't acting bothered by it thankfully but the poor boy is permanently scarred. :sad: He's got 2 notches out of the ear, making it look like it has the letter W carved into his ear.

hazelrunpack
November 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Aw, poor Thunder! We get the occasional mysterious ear laceration here, too--usually its from rough play or someone disrespecting someone else :rolleyes:

Thunder's gonna look like a real toughie with those notches :D He'll get lots of extra respect from the rest of the Pack now. :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
November 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM
:sad: Poor Thunder :grouphug: I guess since there was no yelping maybe he didn't feel it too much. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Be sure to tell him it makes him no less handsome :cloud9:

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Poor Thunder, sounds like he is not in too much pain over it, though.

Gail P
November 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I think it's bothering me more than him to be honest, to think that something happened to him in about 30-60 seconds with me right there and I didn't even know it until I saw the blood. He's feeling fine, running, playing, eating and drinking etc. He's obviously not worried about it but I feel bad every time I look at him now.

14+kitties
November 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ouch! All I gotta say!! :eek:

Gail P
November 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Ouch indeed. Here's what he now looks like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF5241.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF5245.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF5240.jpg

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Holy cow! Poor guy! That's one heck of an ouchie!

But he might not have even felt it. If it happened while he was running and he got caught in the gate or something, it might have happened to fast he didn't even notice it.

Just make sure he doesn't start showing off to the ladies, you know some girls like that tough guy look.:D

Mat&Murph
November 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Holy the poor boy!!!!! That would bother me too!! Good luck

Smiley14
November 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Oh, poor Thunder! Something similar happened to my cat Billy when he was a kitten. He came home one day with notch missing from his ear. We never did know what happened to him. But he was just fine and Thunder will be too! Gives them more character I think. :) Just make sure it heals cleanly. Poor Thunder!

Frenchy
November 8th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I think it's bothering me more than him to be honest, .

It usually does , Nelly injured her tail a bit last week , and same here , don't know how it happened , was right after I got home from work :confused:

Thunder doesn't seem to mind at all , what a though guy , give him a big kiss from me :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Holy cow! :eek: Owie!! Both Thunder and Billy!!! :grouphug:

rainbow
November 9th, 2008, 12:36 AM
OOOOWIE :sad: :grouphug:

It looks like an over exuberhant play bite to me. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
November 9th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Ouchie :grouphug:

As Smiley says as long as it heals cleanly :goodvibes: