Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Cat Owner! Help with parent-less kittens

shruti
November 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Hey,
I have a problem. My kid sister took in a pregnant cat in august, i think she was a semi-domestic, cuz we've seen her around in the area at peoples' places. Well, she seemed fine, though maybe hungry, and we took her in and she delivered four beautiful kittens on sept 4th. Two males and two females. Since she wasn't really our 'pet' before then, she kept to herself and hid her li'l ones from us. It's pretty normal i suppose. We let her out regularly, and gave her food.

The first event occurred in mid-october. While we were out, a mischevious kid took one of the kittens and threw him from the fourth floor! Does this affect the other kittens? The mother had brought back the carcass the next morning from where she found it and (i think):cry: separated its head and tried to make a meal of it. We were all very shocked and disturbed.

After that happened we noticed the kittens were a little subdued and afraid so we were more affectionate towards them and spent more time with them. Everything went well after that. But, just ten days after that, a dog supposedly killed the mother while she was out at night, and we were left with three defenceless kittens. We now keep them indoors most of the time, letting them out during the day to play around. But I'm worried about their diet as I can't find any cat food locally (strange, as i can find dog food). Also, I can't take them to a vet for atleast another ten days(no check ups so far) since our car's at the garage.

Also I'd like to mention that the kittens seem pretty energetic and play around pretty well. I feed them bread, some milk, and scrambled eggs daily. Occassionally we try peanuts which they do eat.

Needless to say, I definetely need advice here! My friends mum knows about stuff somewhat and said that what we're feeding now should do fine with them for some time, but after checking out on the net for info I'm feeling pretty worried!

Please help!

Shruti

shruti
November 7th, 2008, 02:50 AM
My mum complains that they smell of dust. Since their mother died, I think they aren't used to cleaning themselves. They do a bit, but I don't see much of it happening. Should I give them a bath? How and when will they learn to clean themselves?

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I sorry to hear of your experience with the cats and thank you for trying to save the cats.

1. Cats are strictly carnivores, they need fresh meat to survive, not bread, milk and peanuts. Maybe that is why she brought back the kitten carcass to eat. Milk can cause diarrhea in cats. Is there cat food available in your area? If not, uncooked meat would be better for them.;)

2. The remaining kittens are 8 weeks old now, old enough to be grooming themselves, but remember they are kittens and not full adults so their priority is playing, eating and sleeping, not grooming. I would not bathe them unless you have proper kitten shampoo and facilities to do so. Maybe take a slightly warm, damp cloth and wipe them down. They are still at an age that their health is very delicate and can die easily.

3. Do you have a vet who can worm them and give them their shots and check for fleas?

Please do not let these kittens outside at all, they will surely come to an untimely death, they are just babies :sad:. :cat:

shruti
November 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks a ton!! I really needed that.. :thumbs up

1. Meat wont be a problem. Also, how often do they need it? Is once a day ok, along with something else at other times?

2. I'm ok with the bathing thing, read a lot about that too... the wiping down sounds good. I'll do it in case my mum gets too paranoid about it.. :)

3. I'm looking for a good vet. Transport's another problem as the car is at the garage for 2 weeks.. :sad: But i'm working on this.

**Another thing. One of me kittens just killed and ate a frog... I'm anxious as he's drooling a bit. I wiped it, and he seems fine and content, but I'm more worried about him catching infections now. Anything I can do at home till I find a vet?

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks a ton!! I really needed that.. :thumbs up

1. Meat wont be a problem. Also, how often do they need it? Is once a day ok, along with something else at other times?

2. I'm ok with the bathing thing, read a lot about that too... the wiping down sounds good. I'll do it in case my mum gets too paranoid about it.. :)

3. I'm looking for a good vet. Transport's another problem as the car is at the garage for 2 weeks.. :sad: But i'm working on this.

**Another thing. One of me kittens just killed and ate a frog... I'm anxious as he's drooling a bit. I wiped it, and he seems fine and content, but I'm more worried about him catching infections now. Anything I can do at home till I find a vet?

I hope the frog is not poisonous :eek:, can you make it puke, salt water mix or mustard powder mix:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-cats/page1.aspx

Kittens should eat as much as they want to, minimum 3-4 times per day. Adding liver or heart will give the kitties their needed taurine (necessity for eyes and heart health). Raw meat contains some, but may not be enough.

Good luck.

kathryn
November 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
While I agree raw meat is best, since you live in another country I don't think it's a good idea. The food supply is probably not as regulated as it would be in North America. I think it's best to boil or bake it to atleast kill off the possible germs.

Is there anyway you can make them a stew and just refrigerate/freeze what's left over and do it that way? Just use some meats, broth and veggies such as peas and carrots for vitamins and minerals. You do need to use organ meat as L4H said.

Do you know what the frog looked like? Try googling it's description to see if you can find out what kind of frog it was to know if it was poisonous or not.

BenMax
November 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi again Shruti - please make sure that there are no spices in any of the meat ...I love my curry but the cats will not digest well...just a little tip.

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Eggs are a great protein source so definitely continue feeding those. If you can very finely grind the eggshells and mix them into the scrambled eggs, that would add some much needed calcium to their diet.

shruti
November 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help! I've started off on those:- the raw meat and boiling, and the egg-shell in the scrambled and no spices.. :)

kathryn, the stew is a great idea- i'll try it out.

L4H, I've noted the point on the liver and heart pieces.. makes tons of sense!

And everyone concerned, my kitten seems fine after that frog-episode... he's eating well and all, and the frog's not poisonous. But I'm gonna make sure these guys dont slip out after sunset to catch more!

I'm really thankful to everyone to help me out... and just when we needed it the most! :cat:

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I suggested raw because there may not be the taurine additive and cooking any organ meat or meat itself will destroy the taurine. Cats digestive systems are much better at digesting raw meat than humans and as long as it is deemed human quality and fresh I don't see a huge problem with it :shrug: They have a very short intestinal tract, so the meat doesn't stay in for very long, and a lower ph than humans, making it a hostile environment for bacteria reproduction.

I am so glad kitty is fine after eating the frog, maybe it was a bit bitter :yuck:

shruti
November 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
lol.. :laughing:

yeah i dont see any problem with plain raw meat either...they took it well today.. :)

The little one was after another tiny frog today, so i'm guessing he enjoyed yesterday's meal! Nevertheless, I didn't let him eat it, just to be sure.. Once I've got them their shots I'll be much more at ease. Coz during the day atleast they just play in our lawn n laze around under the plants.. :cat:

If I may add, they are SO adorable.... esp when they lie in your lap and fall asleep... :angel:

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
lol.. :laughing:

yeah i dont see any problem with plain raw meat either...they took it well today.. :)

The little one was after another tiny frog today, so i'm guessing he enjoyed yesterday's meal! Nevertheless, I didn't let him eat it, just to be sure.. Once I've got them their shots I'll be much more at ease. Coz during the day atleast they just play in our lawn n laze around under the plants.. :cat:

If I may add, they are SO adorable.... esp when they lie in your lap and fall asleep... :angel:

Do you have a digital camera that you can use to post some pics of your little sweeties :D?

shruti
November 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM
yeah i do... I'll try doing that today... :):D:cat: I tried uploading an older pic actually, but its size was too big.. limit's 100 kb n it was 1 mb... any way around that?

Love4himies
November 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I think some people upload the pics to a website like picasa and link the photos to the thread.