Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trying to find a Condo/Apartment that ALLOWS DOGS!

ILoveOnyx
November 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Some of you have already helped me in my introduction thread, thank you for the help. I'm currently looking to rent a condo/apartment, it has to be available around January, and preferably has a minimum of 2 bedrooms.

The areas that I'm targetting are anywhere outside of Montreal (me and my fiancÚ can't handle the traffic)... but it just seems like nobody is willing to accept dogs, and the ones that do, only accept small dogs.

For those that don't know, I have a Pit Bull/Labrador mix, and what a shock... THEY DON'T WELCOME PITS! I have to lie like an idiot and say that he's a Lab mix, that works... until they request a photo of him. Most of their excuses are "We have to think of the safety of others in the building".

I could go on and on and on with my whining, but I don't want to bother any of you. But PLEASE... if anyone knows about any condo/apartment available in Deux-Montagnes, St-Eustaches or Boisbriand (those are the preferred areas)... let me know. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well... because of course, wherever Onyx can live, that's where we'll live.

I will certainly show my gratitude!

lavandula
November 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
iloveonyx,

i'm also a new member... and this is my first reply... :)

i just moved and all summer i was looking for an appart where they allowed dogs...

initially, after i chose all the interesting ads in the paper, i called them for a detailed phone interview... i like to do a pre-screening over the phone to save steps... and gas $$$...

only after they answered to all of my questions... and listened to what i'm really looking for: a good place, clean, well kept, big enough, no carpets, storage room, yard, etc... which showed how good a tenant i am: :rolleyes: clean, responsible, etc... i asked the ultimate question: is a very well behaved dog, well groomed and neutred, welcome in your house? many will say yes after asking a few questions... very few will say no... some will say bring him with you, we'll see...

i discovered that the way i lead my phone investigation will make all the difference... :highfive: i am a good tenant and a responsible dog owner and this has to be reflected in my self-confidence over the phone...

at one point i had a flat-coat retriever, then an american cocker spaniel, then another one... now i have an english springer spaniel...

onyx looks so adorable! :angel2:

i hope these few lines helped... and good luck with your search :) :fingerscr

lavandula :crazy: and kanuk :pawprint:

CClover
November 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Try craiglist you might be suprise ! Good luck!:thumbs up

CClover
November 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I know you said outside Montreal but .....

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/905889580.html

ILoveOnyx
November 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
iloveonyx,

i'm also a new member... and this is my first reply... :)

i just moved and all summer i was looking for an appart where they allowed dogs...

initially, after i chose all the interesting ads in the paper, i called them for a detailed phone interview... i like to do a pre-screening over the phone to save steps... and gas $$$...

only after they answered to all of my questions... and listened to what i'm really looking for: a good place, clean, well kept, big enough, no carpets, storage room, yard, etc... which showed how good a tenant i am: :rolleyes: clean, responsible, etc... i asked the ultimate question: is a very well behaved dog, well groomed and neutred, welcome in your house? many will say yes after asking a few questions... very few will say no... some will say bring him with you, we'll see...

i discovered that the way i lead my phone investigation will make all the difference... :highfive: i am a good tenant and a responsible dog owner and this has to be reflected in my self-confidence over the phone...

at one point i had a flat-coat retriever, then an american cocker spaniel, then another one... now i have an english springer spaniel...

onyx looks so adorable! :angel2:

i hope these few lines helped... and good luck with your search :) :fingerscr

lavandula :crazy: and kanuk :pawprint:

Hmm.. thanks for the advice! I might just try that. But you see, one of the main reasons why that didn't click to me was because I am moving out of my parents house for the first time (I'm 20), so therefore, questioning in details didn't come across me as an idea.

I'll try it! Thanks again!

ILoveOnyx
November 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I know you said outside Montreal but .....

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/apa/905889580.html

Thanks! I'll call them and check it out.

And as for the place being outside of Montreal... we can't always have what we want right? At this point, it's "beggers can't be choosers", I feel like I'm asking a lot to these property owners by allowing me to bring him :sad:

BenMax
November 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
East End of Montreal are a little more pet friendly and appartments are not ridiculously expensive.

Good luck finding a place. I know it is very difficult. I remember trying to find a place that would accept my rottie and I could not get in because of his breed. That is when I decided to buy but sadly my rottie died before we were able to share more time together.

ILoveOnyx
November 7th, 2008, 09:07 AM
East End of Montreal are a little more pet friendly and appartments are not ridiculously expensive.

Good luck finding a place. I know it is very difficult. I remember trying to find a place that would accept my rottie and I could not get in because of his breed. That is when I decided to buy but sadly my rottie died before we were able to share more time together.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that...

I'm looking at the places available at the East End right now actually.

BenMax
November 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that...

I'm looking at the places available at the East End right now actually.

I think you will find success there. Anyways I wish you luck. I know you will find a place soon - especially off-season. Please ensure that you read the lease and make sure that it says animals are allowed. If the lease does not say this, ask them to add and sign that it is ok that you have pets.

lavandula
November 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
If the lease does not say this, ask them to add and sign that it is ok that you have pets.

iloveonyx,
i would even ask them to specify that they allow your "pit x lab dog" just in case that, later on, they want to fiddle around and kick you out because they had complaints because of your dog breed... :dog:

would you consider an appart within a private house, if it does exist within the area you're looking for (either semi-basement or 2nd floor)? that's what i have... and i have access to the backyard :)

good evening and good luck with your first experience out of the family nest :goodvibes:

ILoveOnyx
November 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
would you consider an appart within a private house, if it does exist within the area you're looking for (either semi-basement or 2nd floor)? that's what i have... and i have access to the backyard :)

Ummmm... I've never really considered it, but I saw a couple of those in Blainville and Boisbriand. I would love to have access to a backyard, it would be great. But the fact remains, if I'm living under somebody else's actual house, then why would I want to move out of my parents' house?... You sort of get what I mean right?

But how is it like living in one within a private house?