Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

11 years and still struggling- no end in sight

Lizena
November 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Our pitbull-lab mix named Dexter is a loving and playful 11 year old. However, he has been tremendously troublesome with his demolition when left alone. He also requires a rigurous medication routine for his anxiety and lupus. Now he's attacking our 12 year old cocker spaniel who is deaf and blind every time he accidentally walks into him. We had to give up our big house where he could roam without trouble and he is going to tear our little apartment apart. We don't want to keep him in a kettle always. He will go nuts! Dexter needs a more suitable home. Any ideas out there?

growler~GateKeeper
November 7th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Is there a reliable doggie daycare or dog walking company near by that can you can take Dexter to while you are away during the day? This will provide exercise, distraction to help ease the separation anxiety while at work.

TeriM
November 7th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I agree with Growler and would look at getting him some more exercise. When he is left at home perhaps you can also look into an exercise pen instead of a kennel (crate) to give him a bit more freedom but still keep him safe and contained.

rainbow
November 7th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I'm confused....how much time do you spend with Dexter and your cocker spaniel every day? :confused:

Are you able to take them for walks every day? :)

badger
November 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Dexter needs a more suitable home. Any ideas out there?

It will be very hard, if not impossible, to rehome an 11-year old dog, even less so one with behavioural and medical issues. I agree that you need to ramp up his exercise, a tired dog is a happier dog. What kind of medication do you have him on? I am assuming that in those 11 years - or however long you have had him - you have tried all other means short of tranquilizing him.

BenMax
November 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I can tell you that finding a home for an 11 year old dog is not going to be easy. I agree with everyone here that there are alternatives. This dog has given you love all these years, and during these years of old age really needs you now to love and cherish him/her until the end.

I really don't have anything else to say other than please find an alternative.

ILoveOnyx
November 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I don't think that rehoming him at his age would be the best solution. Why would you give up all those years of loving and caring, just to give him away when he's 11 years old? If you have been able to put up with the medical issues and every other bump you went through with him before, why give up now?

I really hope you find an alternative, whether it may be exercise pens or dog walkers. But please, don't give up on him and dump him to the hands of a stranger.

BenMax
November 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't think that rehoming him at his age would be the best solution. Why would you give up all those years of loving and caring, just to give him away when he's 11 years old? If you have been able to put up with the medical issues and every other bump you went through with him before, why give up now?

I really hope you find an alternative, whether it may be exercise pens or dog walkers. But please, don't give up on him and dump him to the hands of a stranger.

I so agree. In life, where there is a will, there is a way. I pray for this dog, I really do.