Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

K-W Humane Society

NoahGrey
November 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a question for you's. My friend has a interview with the k-W Humane Society. She is very picky where she works. For her to work for a shelter, they have to not euth for cage space, which means not euthing healthy sound animals.

Anyone know if K-W does this? Anyone know their euth rate? Or anything your else that you can tell me about K-W? If you don't want to post it here, you can PM me.

Thanks guys.

aslan
November 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM
hey ACO22, Onster lives in K-W, i'm thinking she said it's a kill shelter, but don't know for sure, she has a thread going ummmm something or other Kitteh, i'll look for it.

aslan
November 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM
i've pm'd onster to get her to come here when she logs on. in her thread she said the HS is overflowing with kitties and is not no kill.

NoahGrey
November 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks. Is it possible to post the link of that thread on here? I have been to K-W twice. Roughly a week or 2 apart. I noticed that the second time I was there, alot of the same cats were not there. I don't know if they put them down after a week or so if not adopted, or are they sent to Petsmart and petcetra?

I really would love to know their euth rate.

ACO22

aslan
November 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57828&highlight=onster

her comment is in the third post.

Love4himies
November 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Angeldogs is from the kitchener area, I will PM him with a link to this thread.

NoahGrey
November 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys,

ACO22

aslan
November 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM
:sad:ACO22 this is right from kw's policies and procedures list.

Euthanasia
The Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society supports the practice of euthanasia for animals to terminate severe, or incurable, suffering and also accepts euthanasia when an animal is vicious, or is unlikely to be adopted due to age, temperament; or when shelters are overcrowded and there is no chance for early relief.

Euthanasia must be performed by trained personnel, using methods appropriate for the species and their condition.

NoahGrey
November 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM
:sad:ACO22 this is right from kw's policies and procedures list.

Euthanasia
The Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society supports the practice of euthanasia for animals to terminate severe, or incurable, suffering and also accepts euthanasia when an animal is vicious, or is unlikely to be adopted due to age, temperament; or when shelters are overcrowded and there is no chance for early relief.

Euthanasia must be performed by trained personnel, using methods appropriate for the species and their condition.

Thanks,

I have heard that they use a gas chamber? Anyone know if this is true? Also the comment about an animal being to old. Just wonder how they know that a animal will not be adopted due to age. I think they should at least give the animal a chance..if they don't already do. I mean at the shelter that I work for, has elderly animals that have been adopted.

ACO22

angeldogs
November 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I don't know about the gas chamber.but they do euthanasia.if a dog shows any aggression it's pts.i don't deal with them at all.

NoahGrey
November 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I don't know about the gas chamber.but they do euthanasia.if a dog shows any aggression it's pts.i don't deal with them at all.

While I believe in working with an aggressive animal first and see if it come's around. I think that you have to acknowledge WHY an animal is being aggressive. It is fear, etc. There are many factors as to why an animal is aggressive and it is up to us to learn why. Just leaving it in a cage or run, is not going to get an animal to come around, and quite honestly I believe is not fair to the animal. You have to be proactive and baby steps.

It may be fear, ect. But sadly, there are animals that for whatever reason are jsut too aggressive, even with rehab. And they should be put down.

You can't adopt an aggressive animal out to the public. For public safety, safety from other animals.

I am talking about if they euth healthy sound animals for cage space.

ACO22

kathryn
November 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Are gas chambers even legal in Canada? :eek: I thought that was an Only in the US type thing.

I have a question... why are all those places called SPCA or Humane Societies if they put animals down? That sort of contradicts their name. We do not call our shelters anything like that. If it's a private organization, they pick the name. If it's a county shelter, it's "such and such County Animal Shelter"

NoahGrey
November 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Are gas chambers even legal in Canada? :eek: I thought that was an Only in the US type thing.

No, I know for a fact that one does...but only cats.

I have a question... why are all those places called SPCA or Humane Societies if they put animals down? That sort of contradicts their name. We do not call our shelters anything like that. If it's a private organization, they pick the name. If it's a county shelter, it's "such and such County Animal Shelter"

I am assuming you are talking about putting healthy sound animals down? To hold a SPCA or Humane Societies behind their name, you have to afficatlated with the OSPCA. The 2 cases that I know of who does and has Humane Society behind their name and is NOT assoicated with OSPCA, is the Burlington Humane Society. And there is quite conflect amoung BHS and the OSPCA because of it. And also the Mississuaga HS.

I am happy to say that I work for one of the best HS is the province. We don't not euth for cage space and that any animal that walks through our doors, we go beyond for them. We work with TWC and the Owl foundation. We also work with rescues group.

But, sadly there are HS/SPCA that are bad, just like a city animal shelter...I like to say. There a few HS/SPCA that I will not work for.

ACO22

chico2
November 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I seem to remember I had bad feelings about the K-W Humane Society:sad:
I would not hesitate to recommend she works at the Oakville HS though,a great place,they even take wild birds.
No animal is killed because it's older..or for cage-space:cat::dog:

angeldogs
November 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
While I believe in working with an aggressive animal first and see if it come's around. I think that you have to acknowledge WHY an animal is being aggressive. It is fear, etc. There are many factors as to why an animal is aggressive and it is up to us to learn why. Just leaving it in a cage or run, is not going to get an animal to come around, and quite honestly I believe is not fair to the animal. You have to be proactive and baby steps.

It may be fear, ect. But sadly, there are animals that for whatever reason are jsut too aggressive, even with rehab. And they should be put down.

You can't adopt an aggressive animal out to the public. For public safety, safety from other animals.

I am talking about if they euth healthy sound animals for cage space.

ACO22

I know aggressive dogs can't be adopted out.but they don't find out if the aggression is fear of being in a new sitituation.that is why we get them first because the owners can't handle them and we are their last hope before being pts.

To euth a healthy sound animals for cage space is just wrong.

Did your friend gp fpr the interview yet.? I believe there was another member on here that lives here in Kitchener as well that got a job there a few months back but don't know if there still here or not.

onster
November 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Oh I just saw this, sorry!

ummm ya the KW HS is not no kill. Ive heard they will euth for cage space. Even more disturbing however, is that I think they are part of the problem, especially for cats. They do not spay/neuter before they adopt out, nor do they follow up (@ least in my case). They do have this spay neuter voucher thing where u can get money back if you do spay/neuter but I question its effectiveness. I for example did neuter bunduk but never went back to them for the voucher. So really, for all they know he's fathering all these kittens out there.

The reasoning ive heard is: what if nobody adopts the animal then they have to euth it...waste of $$.

Theres ways around it though, like neutering/spaying once someone makes a commitment.

kathryn
November 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Theres ways around it though, like neutering/spaying once someone makes a commitment.

This is a bit late, but wanted to point something out. Some shelters I know down south (Georgia mostly) will have you make the spay/neuter appt for your pet first, and they will have someone drop the animal off at the vets office and you pick them up from getting fixed that night. It works for them. Those would also be the shelters that have lower kill rates ;) but they also don't have to pay any money for it. They get the adoption fee, get someone to transport the animal and the adopter pays the vet the rest of the money.

It's not really that complicated to hire a vet to do s/n though :shrug: Shelters are run so poorly in other places from what I see.

NoahGrey
November 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I've noticed that there are a couple of posts on here that say their HS'S/SPCA's give vouchers to the adoptee. This I feel is not helping the pet overpopulation. They are giving the adoptee the option and hoping that they do the right thing.

I believe that every animal that is adopted out from a shelter should be spayed or nuetered before going to their forever home. For puppys and Kittens, as well should only be sp/nur before going to their forever home.

Also, euthing for cage space is just wrong and can't believe that any "Humane" Society would do that.

Our shelter does not. We have 450 cats and counting.

My friend was suppose to have her interview last Thursday. They called her on the Monday to set it up. By Wed, she had called to see if she could reschdule it for Tuesday. She was called into work. The lady said sure, I will call you either today or tomorrow to set it up for Tuesday. She never called. So they must have filled the position. She was happy that she didn't waster her time, going in for the interview..knowing that they would not have hired her.

ACO22

Love4himies
November 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Gananoque and District Humane Society does not euthanize for cage space, cats are placed in foster homes until a cage becomes available.