Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Missing Buster during the day

BusterBoo
November 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I have recently had a few changes in my life (which some of you already know about) and I am starting to feel guilty about how long I have to leave Buster alone. It used to be that I would leave for work around 6:05, Buster in his crate and I was at home by 3:15. That was bad enough, but now....

I am up at 4:45.....put Buster out, give him his breakfast, then off to my shower, get ready for work and out of the house by 5:30 to get the bus (hadn't taken a bus in 35 yrs!!!! serious!). So now, I don't get home until 3:55 and I am feeling like I am neglecting my Buster. HE doesn't seem to mind, I get home, he is good in his crate all day, he is happy to see me, we spend from the moment I get home until I go to bed (around 9:30) together, he gets extra treats, he gets lots of cuddling, but I still feel guilty about leaving him alone all those hours. It's dark when I leave for work, he goes into his crate while I shower and is sleeping when I leave. But I worry about him during the day. :sad: I am only spending 5 hours with him each day and in those hours I have laundry to do, dinner to make, cleaning etc etc etc. He always has his kong and we do play with his cuz and tennis balls when I get home. Some nights we even get to go for a walk, but not every night

I have heard that dogs don't really have any concept of "time", but I do..... and I feel like :censored: for leaving him.

Anyone else have this problem??

clm
November 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Most of us who work have the same problem. We leave at 6 - 6:30am and I'm first one home between 4 and 4:30. We get up at around 4 and have the dogs out for a bit and then it's back in, they get their bully sticks and we're off to work.
Is Buster locked in the crate all day? I would maybe leave the crate open and block him into the kitchen or something during the day so he can walk around a little. Leave a radio or something on and his kong and he'll be fine. They get used to the weekly routine and you'll find even if you're home sick one day during the week, he'll likely not be too active. My guys know that holidays and weekends are different and it takes them no time to get back into their normal weekly routine once the holdiay or weekend is over.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I do too but mostly for me ! I miss them more than they miss me during the day , I know they sleep most of the day (while Nelly seeks and destroys :laughing:) and I leave the radio for them.

I think of all the dogs in shelters , how alone they are in stainless steel cages , or all the dogs tied up outside 24/7 :sad: it always makes me feel better about my fuzzbutts being alone all day.

BusterBoo
November 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I know I probably feel worse than Buster does! He is crated all day because I can't trust him to be free (yes, do does know how to open kitchen cabinets) We just finished a 3 minute zoomie and he now is wanting to go to bed LOL.

He definitely has his kong with peanut butter and treats and a bone and 3 blankets and water and food in his crate, so he is quite comfy....

I think I am just having an oh-oh moment.... :sad:

Frenchy
November 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
He definitely has his kong with peanut butter and treats and a bone and 3 blankets and water and food in his crate, so he is quite comfy....

sheesh , I wouldn't mind being crated at your house all day :laughing:

jealma
November 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry your feeling guilty, and I do understand. As you know I am now working and after being home 24/7 with abby,, I too feel bad when she's alone a full day. Buster has a great mommy. I know that even thought you do have to work , and things have changed, you love and care for him wonderfully. You know he likely sleeps all day. Your a great mommy. :-)

Karin
November 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Trust him. Do a trial run an a day off. Leave his crate door open...and leave him home alone for a while.
You may be surprised. (Dog proof of course)
Remember also that most dogs do not have to go outside to pee during the night, if they can hold it that long, they can hold it during the day too. And... they do tend to sleep for the most part of the day.

Give him a day?

rainbow
November 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I don't think the extra 1 1/2 hours a day would make much difference to Buster but I do think that 10 1/2 hours a day is too long in a crate.

Is there any way you can set up an x-pen to keep him contained? :fingerscr

clm
November 6th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I know I probably feel worse than Buster does! He is crated all day because I can't trust him to be free (yes, do does know how to open kitchen cabinets) We just finished a 3 minute zoomie and he now is wanting to go to bed LOL.

I think I am just having an oh-oh moment.... :sad:

We put those saftey closers on the cupboards that people who have kids get. The dogs can't open them. :D

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I know how you feel. I get up around 5:45, feed the gang then spend the next hour or so getting ready. They'll hang out with me in the bathroom or while I'm getting ready, then I leave them at 7:20. I don't get back home until about 5:00 or 5:30.

They all meet me at the door, then I feed them and go up and shower, where they'll also come in and out of the bathroom. I spend the rest of the night watching tv, playing with them, giving them treats and just generally talking to them. I find they follow me everywhere once I'm home.

I think what some of the others said is true. They really don't understand the concept of time. Mine sleep most of the day away so chances are they start to nap once I leave, get up a few times to eat or poop, then nap again and get up around the time I get home. :shrug:

I sometimes feel so guilty about not spending enough time with them, I just stay home most of my weekends. I'm not complaining, I love being home, so I figure they've got me the entire weekend. So I stay home, and watch them sleep.:laughing:

BusterBoo
November 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Quite often on the weekend, he will just go into his "house", the door is always left open. Unfortunately, I have an open concept house, so to gate him would mean shutting off half of the house, not impossible to do but would require several gates.

Buster is quite a barker, so if I were to leave him alone even for an hour, anyone who walks by the house (man, woman, child, dog, cat, squirrel) is fair game and my non-dog-loving neighbour would definitely call the cops if Buster barked too much.

Buster will have my complete attention from Friday at 4:00 until Wednesday morning, as it is a very LONG weekend for me!:thumbs up

14+kitties
November 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM
You are doing a wonderful job with Buster. He couldn't ask for a better mom. He doesn't know how long you are gone. Only that you love him lots when you are home. :cloud9: That's all he cares about. :thumbs up

Jim Hall
November 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
lets see toys a pb kong a mice warm bed and peace and quiet umm you got another crate for me?

mollywog
November 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I can relate. I feel bad whenever I have to crate Molly for the day. we tried a trial run out of the crate for a while, but she just got into too many things and it became dangerous for her. I can understand how it can be tough to "puppy proof" a big open space.
You are doing your best for Buster and that's all he asks for. I am sure he is perfectly happy and wouldn't want to be anywhere else! :highfive: