Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ziglet is affectionate

marko
November 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
FINALLY, after 15 years - our cat Ziglet has become affectionate.

Truth be told, I've always loved l'il Ziglet and I've always been a bit disappointed at the fact that he wasn't affectionate. The most he ever did was lie on our legs while we petted him and then he purred. But snuggling with us while we slept or cradling him...never would be tolerated for more than 20-30 seconds. I mean several people in my family have adopted ferals that became affectionate soon after adoption...but not Zig...and trust me we have always been affectionate with him.

But recently in the past month or so, he cuddles with Carmy and with me and stays in a 'cuddle position' for hours whereas just 3-4 months ago it would have been for 30 seconds. And it's not like he is ill or anything...he's just finally become affectionate.... :)

Has anyone ever heard of a cat (of freakishly devoted pet lovers) taking 15 years to become affectionate?

cpietra16
November 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
WOW. 15 years. well its never too late and it sure is worth the wait....isn't it.

Enjoy:cloud9:

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Love that name - may I use it for a rescue??

I took in a feral kitten 1 year ago. He is absolutely illusive (spelling??). He did not want to have anything to do with me whatsoever, but he and my other rescue Siamese seemed to love one another. I absolutely shower him in love and kisses regardless...even when he struggles to get away from me with his swatting and spitting....until...

Last week I was on the floor with all my entourage. Riley flopped beside me and touched my hair gently. I didn't move but I could hardly hold in my excitement. He then played with my fingers and started to purrrrrrrr....I was almost in tears...he does love me.

There is nothing more rewarding than these moments. I am sure you were as moved as I was.:cat:

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Yes, it took Snowball about 12 years to become cuddly, especially with my husband. He was always my shadow, but not a lap cat. BTW, we had Snowball since he was 6 weeks old.

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Just wondering if Ziglet has high metabolism and gets too hot cuddling, maybe in his later years, it has slowed down?

marko
November 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Love that name - may I use it for a rescue??

No Way! That name is trademarked ESPECIALLY now that the little bugger has become affectionate.
(Just kidding of course :D)

marko
November 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Just wondering if Ziglet has high metabolism and gets too hot cuddling, maybe in his later years, it has slowed down?

Nah, just un-affectionate.....what a bum. 15 years. :rolleyes:

sugarcatmom
November 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Aztec (15 yrs old) was never cuddly either, hated being picked up and never sat on our laps. I had him and his brother since they were 5 weeks old (barn cat rescues), so it wasn't a socialization issue. That was just his personality - very independent. His brother, Egypt (now deceased), was the opposite. He'd sit on my lap for hours, until my thighs went numb. Loved being carried around like a baby or draping himself over my shoulders like a scarf. Perhaps Aztec just respected that Egypt's role was goofy lovable comedian, and his was to be the wise "observer". Now that Egypt is gone and with all the manhandling that Aztec gets since being diabetic, he's turned into a total love-bug. I can't sit on the couch without a furry lap warmer joining me. Reading the newspaper or folding laundry has turned into a major ordeal, but I love every minute of it!

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
No Way! That name is trademarked ESPECIALLY now that the little bugger has become affectionate.
(Just kidding of course :D)

Done! Next one that comes in is a Ziglet. Another poster has a cat named Peaches....I'm steeling that one too....and another poster has Possum...considered that one taken too....:D

clm
November 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
My 2 previous cats, Max and Toby were well into their teens before they turned into affectionate cats. I wonder if it was affection or body heat they were seeking actually. :laughing: Whatever it was, it was wonderful. Congrats on Ziglet becoming a lap cat. :D

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm having the same issue. I've had Vlad and Oksana since they were about 12-14 weeks old each and as kittens would cuddle and be lap addicts, but as the months passed they became less tolerant of sitting on laps and being picked up, especially Oksana. Oy! Now she's started sitting on my lap to be petted for maybe like 30 seconds.

Maks and Kiska the same thing. They are both very affectionate, but don't much like being picked up or held.

Now, Czarina, she's become the most affectionate of all of them. Since she's more comfortable now around the place she often sits on the couch with me and will sit with me for as long as I'm there.

They all do however regularly sleep with me, and they all have to sleep touching me in some way. Either next to my pillow with a paw on my shoulder, or laying against me.:cloud9: Last night was actually the first time they were all on my bed at the same time. I was so happy I waited over an hour to use the bathroom which I needed to use VERY badly. LOL

rainbow
November 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM
OMG.....there is still hope for my Ziggy then. :thumbs up

My Ziggy also gets called Ziggles or Ziglet (or sometimes Piglet cuz he is) and also Zigmund if mommy is mad at him. He is also a siamese x. :D

I rescued him when he was 5 weeks old and he is just over 5 years now. He has only ever snuggled up against our legs so I guess we've got 10 more years to go. :laughing:

Stacer
November 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'm glad to hear that so many cats come around to being affectionate. Our Finn will not tolerate being picked up, and she isn't a lap cat. But she loves to be petted as long as you don't try to pick her up. Weirdly though, if you're asleep she'll sneak up and curl up on your legs (So I often pretend to be asleep so she'll do it!)

Winston
November 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Aww Ziglet! what a good boy! I love the snuggles....I dont get many but I do get a few! Tabitha is madly in love with my DH so he gets all the attention...She is so funny..she wont come to see me when I get home but as soon as DH walks in she is out and about and looking for him!

Bomber is a scaredy cat but also trust mommy! So I get some snuggles from him but only for a minute or two and then he is outta there! but he has come to trust us more each and every day! :cloud9: he was so scared for the first few years you couldnt pick him up or he would howl and try to get away!

Karin
November 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
He probably finally discovered, 'hey, this is way cool!..I feel all warm and fuzzy inside and it doesn't hurt..*like when I was neutered*, I can like this.'

I need a Ziglet in my life.

marko
November 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I'm just impressed at my own patience....and the patience of others that have experienced the same thing.

I mean after the first few years I was thinking of trading him for 3 magic beans; I'm glad I didn't :D

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Marko, I was a little discouraged too. I'd read about some other members cats and what cuddlebums they are, (FAGAN!) and I just thought my cats just weren't particularly impressed with me. :shrug:

I'm happy to see that others have the same problem :D

Okay, I'm not happy but you know what I mean.

BenMax
November 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I aswell was disappointed I guess but now that I got the teeny tiny bit of approval from Riley - it meant more to me than anything. I'm still waiting for that next time...but I push my 'smushing' him regardless!

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM
BenMax I know how you feel. This morning when I was getting ready, putting my make-up on and fixing my hair, for work, Czarina was sitting on my lap the entire time. That's not such an oddity, she likes to do that in the evenings, but what I was really thrilled about was, when I got up, I picked her up in my arms and placed her on the bed. She usually tenses up big time whenever she's picked up, and this morning she was totally relaxed. That made me incredibly happy.

BenMax
November 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM
BenMax I know how you feel. This morning when I was getting ready, putting my make-up on and fixing my hair, for work, Czarina was sitting on my lap the entire time. That's not such an oddity, she likes to do that in the evenings, but what I was really thrilled about was, when I got up, I picked her up in my arms and placed her on the bed. She usually tenses up big time whenever she's picked up, and this morning she was totally relaxed. That made me incredibly happy.

It's those little moments that mean so much.:lovestruck:. I love my Riley - even though he only thinks of me as a source of food.:thumbs up. I would not give him up for the world....he was originally going for euthansia - but I could not turn away. At the same time I also took another situated under him - she as well was not going to make it to adoption....she turned out to be such a love kitten.

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Yes, those moments are wonderful. If they only knew what those little things did to make us so happy.

BenMax
November 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Yes, those moments are wonderful. If they only knew what those little things did to make us so happy.

I think they do and don't want to spoil us...;)