Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our latest cat house

clm
November 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hubby built a new 2 storey cat shelter this past weekend using some of his leftover wood. Just needs to be painted, warm blankets added and then placed. Should help keep a couple of the outdoor kitties warm and dry this winter.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
omg a kitty condo ! :cloud9: how nice of your hubby !

I think you might want to put hay instead of blankets if the house is outside , blankets keep the humidity in. As I been told.

I don't think the kitties will care if it's not painted also :D

14+kitties
November 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
How neat is that!!! Wonderful! Your hubby is a swell guy. :thumbs up
Frenchy's been doing her homework. ;) Straw is supposed to be better than blankets if they are outside. The kittys can snuggle down into the straw and they can't in blankets.
How many houses do you have now? Must be quite a few 'cause I know you are feeding quite a few strays.

clm
November 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM
The cats around here have been a little spoiled I'm afraid. They don't like straw, so blankets it is. I change them out in the current shelters once a week. I've never noticed them to be damp. They like to give the blankets a good knit before they settle down to sleep. :rolleyes:

Cindy

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Wow! That's pretty nifty!

So does each cat have a preferred apartment, or do they just take what's available each night? And do they ever snuggle together? :cloud9:

14+kitties
November 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM
It is a very funky house. I love it!!!

Frenchy
November 4th, 2008, 10:31 PM
So does each cat have a preferred apartment,

:laughing: well of course not Hazel , there's no apartment numbers on the house :laughing: it's a commune :D

clm
November 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
:laughing: The cats aren't that picky. They'll take whatever is free. I wonder if someone is going to prefer the top house over the bottom in this one. This is our first 2 storey.
None of them like each others company enough to snuggle together I'm afraid. Crystal and my big male Max will snuggle in the largest house, not his choice, she waits until he's asleep and then she sneaks in and snuggles up to him. :laughing:

Cindy

14+kitties
November 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
That sounds like what the cats do here with Keesha. Wait till she's asleep and climb in her bed. :laughing:

fzadam
November 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Are there lots of alley cats in your area, specially male cats who disturb your female cats. How you avoid the cat to have intercourse with strayed male cats. your cat house might occupied by other cats at night if it is located outside your house. Is your cat not roaming around your neighbors house to look for companions?

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2008, 12:15 AM
These aren't all clm's cats, fzadam. Most of them are strays. The object is to get as many cats spayed/neutered as possible to prevent more feral litters, and to offer food and shelter to the poor kitties that need it...especially during winter.

Tundra_Queen
November 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Wow,,,,what a kewl house! :)

Are u going to put a flap on the openings to help keep the cold wind out? And do u think stacks of newspaper would help keep the cats warm? They could also scratch it up to make it more fluffy. :)

Boy scouts are told to put newspaper in their sleeping bags to keep the heat in better.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM

Are u going to put a flap on the openings to help keep the cold wind out? And do u think stacks of newspaper would help keep the cats warm? They could also scratch it up to make it more fluffy. :)

Boy scouts are told to put newspaper in their sleeping bags to keep the heat in better.

Debbie

You'd have to be careful of what kind of ink was used on the newspaper...soy-based ink might be okay, but some inks are toxic, and with all the grooming cats do, I'd worry about them ingesting it! :shrug:

TeriM
November 5th, 2008, 01:03 AM
What a good hubby :thumbs up.

Cool house, hope it helps keeps some furries nice and cozy :goodvibes:.

Tundra_Queen
November 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM
You'd have to be careful of what kind of ink was used on the newspaper...soy-based ink might be okay, but some inks are toxic, and with all the grooming cats do, I'd worry about them ingesting it! :shrug:

Oh that's right Hazel,, I forgot about the ink. We just have veg. ink up here on our flyers and newspaper.

Debbie

clm
November 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Debbie

Actually, where the house is going to be situated, it'll be sheltered from the wind entering the front by both our house and the shrubs in the front flower bed that it's going to be sitting in. I have 2 other shelters there already and the overhang from the house and the direction they face, no snow, rain or wind ever affects them, so no flaps have ever been needed on the other houses, won't need them on these. The cats like to be able to keep an eye on what's happening around them too.
The houses will have foam cushions and warm blankets in them like the rest. If you make them small enough inside, the body warmth of the animal warms up the house and keeps it quite cozy. Cats like their creature comforts though, so they also like something soft to nest in. I remember one evening last winter, it had to be at least -15 out and I snatched big Max out of one of the houses to bring him in for the night. He wanted no part of leaving it, and he was so toasty warm when I picked him out of the house. :laughing: I brought him inside and he promptly insisted on going right back out and into his little den. :laughing:

Cindy

chico2
November 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Clm,I did not know you have what amounts to a cat-sanctuary in your back-yard,that's wonderful of you and hubby.
:grouphug:to hubby for building it,a GREAT kitty-condo:thumbs up.

clm
November 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Actually all the shelters are in the front yard. Right outside the front window between the shrubs and the house. I have a huge raised bed there. The kitties take exception to the dogs whose domain is the backyard. A little too boisterous for their liking at the moment. :laughing:
Hubby has taking a shine to the strays. He's become quite attached to them. I never suggested the new cat house, just came home from work one day and there he was building it. He's a good guy.....most of the time. :laughing:

Cindy

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
What wonderful kitty condo's, clm, your hubby did a great job :thumbs up. Hehe, men, some are such softies on the inside.

chico2
November 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Awww clm,that's so sweet,he's a good guy:lovestruck:
I was going to ask you about the puppers and the stray cats,but now I got my answer:thumbs up

Longblades
November 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Very neat. I am going to show this to my OH. He makes cat houses too but tends to get carried away with useless, ornate details.

I too have always read that straw (not hay) is better than blankets because they can burrow into the straw. However we have found that pure wool sweaters, thick ones, from thrift stores, are a very acceptable addition to the straw. And they CAN burrow into the sweaters if you leave the bottom end accessible. Wool does breathe so will not trap humidity.

A tip for anyone else who builds cat houses. My OH was lucky to find a large discarded pool cover on one of our municipality's large item pick up days. They are great for adding waterproof insulation to the roof, under the shingles.

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Holy Moly - that is one nice condo! You could go into business with this... I certainly would order one!

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
That looks very nice and quite roomy. I know mine would love something like that!

phoozles
November 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
That's awesome! :thumbs up The kitties are going to be so warm and snug this winter