Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cropping ears and tail

whodat
November 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM
i have recently adopted a beautiful young female doberman she has never had her ears or tail cropped she is 6 months old is this too late to be done and any oe have a rough estimate on the cost? :crazy:

Melinda
November 4th, 2008, 05:34 AM
to have the tail done now would be considered major surgery, amputation and will cost you close to 1,000. at least that was quoted to a woman at our vets when she brought in a litter of 8 week old dobies, she opted not to do it. Are you going to be showing the pup? Whats the reason for wanting its tail docked??

rainbow
November 4th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Welcome to pets.ca and congratulations on your new puppy. :lovestruck:

Yes, it is too late to have her tail docked and ears cropped but I bet she is adorable and we would love to see pics of her. :cloud9:

kathryn
November 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Any specific reason for wanting to do that? It is cosmetic surgery afterall.... I had 2 rotties growing up and never really understood the point of docking their tails.

I agree, it's probably too late. I was always told it was done when they were still tiny little babies.

AmericanBullMom
November 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Cropping should ONLY be done at a VERY early age... I want to say that most are done at just a few days old. They heal quicker and the Mother can take care of the puppies after the procedure.

Please dont put your new puppy through this unecessary surgery. If I'd had a choice Patrón would still have a tail... It took weeks for his tail to heal after I got him! It got infected!! And they only docked him because he was bred for hog hunting... The less apendages, the less for a crazy killer boar to rip off... Thank dog he'll never have to do that though...

whodat
November 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
id like to show pictures how do i do it...im guessing she will never get her ears or tail done since she is too old

Melinda
November 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't put her through it *S* I bet she's just gorgeous with a long tail!! I love the "natural" look, congrats on the new pup and welcome

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the board and congrats on your new pup.

To add pics, hit reply, then look below the reply window. In the Additional Options box there's a button that says Manage Attachments. If you click that it will allow you to browse to pics you have on your machine to upload. Pics have to be 100KB or smaller in size to post if you do it this way.

I love the natural look on dobermans, too! :cloud9: Can't wait to see your new addition!

NoahGrey
November 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
ears or tail cropped :

It is just cruel.

ACO22

rainbow
November 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Ummmm....the OP has already said it won't be done:

...im guessing she will never get her ears or tail done since she is too old

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I am assuming that you got the dog for her personality and not the 'look'. Since you can no longer crop the ears and tails are you still considering keeping this dog?

kandy
November 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I personally like the natural look of a dog much better than cropped ears & tails anyway.

I did read an article recently that the Canadian Kennel Club is planning on changing their rules on judging and on registration eligibility. The changes will include going back to a 'natural' form -so no more docking (yay!) and they will concentrate more on the health of the dogs. The article said that once the changes are implemented, no pup will be able to be registered unless appropriate health testing certificates are provided on both parents.

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I personally like the natural look of a dog much better than cropped ears & tails anyway.

I did read an article recently that the Canadian Kennel Club is planning on changing their rules on judging and on registration eligibility. The changes will include going back to a 'natural' form -so no more docking (yay!) and they will concentrate more on the health of the dogs. The article said that once the changes are implemented, no pup will be able to be registered unless appropriate health testing certificates are provided on both parents.

Thank DOG!

babymomma
November 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I watched a documentary on the cropping of the ears and of the docking of the tail. All i can say is why would you want to put your dog through so much discomfort and pain just because of a certain look?..Honestly, It kills me when i touch my dogs tail, thinking about what she went through to get her little stub :sad:

satchelp
November 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM

I believe you are referring to 'The Kennel Club', which is the British kennel club, which in fact has recently announced changes, based on public reaction to a recent documentary on purebred dogs in that country. The CKC has not stated this at all.

K9 Love
November 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Docking is done days after birth. My trainer does her pups at 3 days old. (She shows in conformation so it's a must)

And cropping is usually done between 10-12 weeks, I've heard some vets do it as late as 16 weeks but that's not preferred.

A lot of Dobes are natural now, they look more houndish, but it's cute.. I love Dobes.. my favourite breed! Pics?!?!

whodat
November 6th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I am assuming that you got the dog for her personality and not the 'look'. Since you can no longer crop the ears and tails are you still considering keeping this dog?

personality didnt have much to do with it..i had just put my dog of 13 years down and i needed a friend and "suki" was a stray who needed a friend too...i wouldnt consider getting rid of her ...however i do prefer the look with the ears and tail done i have had her couple weeks now she has some behaviour issues nothing really bad...she runs away and she is timmid...that isnt even the right work...she flinchis when you touch her...but im sure with time and TLC that will pass

Melinda
November 6th, 2008, 05:25 AM
oh she is just gorgeous!!!!

BenMax
November 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Whodat - your dobbie is beautiful! So glad you are keeping her as is. If she has some problems - then docking her now would add to problems. Personally I have rescued a few dobbies 'as is' and you would be surprised how many people applied for them.

:offtopic: - I had cosmetic surgery on my nose years ago. As a result I look better however I suffer from breathing issues now....I was better off 'as is' and really the new nose never really got me anywhere (other than a better profile).:) My personality still sucks!.

rainbow
November 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
personality didnt have much to do with it..i had just put my dog of 13 years down and i needed a friend and "suki" was a stray who needed a friend too...i wouldnt consider getting rid of her ...however i do prefer the look with the ears and tail done i have had her couple weeks now she has some behaviour issues nothing really bad...she runs away and she is timmid...that isnt even the right work...she flinchis when you touch her...but im sure with time and TLC that will pass

My condolences for the loss of your previous dog. :grouphug: :candle:

Suki is a gorgeous girl :lovestruck: and thank you for rescuing her. :angel: It sounds like she wasn't treated well previously and I'm sure she will quickly realize that she is now in a loving home. :cloud9:

Personally, I love the look of an au natural dobie :thumbs up and would love to see more pics of Suki growing up. If you post them in the Photo Forum here then more members will be able to enjoy them as well. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
She's a beautiful girl, whodat! :flirt: And I'm sure she'll get more and more relaxed as she gets to know you and settles in. Our Macie was also a scaredy-cat when she arrived, but now is relaxed and happy, not uncomfortable around strangers any more, and joins in and enjoys herself when the other dogs want to play rough.

Your love and patience will be Suki's great confidence builder. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
November 7th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Awww Suki is adorable like nature intended :lovestruck:

Time, love, quiet, gentleness & of course TLC will bring out her true personality :cloud9: & will make her more comfortable w/you & others

mafiaprincess
November 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM

The CKC dobe standard allows for natural ears already. Unlikely that a natural eared dog will win very often, but the option exists as it does in danes and boxers. Natural tails are less likely as there isn't anything written into most standards by the parent clubs about what a tail would look like in docked breeds.

Satchelp is correct.. that is the backlash of the BBC documentary. It will potentially change the UKC, not the clubs in north america.

Suki is a cutie.

duttypaws
November 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I believe you are referring to 'The Kennel Club', which is the British kennel club, which in fact has recently announced changes, based on public reaction to a recent documentary on purebred dogs in that country. The CKC has not stated this at all.

Yeah as far as I know ear cropping has never been allowed in the UK.
Tails are only allowed to be docked for working dogs.

mrkcdc
February 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
without there tails and ears done they look like hounds and most people dont think they are pure:sorry:

BenMax
February 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
This is an old thread but since you are commenting on the 'look' as opposed to the personality. Anyone who knows dogs will know whether or not it is a doberman. Really without registration papers nothing is a purebred. We have been conditioned through mutilating an animal as to what breed it is. In the big picture - who cares.

Bella Lou
February 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I know dogs look better with cropping their ears and tails but it just seems so mean. I have a great dane and did not crop her ears. Her pain is not worth it.

TacoGrl
February 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I like both looks :flirt:

However, with a tail, you have to clear the coffee table before she does LOL! :D