Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

There might be a fungus among us.

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm so upset. I'd noticed this bald patch at the base of Vlad's ear. I noticed about 2 or 3 months ago he had this small lengthwise bit of hair missing. 2 weeks ago I noticed he was missing a little patch of hair.

I took him to the vet a little while ago. The vet did a scraping and it's not mites, so she said she'd do a test for fungus. She took some samples of his hair and put it in a petri(sp?) dish. She said it would take 2 weeks to get a culture and that I have to keep him separated from the others.

AAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

I also need to disinfect the apartment, wash their bedding, my bedding, vacuum and clean everything just in case.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The only place I can put him is in the kitchen. So I had to put up the screen in the pass through window and the screen is again blocking the entrance.

Not only do I have to worry about him getting out while I'm at work, but now I have to be doubly careful when I open the door to make sure Czarina doesn't slip by me when I come home. I'm hoping that if I use the door knocker it will fool them and make them think someone else is at the door, Maks and Czari run up the stairs when they hear it.

I feel terrible for Vlad. He's sitting on the counter staring at me. My poor big guy is going to spend the night all alone and he's going to be in there alone all day. I'm afraid he's going to think I'm punishing him for something.:sad:

I have to call back in two weeks to get the results of the culture. In the meantime the vet gave me a topical ointment she wants me to put on him 3 times a day along with some neosporin cream which I have to buy in the morning. My bank account is totally drained.

I'm hoping that it's not a fungus and that the ointment and neosporin does the trick. The vet said it might just be something bacterial too, so I'm thinking that might be the best scenario. Keep your fingers crossed guys.

I need to get to bed. I'm tired and my brain hurts.

Frenchy
November 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
One of my cats , Dweezil :rip: , had this sometimes but it was from scratching with a sharp / broken claw .... couldn't it be just that ?

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I haven't seen him scratching at it. What did his spot look like? Was it like roundish? Vlads is a round patch. I tried to get a picture of it but if I get too close it comes out blurry.

I'm hoping I see some improvement in it soon. The vet told me to call her in 2 days to let her know what it looks like.

kathryn
November 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ack... ringworm anyone?

How would he have gotten it do you think?

Frenchy
November 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I haven't seen him scratching at it. What did his spot look like? Was it like roundish? Vlads is a round patch. I tried to get a picture of it but if I get too close it comes out blurry.

I'm hoping I see some improvement in it soon. The vet told me to call her in 2 days to let her know what it looks like.

It wasn't red , just some fur missing in the back of his ear , a bit round , just like if you would pull a bunch of your hair (ouch)

krdahmer
November 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Palomine has a bald patch on the back of his neck to the side, just appeared one day, vet figured it was a reaction to the revolution or something. The skin never looked irritated the fur just fell out, in almost a perfect circle. Never had any other issue, just that one spot, and although the fur never grew back, the skin is clear and smooth. :shrug:

Hopefully it's nothing for Vlad too! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
:fingerscr that it's just from scratching! Do you really have to disinfect everything? :yell: That's a bummer... :frustrated:

If it's been there for months and no one else is showing any signs of it, there's a good chance whatever it is, isn't very contagious! :goodvibes:

Karin
November 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Ack... ringworm anyone?

How would he have gotten it do you think?

Go back to the hippy 60's and grab a black light. Show's up very pretty.

Listerene and or a dab of bleach will kill ringworm, usually with only one application.

But you will not be told that...products sell.

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
If it's been there for months and no one else is showing any signs of it, there's a good chance whatever it is, isn't very contagious! :goodvibes:

That's what I was thinking. Surely the other kitties would be showing signs if it was contagious. :shrug: Since they're not I would be inclined to just leave things be until you find out what it is. :o

Good luck. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM
It wasn't red , just some fur missing in the back of his ear , a bit round , just like if you would pull a bunch of your hair (ouch)

Frenchy, that's just what it looks like. I was thinking that when he and Maks wrestle, Maks grabs him around the head a lot, and they always nip at each other too. I'm wondering if maybe that patch is form that.:shrug:

My friend told me her dog had a skin issue not long ago and she cleared it up with some sulfur soap.

Vlad had a terrible night. He's a very social cat, so he did not like being in the kitchen all alone.

The vet said to get him neosporine cream and I'm going to be getting some later along with some of that sulfur soap. If I see an improvement in a couple of days then I'm going to keep treating him with that and let him out.

It does make sense that if the others don't show signs of anything it may not be something contagious or fungusy.

Jim Hall
November 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
im betting it was a play wound sherbert got those all the time esp round the neack and ears from wrestling with blockhead

i would put some aloe on him and it would eventually grow back
takes a while since that area gets a lot of contact.

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Jim, thanks for your input.

The more I think on it the more I feel it's likely not anything contagious or fungy. He's in the kitchen by himself but when I get home, I'm going to wash the area, put on the medicine I got for him and let him be with the others.

The more I read this thread and everyone's entries the more I'm thinking it was during play.

Love4himies
November 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't worry too much if Vlad had this for 2 months and nobody else has caught this of yet. Doesn't sound too contagious to me.

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, when I left the vet said it was strange that if he's had it for that long and hasn't spread to any other part of his body. That's when she told me to call her in two days to let her know what it looks like.

I feel bad now though. I left him in the kitchen, so he'll spend the day in there not being able to hang with the others. But they've been so nice to him. Last night they each sat with him for a little while.:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Aw, that's sweet that they're keeping Vlad company! :cloud9: See? You have a well-knit Pride now! :cat:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hazel, it was very sweet. Even Oksana, considering their love/hate relationship, sat next to the screen for a while to keep him from being lonely.:lovestruck:

Love4himies
November 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hazel, it was very sweet. Even Oksana, considering their love/hate relationship, sat next to the screen for a while to keep him from being lonely.:lovestruck:

:cry: :grouphug: poor Vlad, sweet Oksana.

Jim Hall
November 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
getting lonely i read it as the rest of the hoard are wondering why he gets the kitchen where all the food is > :D

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Can you guys believe that I came home and found EVERYONE in the kitchen? :laughing:

They'd pushed through a small corner of the screen and were all in the kitchen. Lord knows how long they were all in there.

At this point I'm just letting him be with the others. I gave him a bath with the sulfur soap, mainly his patch area, and put on his medication. He was very good considering I haven't given him a bath in months. He just let me do what I needed. Now I'll just wash his patch area daily with the soap and keep it medicated. Keep your fingers crossed I see some improvement guys.

Oh, and i had my first experience with hairballs. Ick, someone let go of some nasties. It looked like a wad of hair with some yellowish liquid bile stuff. Is that what it looks like?

Love4himies
November 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yup, that is a hairball :laughing:, I have stepped in them in the morning when I get out of bed :yuck:.

They all missed Vlad :D He is the leader of the pack and they just couldn't be without him :p

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Oy, man was it nasty! I'd never seen it before. I'm hoping it was Oksana since she's the one who has the most issues.

Yes, I think they all see him as the leader of the pride here. Even Czari was in there!!!!!

Of course I just had to pick up somebody's little chocolate nuggets.:frustrated: WTH? It's either Kiska or Maks, those nuggets are too small to be anybody elses.

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
They had to make it known to Mom how they felt about having their leader locked up. So they left you the marks of their displeasure, then broke in to stage a sit-down strike in the kitchen on Vlad's behalf! :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, they made their displeasure known from both ends. :laughing:

I had a furry revolt on my hands. Whatever that bald patch is, I just hope it's not anything contagious because they won't stand having him separated from them.