Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice... Man abuses his dog at park

Spatx
November 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Today was like any other day at the 'unofficial' dog park. We have a group of regulars, we know all the dogs and dynamics on who gets along... The dogs were running around, having fun. I was playing with a chuck-it with Cody and Nova like always. One of the regulars is a little jack russell, with his new friend a rescued min. pin.

Everything was going fine until his jack decided to try eat some poop. The guy yelled at his dog, it left the poop and came over. This is when things went bad - and I'm disgusted at what happened next.

The jack reluctantly came over to the owner, the guy yelled at the dog some more, then he kicked it. :eek: It wasn't even a little kick - the poor pup went flying through the air like a football. :sad: It landed, and was angry. The jack went after its owners feet biting and growling. The dog was only protecting itself. The guy kicked it repeatedly, about five more times until the dog stopped trying to bite his feet. :wall: The little jack just sat there after, I'm surprised it's ribs weren't broken.

We all watched in horror. The guy was raving mad. We said nothing - he was fuming, and the last thing we needed was for him to take it out on his dog some more.

At one point the jack came over to another guy wanting to get petted. The owner said, 'don't pet him, he's under punishment.' At that point I really wanted to yell at him. His dog has no idea what happened. Only that it got abused by its owner for listening to come.

None of us could believe what we saw. No dog should ever be hit, let alone kicked multiple times. I've been feeling awful all evening since I saw this. It was completely uncalled for. I keep wondering - if he does that in public, what does he do to the dog at home?

I don't know what to do. None of us knew what to say, and we talked about it amongst ourselves once the guy left. We were all in agreement that something needs to be said, but how can you approach someone like this?

People disgust me. :sick:

IluvZeus
November 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Oh, you must find out who that guy is and call somebody on him. That's just sick and I'm fuming just having read that!

Spatx
November 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I was fuming the whole walk home... I called my mom on my cell and explained what happened to her. I need to think about what action we can take. Obviously this guy shouldn't own dogs. I'm worried about the new min. pin as well. It came to them as a rescue, but to me it seems its just in another equally as horrible spot. :sad: I :pray: that he hasn't been abusing them... but I have a bad feeling. :sick:

MARIAWINTERS
November 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
With all the crazies in this world today, I would not approach the owner. I would call 911 and see if the police will come to the scene; if not then call Animal Control. In Illinois Animal Control for the County you are in does the prosecuting if the culprit is found. Police reports are necessary for tracking. Animal Control files the complaint, prosecutes the perpetrator, and also if several complaints are filed for the same area will do their own investigation. Seems like a problem the police do not need to handle, however, if a person is breaking the law (animal abuse in this case), then it is a police matter.

the gang
November 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
well!!!!! the proud owner of 5 min pins rescued, and love jack russles, i would have gone over and beat the shi----t out of this guy!!!! i know this is not possiable, but you see this call 911, i would have the guys ba---lls, man people suck, sometimes i wounder why i do rescue, i just hope one day people will understand, brenda and the pins..

Spatx
November 3rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Oh, believe me... I wanted to beat the **** out of him.

It happened so fast, I don't know what calling 911 would do. By the time I would have even gotten my phone out, it was over. I'll look into it, as I'm not entirely sure what we could have done. I've never been in a situation like this before, I was stunned.

The fact that we see this guy daily, and never seen anything like this before just put us in shock. I can never look at him the same way again knowing what he does. I'll try get his name, but asking for more than that will seem suspicious coming from me.

I feel just sick over it :sick:

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Does your cell phone take video, Spatx, and can you do it discretely so the guy doesn't notice? Chances are he's so preoccupied with his anger that he won't be looking around :fingerscr If you can get some video, the police and/or animal control might be more willing to do something!

I worry that if he tries that with his min pin, he's for sure going to break bones! :sad:

Sorry you had to witness that :grouphug: Some people are just :censored:

happycats
November 4th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't have been able to contain myself, I would have lost it on this freak!!!
And if my DH was there he would have done the same to this freak as he did to the poor dog!!
Poor pup,
I like the video idea, take video then report him so the dogs get taken away.

Love4himies
November 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't have contained myself and would have tried to get the dog and not give it back, meanwhile I would be on the phone to the police to come. That is abuse, plain and simple.

MommaKat
November 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I almost didn't look because this stuff makes me so angry. Why have a dog if that's what your going to do to them? Can't these nut jobs do the dog community a favor and just stay the :censored: away ?!

I think that's awful but I do understand why you didn't say anything, It's 2008 you don't expect people to "punish" their pets so barbarically anymore. I like to think I would have flipped but I probably would have been in shock as well. Could you talk to Animal control to keep an eye out at the unofficial dog park? Or could you casually ask where he "rescued" the min.pin from? and then perhaps warn the shelter or rescue group?

This dude makes me sick :yuck: :sick: :eeew:

Longblades
November 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
You're in Ontario, you can call the OSPCA nearest you. It's their job to protect against animal abuse. I agree, a cell phone video would help.

But, there is something that sits a bit strangely with me. You say the pup, (was it really just a pup? Or a full grown JR?) was kicked, went flying. Then you say the dog was angry and went back to the owner and attacked his feet? Of it's own free will it went back to this owner?

I'm no expert in abused dogs, thank heavens, but is it normal for an abused dog to not only pass up the chance to escape but to actually willingly go back for more? I am not excusing the owner one little bit but that dog sounds a bit off too.

pitgrrl
November 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
If nothing else, perhaps try to find out which rescue he adopted through and notify them of what's going on. Most rescue contracts include clauses that allow them to take dogs back under certain circumstances.

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 09:51 AM
From first hand experience: You can call the police and they will do absolutely nothing. Regardless, call them anyways as they must open a file. Get the file number along with the officers name and ensure that the SPCA has them. Actually contact the SPCA as well and ask them to come to the sight - if the police and SPCA are there at the same time, then MAYBE something can be done.

I have seen this happen to MY dog many years ago. A man punched my dog in the head because he was humping his dog. No one stepped up but instead turned away. I of course said something which followed by me beating the man with my leash.....I don't recommend this however as this is an assault charge.

This guy more than likely will go home with his dog, but at the very least you would have stepped up and acted. Too many people do nothing, say nothing and then wonder what could have been done. Just pick up the phone.

happycats
November 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'm no expert in abused dogs, thank heavens, but is it normal for an abused dog to not only pass up the chance to escape but to actually willingly go back for more? I am not excusing the owner one little bit but that dog sounds a bit off too.

That's what unconditional love is :sad:

You can beat the bejesus out of a dog, and it will come back, and it will love you like nothing happened. Like some women too.

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
That's what unconditional love is :sad:

You can beat the bejesus out of a dog, and it will come back, and it will love you like nothing happened. Like some women too.

So true and pathetically sad.

Melinda
November 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
but its not always the case, Brina is such a people dog...loves everyone...but my bro in law who is here a couple times a week, when brina was 8 months old she ran like hell out from under the table, I'm sure he kicked her...he doesn't like my dogs because they are well behaved and he's gotten rid of 4 because they "can't" be trained...anyways, when he shows up, Brina hides until he leaves....she is soooo scared of him:sorry::offtopic:

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM
It's not off topic Melinda. It just proves that there are people even close to us that are abusive.

I had a BF that took his hat off and swatted my moms dog because he got close to the table. Mom took the dog and put him in her room and kicked out my BF! Ha....that was the best thing she ever did concerning him!

I am sorry that your dog reacts this way now - but better that she stays aways from that 'person'.

Spatx
November 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thankyou for all the suggestions.

The dog did not run away from the owner, he tried to fight back. It goes back to the fight or flight instincts... But thats another discussion in its own. Not all dogs react the same in situations - just like people. The jack is a few years old at least, I've seen him around town and in the park occassionally over the past 3+ years. Never did I ever once even suspect that this man would do this. This was the first time any of us saw him touch his dog, and the regulars see him daily.

The min pin. was not adopted through a rescue, he came from a situation where the pup was confined in a cage 24/7, never to see people, dogs, or even sunlight. So there is no agency involved in this case.

My phone unfortunately does not take videos or pictures - its a very basic phone. I didn't even know I had it on me at first. It was only when I was walking home digging in my pocket for some dog treats that I noticed it. I usually don't actually have it on me since its a family phone. I decided to call my mom since I was feeling upset and angry.

I don't go to the park as often as some of the other people - but I personally am very shy in real life. I have a hard enough time talking to strangers, let alone me stepping up to a 6ft + man who is raving mad. I keep to myself at the park, only talk to a couple of people. I'll talk to the one guy there that I believe knows the mans name, and I also believe he knows where he lives. He was as equally disgusted and shocked as I was, so hopefully he can get the information and one of us report him - if he hasn't already done so.

I applaud those who have the courage and strength to step up in situations like this, but it happened so fast, and I didn't know what to do. This was the first time I'd ever seen anyone abuse an animal. :sad:

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Spatx - I really feel for you. There is nothing worse than seeing abuse and having your hands tied. I totally get it.

My personality however is just different than yours. I think I either have a few screws loose or I am missing that 'danger' gene. I get myself sometimes in the middle of some big messes and indeed have eaten someones fist in the past.

In reality - not much can be legally done anyways.

Spatx
November 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Thankyou for the support BenMax. I'm probably your polar opposite when it comes to things like this. I'm over cautious, and find it extremely difficult to take any leaps in a direction that might lead to a fall. :o

This situation just reminds me how inadequate our animal protection laws are.

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Thankyou for the support BenMax. I'm probably your polar opposite when it comes to things like this. I'm over cautious, and find it extremely difficult to take any leaps in a direction that might lead to a fall. :o

This situation just reminds me how inadequate our animal protection laws are.

Far be it to me Spatx to judge anyone. My way is not always the right way -but it is how I live my life. I am impulsive and do not think of the consequences until it happens. Your way protects you the way you are comfortable and gets you through your life. The beauty of being human - we get to react either with or without thought..an animal is instinctive.

The laws for a lack of a better word S**KS. We have a long way to go but I truly believe in Karma....he will get his somehow, someway...I guarantee it!

happycats
November 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
My personality however is just different than yours. I think I either have a few screws loose or I am missing that 'danger' gene. I get myself sometimes in the middle of some big messes and indeed have eaten someones fist in the past.

In reality - not much can be legally done anyways.

Are you an Aries?!

I'm the same as you, I'm surprised I'm still alive sometimes, as I have shot my mouth off more then once, in some very bad situations! I'm just happy to haved lived to tell the tale!

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Are you an Aries?!

I'm the same as you, I'm surprised I'm still alive sometimes, as I have shot my mouth off more then once, in some very bad situations! I'm just happy to haved lived to tell the tale!

Ha - nope Libra - but not much of one so I am told.

Melinda
November 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
when it concerns a child or pet, I jump in with both feet without thinking.....

Longblades
November 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. When you said, the poor pup went flying through the air like a football. It landed, and was angry. The jack went after its owners feet biting and growling. I got the idea it landed away from the owner and had to make an effort to get back to him and then attacked the owner. In retrospect, as others have said, some women do the same thing when they go back to abusive spouses. They say children love abusive parents too. Sad, I agree.

For what it's worth, not accosting that nutcase might have been the best thing for you. We know people who are police officers and they say going to a domestic disturbance is a very dangerous situation for them. That man could have turned on you and your dog. Far better, I think, to inform the authorities. That's their job and it's why we hire them.

BenMax
November 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
For what it's worth, not accosting that nutcase might have been the best thing for you. We know people who are police officers and they say going to a domestic disturbance is a very dangerous situation for them. That man could have turned on you and your dog. Far better, I think, to inform the authorities. That's their job and it's why we hire them.

Well said and very true. I do not set a good example.

Spatx
November 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Ha - nope Libra - but not much of one so I am told.

Haha, I'm also a Libra :D

chico2
November 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM
OMG Spatx,I like BenMax would have been all over this guy,as old as I am,no way could I have watched this without doing something.:evil:
I have been told I'll get beaten up one day,but I am an older lady,I'll take the beating as long as this poor pup does not have too.
I have gotten in trouble a few times in my life for getting"involved"but that's how I am.
I don't blame you for not reacting,most people don't,but later on suffer because they did not.
Obviously you feel you need to do something,or you would not have asked for advice.
I really have no advice,because it would all be after the fact,but I would be ready for him,if it ever happened again.
My son has a little JRT,her body seems very fragile,a kick could easily break her bones,just the thought makes my heart beat faster.
Oh and by the way,I'm a Capricorn:D

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well Chico2 - I have paid the price along the way including a career due to animal issues ....would I do it again...in a heartbeat! That is my character and I cannot alter it.

Spatx - if it ever happens again, sometimes you do not even require words. You can simply stare him down with total disgust - and he will cower I am certain. This man will get his one day...he may come across a BenMax, Melinda or Chico2...and then let the fireworks begin....

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ben Max, I, like you, would not have thought of the consequences, too many people just turn their heads and look the other way, IMO. I would not be able to sleep at night if I didn't do everything in my power to help the dog. I am a Virgo.

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Well Chico2 - I have paid the price along the way including a career due to animal issues ....would I do it again...in a heartbeat! That is my character and I cannot alter it.

Spatx - if it ever happens again, sometimes you do not even require words. You can simply stare him down with total disgust - and he will cower I am certain. This man will get his one day...he may come across a BenMax, Melinda or Chico2...and then let the fireworks begin....

Oh and a Love4Himmies (heck even I wouldn't want to mess with L4H!):)

Spatx
November 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Lol, I should get you all to come to the park to 'help' :laughing: It's just not in my nature to do anything unless I've balanced all the pros/cons and consequences... guess I'm a true Libra? :rolleyes: Sometimes I wish I could just act, but I can never seem to bring myself forwards. If anything - I was a bit surprised that out of the other 7 or 8 people, no one said anything. Even the impulsive guys stayed quiet... :sad:

I was there this morning, but it was empty. I'll see if anyone is there this afternoon.

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
It's pretty much normal Spatx. When that idiot hit my dog - everyone looked away. It was only after did they gather around me and say how disgusted they were. I was not impressed with them that 'now' they decided to support me. The same thing happened to me in one of my jobs...an incident with animals and I was thrown in jail. Only after did people say they agreed with me, but none stood up and vocally supported me until all was done.

Maybe next time things will be different. I am certainly not implying however that you do anything that can get you hurt. Remember however that words are just that...no one can hurt you if you can vocalize your disapproval...but being a Libra I know that your words would be sharp and to the point..without profanity or ignorance which would promote an attack.

happycats
November 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Lol, I should get you all to come to the park to 'help' :laughing: It's just not in my nature to do anything unless I've balanced all the pros/cons and consequences... guess I'm a true Libra? :rolleyes: Sometimes I wish I could just act, but I can never seem to bring myself forwards. If anything - I was a bit surprised that out of the other 7 or 8 people, no one said anything. Even the impulsive guys stayed quiet... :sad:

I was there this morning, but it was empty. I'll see if anyone is there this afternoon.

Awww don't worry, my problem is I don't think before i speak/act, and that can get you in lots of trouble. The shock of seeing abuse just sets me off, I don't have time to even think, before my mouth gets away from me:o
I'm surprised that out of 8 people, everyone was silent:eek:
I'll send my DH over there, he once went after a blind guy who was beating the living ***** out of his guide dog, when he got closer he saw the dog had scars, and burn marks all over it:sad: DH freaked, and threw the blind guy around!! :evil:

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
HappyCats - I forgot to add you to the list of 'action figures'...sorry..oh and the DH.

I cannot believe someone would abuse their work partner that way - yep..I certainly would have done something about the eye impaired guy...he would be temporarily testie impaired as well!

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Awww don't worry, my problem is I don't think before i speak/act, and that can get you in lots of trouble. The shock of seeing abuse just sets me off, I don't have time to even think, before my mouth gets away from me:o
I'm surprised that out of 8 people, everyone was silent:eek:
I'll send my DH over there, he once went after a blind guy who was beating the living ***** out of his guide dog, when he got closer he saw the dog had scars, and burn marks all over it:sad: DH freaked, and threw the blind guy around!! :evil:

:eek::eek::eek:

Did he get to keep the dog?

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Good question L4H! If reported, I highly doubt it.

happycats
November 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
HappyCats - I forgot to add you to the list of 'action figures'...sorry..oh and the DH.

I cannot believe someone would abuse their work partner that way - yep..I certainly would have done something about the eye impaired guy...he would be temporarily testie impaired as well!

LMAO!!!! @ testie impaired!!

happycats
November 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Did he get to keep the dog?

DH tld the guy, if he wasn't blind he would take the dog, but he also told the guy "I know where you live, and where you go, and I'll be watching you, if you so much as even raise your voice to that dog, I will beat the crap out of you and take the dog"!!!
We had seen the guy many times after, and he seemed to have changed his ways, the dog even looked happier.

DH did take a GSD mix off of one guy who he saw beating it on the side of the road :evil: He smacked the guy around and said either give me the dog, or I'll beat you like I just saw you bet him!, so the guy gladly gave up the dog, His bosses relative adopted the dog :)
Why do you think I married him :lovestruck: He loves animals as much as I do!

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
DH tld the guy, if he wasn't blind he would take the dog, but he also told the guy "I know where you live, and where you go, and I'll be watching you, if you so much as even raise your voice to that dog, I will beat the crap out of you and take the dog"!!!
We had seen the guy many times after, and he seemed to have changed his ways, the dog even looked happier.

DH did take a GSD mix off of one guy who he saw beating it on the side of the road :evil: He smacked the guy around and said either give me the dog, or I'll beat you like I just saw you bet him!, so the guy gladly gave up the dog, His bosses relative adopted the dog :)

Now that is what I call pro-action. I saw a guy training his staffie. He totally didn't understand that the choke is not used to 'hang' the dog. Needless to say....well need I say?

happycats
November 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Now that is what I call pro-action. I saw a guy training his staffie. He totally didn't understand that the choke is not used to 'hang' the dog. Needless to say....well need I say?

too many stupid people in the world, and to many own animals:sad: not just pets, but so many stupid people should be spayed/neutered, they really are to stupid and mean to breed :frustrated:

Spatx
November 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It definitely sounds like a lot of people here have seen their share of idiots. I'm sure next time will be quite different, because I'm now watching for it.

I've seen the effects of neglect and abuse, but to see it in action was truly heartbreaking.

This idiot has it coming to him - sooner or later it will catch up with him.

BenMax
November 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
It definitely sounds like a lot of people here have seen their share of idiots. I'm sure next time will be quite different, because I'm now watching for it.

I've seen the effects of neglect and abuse, but to see it in action was truly heartbreaking.

This idiot has it coming to him - sooner or later it will catch up with him.

Indeed it will Spatx. One day he is going to run into someone that will teach him a lesson or two. Oh how I wish I had a crystal ball!

JM4611
November 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
As a Scorpio who is owned by a JR terrier, that "man" would not have gotten away with what he did - and
to hell with the consequences.