Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

weird cat reaction to petting . help .

shannonshuster
November 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
over the past few weeks we've noticed some strange behaviour by one of our cats ... any time we pet her on her lower back , just above her tail , she immediately begins not just licking herself but almost biting and sucking a random spot on her body , and sometimes she even turns around and swats at the hand petting her . there is no visible cut/wound in that area and when you pet her whole body fully she doesn't react this way , only when we specifically pet her in that area . should we take her to the vet or is she just sensitive or something ?

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hi - it sounds internal. If it were my cat then I would be bringing him/her to the vet to find out what the problem is. Do you feel any masses or something that does not feel right?

aslan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
just out of curiosity is your kitty spayed.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
just out of curiosity is your kitty spayed.

Good question - I didn't think to ask.

shannonshuster
November 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
my cat is spayed, she's about 13 years old and this just started about three weeks ago ... the first week she was swatting, but she's been calmer since. we haven't felt an masses, bumps, cuts or anything ... we thought she might have a dry spot, especially with the change in weather--it's been really cold lately ... but nothing really noticeable externally.

aslan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
my reason for asking is the base of the tail, and the ears are dog and kitties, ummm orogenous(sp) zone. i wondered if she was possibly in heat, guess not. i had a cat if you rubbed his bum he'd chew his front feet. Just for safety i would suggest a vet visit.

shannonshuster
November 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
thank you for your responses, i appreciate it ... i'll take her into the vet just to be sure ...

thank you .

kathryn
November 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
She could have taken a spill and injured her back, like some nerve damage or something.

Alot of cats are already very sensitive as it is when you pet down by the tail. Even just a pinched nerve or injury could easily make it 10 times as sensitive and drive her crazy.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
thank you for your responses, i appreciate it ... i'll take her into the vet just to be sure ...

thank you .

Good luck and please keep us updated.:fingerscr

Longblades
November 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
I'd just like to add a "second the motion" to all the above comments and also say.... It can be a flea bite spot and this is the tail end (pun intended) of flea season. Where I am it is anyway. Maybe she has some itchy bites there?