Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

should I be concerned?

CrazyCasey
November 3rd, 2008, 04:24 AM
I was sure where to post this, so sorry if its in the wrong place.
I looking into getting a third dog. I was hoping for a boston terrier or a pug. I've searched petfinder but most of the ones are younger, and I'm looking for an adult. I've found two(?) CKC registered breeders, although I think they may be the same person? if it IS in fact the same person then they have alot of dogs.
-the one with the pugs also breeds yorkies. I've seen pics of adult pugs/puppy pugs/puppy yorkies and all seem to be in a cage or crate. they're too far for me to travel and take at look at in person(almost 2 hour drive).
-the one with the bostons also has cage bars in all of thier pics too. The person who has the bostons has given them proper health care...spayed them/microchipped/shots.
neither of them asked me any questions about the home the dog would be going to. I've SEEN a puppymill in person and these breeders seem far from it, but my main concern is that if the dogs are always in a run they woun't be very well socialized or housetrained.
I'd post pics but I don't want to ruin a good breeder's name just in case I'm wrong, and being nervious over nothing.
am I being a worry wart or should I be concerned?

Melinda
November 3rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
where in ontario did you see these pups?

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
What about contacting a rescue to see if there is one that you would be interested in adopting?

clm
November 3rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Where did you find these breeders? Go to the CKC site or the Dogs in Canada site and look up breeders. Find out where there are dog shows happening in your area and look up breeders there.
If something in your gut tells you there is something amiss with a breeder, trust your instincts and stay away.

Cindy

kathryn
November 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Can't you look for a rescue organization instead? Is it really nessacary for people to keep getting animals from breeders? It's a dog, not a car. There are no guarantees on a certain breed or anything like that.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/btccrescue-ontario.html
http://www.pugcanada.com/rescue/available.html
http://www.pugalug.com/

Not all rescues are reputable but please try finding a dog that really needs a home instead of purchasing from some random breeder......

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi CrazyCasey - Bostons and Pugs are very high on the list of abandoned dogs. I am certain that there are rescues (and shelters) that have many that are looking for a second chance.

I placed a rescue black pug with my sister just one month ago - she and her family could not be happier. Please consider rescueing as there are so many deserving dogs that rely on us to give them a second chance .....and that second chance is an opportunity to LIVE!

Thanks.

Melinda
November 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
maybe someone could point out a rescue in her area that have the breed? She did say she tried petfinder and they only had young ones.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
maybe someone could point out a rescue in her area that have the breed? She did say she tried petfinder and they only had young ones.

I could but she could source out rescues in Ontario and contact them as to what she is looking for. If she qualifies they could contact her. Sometimes rescues have dogs/cats and do not post immediately.

clm
November 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Can't you look for a rescue organization instead? Is it really nessacary for people to keep getting animals from breeders? It's a dog, not a car. There are no guarantees on a certain breed or anything like that.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/btccrescue-ontario.html
http://www.pugcanada.com/rescue/available.html
http://www.pugalug.com/

Not all rescues are reputable but please try finding a dog that really needs a home instead of purchasing from some random breeder......

Random breeders or byb are just that. If you're going to go to a breeder, you need to take your time and do some research. There is nothing wrong with supporting a reputable breeder. Some breeds are not easy to find in rescue, mine being one of them. A lot of breeders have older dogs who don't fit into their breeding program, have been returned by a buyer, don't like the show ring, etc. They all deserve loving homes as well. Reputable breeders breed to promote and enhance the devlopement of their breed. Health and temperment are utmost in their breeding process.
All of my dogs have come from very good breeders who love their breed and the puppies they produce. Reputable breeders are also involved in rescue, so they should also be able to help you find a dog in that area if there are any available rescues.

Cindy

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Reputable breeders are also involved in rescue, so they should also be able to help you find a dog in that area if there are any available rescues.

Cindy

Good point Clm.

These breeds are easy to find in rescue - they are not rare

kathryn
November 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Random breeders or byb are just that. If you're going to go to a breeder, you need to take your time and do some research. There is nothing wrong with supporting a reputable breeder. Some breeds are not easy to find in rescue, mine being one of them. A lot of breeders have older dogs who don't fit into their breeding program, have been returned by a buyer, don't like the show ring, etc. They all deserve loving homes as well. Reputable breeders breed to promote and enhance the devlopement of their breed. Health and temperment are utmost in their breeding process.
All of my dogs have come from very good breeders who love their breed and the puppies they produce. Reputable breeders are also involved in rescue, so they should also be able to help you find a dog in that area if there are any available rescues.

Cindy

Yeah, but they way there were talking doesn't sound like a very good breeder if they are all locked in cages and things. Just doing a quick google search for boston terrier rescues in Canada or pug rescues in Canada pulls up a ton of stuff. Pugs and boston terriers are not rare breeds or anything, so why not start looking for a homeless dog instead of specifically looking for a breeder? I see pure breed dogs in shelters fairly often. They really are not better then a mix breed.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but they way there were talking doesn't sound like a very good breeder if they are all locked in cages and things. Just doing a quick google search for boston terrier rescues in Canada or pug rescues in Canada pulls up a ton of stuff. Pugs and boston terriers are not rare breeds or anything, so why not start looking for a homeless dog instead of specifically looking for a breeder? I see pure breed dogs in shelters fairly often. They really are not better then a mix breed.

Thank you Kathryn for this. I cannot emphasize enough how many purebreds are in the system. I personally would never ever go to a breeder (even reputable) knowing what I know now. I have been looking for another rott but I will certainly hold out for one that is need of rescue.

Again thanks for googling for these breeds. I cannot tell you how many we have had within rescue, and when I pull from shelters - they are there as well.

There are of course some good breeders that will try to re-home their own - which I think is great. They are few and far between however.

CrazyCasey
November 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Right now I'm currently on two waiting lists for eaither a pug or a boston for two different rescues in my area(I've actually been on the one waiting list for almost 4 months).I would much rather adopt a dog but Most of the rescues have larger breed dogs though becuase they rescue ones from the reserve near my city. I've checked petfinder and theres a rescue close to me but all their bostons and pugs are 8 weeks old. where as I would much rather skip the puppy stages and adopt a dog between the ages of 1-5years old. I've also contacted boston terrier rescue club canada to see their adoptable dogs but alot of them are younger too, or arn't suited to a home with other animals.

This is why I've check the CKC breeders to find if any of them have older dogs there looking to place. The one with the pugs has two, one is 2 years old and the other is 6 years old. the breeder is looking to place them into a home because their retired from breeding. The boston is 3 years old and isn't up to standard for the show ring. I'm concerned that if they're always in cages they woun't be socialized or trained.

I'm guessing there are more rescues that have eaither breed, but arn't listed as a rescue on petfinder. There's probably some out of my area that can bring bostons close to my city. if anyone can help me looks that would be great. I'm still looking into the breeder(s) but neither of them have contacted me and are avoiding my emails so I'm thinking of just forgetting them altogether.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Go with your heart. You will find the right one for you.