Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

amber 777 DOG FOOD

DoubleRR
November 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
#86 Today, 10:17 AM
amber777
Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

I have been looking for a new good food for my dogs and have been considering either Acana/Orijen or Taste of the Wild. Can anyone tell me if they have tried either of these and which is better for the dogs?

Hello and welcome--couldn't see a reason to use a 4 yr old thread for this topic, so moved your info to a new one.

I use Orijen for my two Ridgebacks and am very happy with it.

MommaKat
November 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
I use Orijen as well and My newf loves it. Arcana is a little cheaper and also made by the creators of Orijen (champion foods). They also have a grain free version similar to Orijen regular. No clue about "Taste of the wild" is that made by Blue?

Stacer
November 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Based on ingredient comparison, I'd say you're better off with Orijen, IMO.

Taste of the wild has tomato pomace (stool hardener) and egg product (as opposed to whole eggs. WTF is egg product?!?)

I feed Orijen to both my dog and cats. I haven't found anything that is better for the price.

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
I also feed Orijen and would definitely recommend it over Taste of the Wild.

No clue about "Taste of the wild" is that made by Blue?

Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond.

clm
November 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Based on ingredient comparison, I'd say you're better off with Orijen, IMO.

Taste of the wild has tomato pomace (stool hardener) and egg product (as opposed to whole eggs. WTF is egg product?!?)

I feed Orijen to both my dog and cats. I haven't found anything that is better for the price.

Considering they're now finding melamine in eggs in China because it's in animal feed, I'd want to know where that egg product is coming from.

Cindy

Stacer
November 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Seriously CLM??!!!

OK, so what don't they put melamine in?

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Seriously CLM??!!!

OK, so what don't they put melamine in?

My guess is anything that doesn't have protein in it. :sad: :frustrated: :wall:

amber777
November 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks DoubleRR for moving my query. I have started to switch my dogs(7 year old and 6 months old) to Acana Grasslands grainfree all lifestages but will likely switch to Orijen once my pup is one year. Thanks for the input.

amber777
November 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Here is the break down on Acana Grasslands

Acana Grasslands ingredients:

Lamb meal, sweet potato, raw de-boned lamb, peas, fresh whole eggs, sun-cured
alfalfa, sunflower oil, fresh de-boned walleye, pumpkin, fresh de-boned northern pike,
apples, carrots, turnip greens, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack, dulse),
juniper berries, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, black currants, angelica root, chicory
root, red clover, red raspberry leaf, dandelion root, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers,
chamomile flowers, rosemary extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus
faecium.
Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12,
pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese
proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).

Analysis:
Protein .....................................33 %
Fat ..........................................17 %
Fiber ...................................... 3.5 %
Calcium .................................. 1.8 %
Phosphorus ............................. 1.2 %
Omega-6................................. 2.2 %
Omega-3 ................................ 0.4 %
Glucosamine ....................800 mg/kg
Chondroitin .......................500 mg/kg
Carbohydrate ...........................28 %

Stacer
November 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
The ingredients look good.

geisha
November 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The ingredients look really good!!! I have a question about deboned meat vs. meat with bone. Is it a weight issue? Phosphorous issue or???