Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rhinotracheitis

lumpdog2
November 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Can rhinotracheitis be passed to a dog? My cat kitten has it and she shared water with the dog.

kathryn
November 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
No. Cat germs and dog germs are generally different. However, your kitty can pass it on to other kitties. Usually close contact is needed though, but it can be airborne!

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I can't find anything online that indicates that FHV is capable of cross-species infections, but of course that could just mean that I'm not looking at the right links. Your vet should be able to tell you if it's possible. Meanwhile, just to be safe, is there a way to keep your dog's water separate from the kitty?

:goodvibes: for a quick recovery for your kitten!

lumpdog2
November 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well, aside from taking the water away from the dog, no. Besides I'll never be able to keep them apart. The love playing together and the dog licks the cat and vice versa. I couldn't find any info online either, I was hoping someone could give a definite answer. Maby they have asked a vet. I know she has the rhinotracheitis from the last time I had her at the vet. I won't take her to vet again because it costs too much. She was a stray when I got her as Kitten. I'm hoping that my dog can't get it so I won't have to dispose of the cat and go get another one. There are so many kittens around where I live I can get another with no problem but I knida like this one. Shes crazy.

lumpdog2
November 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Kathryn.

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Since you've already had the kitten to the vet, they'd likely answer the question over the phone without having you come in. :thumbs up Even if they won't, the only thing it will cost you is the phone call. :D

kathryn
November 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Herpes virus' are species specific. They can't cross contaminate just like if a cat licked a cold sore on a person they wouldn't get a cold sore themselves. There are herpes virus' for dogs but it's uncommon. I've never heard of a dog with canine herpes virus.

If it helps you any, I have a chronic FHV cat and brought him into my house over a year ago. He is no longer contagious except possibly when he has a flare up. He shares everything with all my other cats (I have 6 other indoor cats) and I foster kittens. No one has ever caught it and no one else is a carrier.

lumpdog2
November 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
This helps alot. Thank you both. I would hate if i had to get rid of her. I like fishing for kitty. I got a mouse toy on a kids fishing pole. Is funny to watch.

Gail P
November 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I'm hoping that my dog can't get it so I won't have to dispose of the cat and go get another one. There are so many kittens around where I live I can get another with no problem but I knida like this one. Shes crazy.

:mad: Pets are not disposable. If you feel that they are and "dispose" of this one please do not even consider getting a replacement. A pet is a lifetime commitment, not something to be cast aside due to inconvenience or illness. During every pet's lifetime there will be times when they need vet care, incurring both cost and sometimes inconvenience. If you can not/will not deal with such, you should not be getting another animal. :frustrated:

Love4himies
November 5th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks for posting that GailP, I was quite upset at the thought of a cat being "disposed of" and not a big deal because there are so many kitties.

KarenC
November 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
You know I saw this..and I stepped back because I could not believe someone could be so daft as to post this on this site.

Do you guys have people that come here just to screw with you and your passions? Could this be one?