Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Female cat infection from scratching?

RobDoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
:shrug: My cat scratches alot and I noticed that around her neck she has some sort of scabbing, I can't see what it looks like but I can feel it only around her neck. Please tell me its treatable?

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
It sounds like allergies which are treatable and I would take her to your vet. Flea allergies are the most common or it could be food, contact or inhalant allergies.

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Even if it were something like mange, it would be treatable. But getting her into a vet before the problem gets worse is a good idea. Once you know exactly what you're dealing with, you can get her some relief through proper treatment! :thumbs up

Hazmat
November 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
One of my girls had that problem and it did turn out to be flea allergie. It can take only one flea bite to set her off.

Two things I did: I started treating all 3 cats and both dogs ( for fleas) on the same day each month. The dogs had been on a different schedule. And since she is a 100% indoor cat, I started keeping her rear nailes slightly trimmed so that she doesn't tear her neck if she does scratch.

Result: no more scabs.

RobDoza
November 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
One of my girls had that problem and it did turn out to be flea allergie. It can take only one flea bite to set her off.

Two things I did: I started treating all 3 cats and both dogs ( for fleas) on the same day each month. The dogs had been on a different schedule. And since she is a 100% indoor cat, I started keeping her rear nailes slightly trimmed so that she doesn't tear her neck if she does scratch.

Result: no more scabs.

My cat is also 100% indoor, I was wondering what type of flea treatment should I use?

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
You need to find out if that's the problem first. If you treat her for fleas and the problem is from something else, it won't do any good. :shrug:

kathryn
November 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Frontline or Advantage would be best to use. Anything but junky cheap stuff like Hartz. You really need to make sure it's not something else though...