Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wish us luck for a sucessful wean

erykah1310
November 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Well, we separated Ven from Fay finally, lets hope this goes well, Venna has been spending less and less time relying on Fay for everything and has been chilling out with her "nanny mare" a lot so we did a full out separation.
Fay is in a paddock by herself with all the hay she could ever want, and some good feed to hopefully get some weight on her for winter, and Ven and Beauty are out together in the other pasture.
The cries were pretty bad for a bit tonight from both Fay and Venna, but the fencing as of 10 minutes ago is still standing:pray: Lets just hope for the best over the next month or so:pray:

TeriM
November 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Good luck :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:.

Pics? :D

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I second the pics request :D

Good luck with the weaning. Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't you let momma wean naturally?

Lise
November 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Why not just let the mare decide when to wean?I know that's how a lot of breeders are doing it now.Seems to work really well,unless your mare is being dragged down or you want to rebreed her.

erykah1310
November 2nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
Fay is having a hard time bulking herself up good for winter Ven is a piggy. I was opting for a natural wean but Ven is a little to greedy and taking everything from Fay.
Old school wean is the way for us I suppose.
It went well, Venna is still with Nanny Beauty and my fencing is still standing *whooo hooo*
I'll take some fresh new pics today for you all ;)

babymomma
November 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
just curious.. how old does a horse have to be to be weaned?

erykah1310
November 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Some people do it insanely young (IMO) but right now Venna is going on 5 months on the 4th and has been eating feed and roughage for a good 3 months now.
I have heard many people do it around 4 months, and others 8 months +. One person actually suggested I do her at 6 weeks:eek:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info, erykah.