Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostered Mama and six kittens - mom has coccidiosis

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM
What would be the recommended diet be? I am currently using Royal Canin Medi Cal Feline but we are going through 2kgs (4.4lbs) every six days or so and it's expensive because all of my cats are eating freely. I *could* try to feed everyone separately but with six eight week old kittens and three adults it's just so much easier to let them eat it freely and give the kittens kitten food throughout the day. Also, I've read here on the forum that this food isn't as good as they say it is.

Mama's poop did firm up well after three weeks of constant liquid diarrhea so it does seem to be working. She has a mild case of coccidiosis but the SPCA won't take her or the four kittens we aren't keeping back until she has three consecutive negative poop tests. She's had one pos and one neg now.

I'm not paying for it, the SPCA here is but they are perpetually broke.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
LOVE YA FOR FOSTERING :lovestruck: :angel:

No this is not the greatest food for your precious sweeties. I feed my foster kittens raw and I can tell you they are the healthiest kitties going! They are supplemented with Wellness Kitten Canned and Instinct Canned. I have had every vet who has seen them comment on how great their physique is :thumbs up, very muscular. If you can't afford these, then Wellness makes larger cans of cat (adult food) that can save quite a bit of money and is acceptable for kittens, especially if you supplement with some raw meat.

Ummmm now can we have some pics of your kitties :D PLEASE :o

I pay for my fosters food because the stuff the Humane Society provides is not good quality and they don't have the funds either.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
If you find canned is too expensive, try supplementing them with Orijen kibble, it is good for both kittens and nursing mommas.

14+kitties
November 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
You could also try adding some pure pumpkin to momma's food. Not a lot. About 1/2 to 1 tsp per feeding. It helps to firm up the bowels. Make sure it's not the pie filling. It needs to be pure pumpkin. You can find it beside the pie fillings in most stores.

And I agree with L4H. Thanks for fostering!!!

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you for the reply! It's not so much the cost for me but the SPCA. They said they provide the food and because it was a specialty food I didn't even think of the cost. But then I was in there today and the manager told me she had to pay for some Katimavik sp? volunteer's bus fair with her own money and I realised how broke they are. We've used 4 or 5 bags at $20 each now and it's really a lot. I think I will pay the bill for it at the vet's but look for the other foods you kindly mentioned here. I'm sure none of the vets have Wellness or Orijen. It's either Royal Canin or Prescriptives or something like that. Can you get it at the pet store?

They had their 8 week shots today (we had to do in the driveway of the SPCA because we are infected. :) ) and they couldn't believe how big and healthy they are so that made my son and I proud as we've been babying them for the last four weeks. It's also amazing that none of the babies have coccidiosis, I'm glad they aren't sick. We didn't know what to give them really so they get Iams soft food and Iams kitten food. Our adult cats eat Iams indoor cat food. I am going to the pet store tomorrow though, just reading about the lack of quality in most pet foods has made me ill and now I'm on a mission to find them something more healthy to eat!

You know what? Mama was eating pumpkin guts yesterday when I was carving the pumpkin! I have video of it, very sweet. Her and a little one. I will pick up some plain pumpkin tomorrow, what a great idea! I've even read that before but didn't even think of it for mama.

I'm so enjoying this fostering experience, even with the runny poop. The babies are adorable and mama's a sweetheart. They will be transferred from the north interior here to the lower mainland and Vancouver island where they are supposed to get better homes.

Here's some pics. I'll post more! Gah, they are so adorable!!!!

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
What a gorgeous fur family! :flirt: They really do look healthy--you and your son have done a fabulous job with them! :grouphug:

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
They are so beautiful, THANK YOU so much for posting pics. Normally coccidia is not a big problem in healthy cats. I think if you can get momma on a healthier food it may do her good. You can only find Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct or Orijen at a quality pet food store, not at the vets.

Ancientgirl or Kathryn may be able to let you know where in the States to buy it if you are there. I will PM them and ask them to respond.

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the reply! It's not so much the cost for me but the SPCA. They said they provide the food and because it was a specialty food I didn't even think of the cost. But then I was in there today and the manager told me she had to pay for some Katimavik sp? volunteer's bus fair with her own money and I realised how broke they are. We've used 4 or 5 bags at $20 each now and it's really a lot. I think I will pay the bill for it at the vet's but look for the other foods you kindly mentioned here. I'm sure none of the vets have Wellness or Orijen. It's either Royal Canin or Prescriptives or something like that. Can you get it at the pet store?

They had their 8 week shots today (we had to do in the driveway of the SPCA because we are infected. :) ) and they couldn't believe how big and healthy they are so that made my son and I proud as we've been babying them for the last four weeks. It's also amazing that none of the babies have coccidiosis, I'm glad they aren't sick. We didn't know what to give them really so they get Iams soft food and Iams kitten food. Our adult cats eat Iams indoor cat food. I am going to the pet store tomorrow though, just reading about the lack of quality in most pet foods has made me ill and now I'm on a mission to find them something more healthy to eat!

You know what? Mama was eating pumpkin guts yesterday when I was carving the pumpkin! I have video of it, very sweet. Her and a little one. I will pick up some plain pumpkin tomorrow, what a great idea! I've even read that before but didn't even think of it for mama.

I'm so enjoying this fostering experience, even with the runny poop. The babies are adorable and mama's a sweetheart. They will be transferred from the north interior here to the lower mainland and Vancouver island where they are supposed to get better homes.

Here's some pics. I'll post more! Gah, they are so adorable!!!!

What sweeties you have! You are a good person for trying to give them a good start.

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you! :)

Love4himies, I'm in BC, in the north interior.

When you say 'raw' is there a certain way to do this?

The gray one above is Spot, he has a spot on the left leg and the orange is Hercules, he is one big kitty! These are two we are keeping. These pics were from a couple of the weeks ago, here are some more recent pics.

Here are some more pics. My son does the naming. :)

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
OMG I am in love with your foster kittens.

Interior BC, hmmm, is that in the Kamloops area or more rural.

As for raw, I would give my foster kittens a prepared raw diet, comes frozen and can be bought at quality pet food stores, or I would buy extra of what ever I was eating for dinner and give them some (poultry or beef, not pork). If you have wild game, they always preferred that to domestic. Canada Goose was their fav. We have a hunter friend that would provide that to us.

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
More pics.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
I am going to have a heart attack from looking at those sweeties :cloud9::lovestruck:

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
We are about a 6 hour drive north of Kamloops, do you know where Prince George is? We are an hour south of Prince George.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any raw food cat food at our pet store, unfortunately. I will look for some high quality dry and soft food though. I could try to convince my husband to go out and shoot a deer! I can't stand it but I'm sure the cats would love it! :)

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
Aren't they great? It's been one heck of a hard decision to make to pick the ones we will keep. We may keep mama, too. I'm so worried she won't get a good home.

TeriM
November 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
OMG, they are all soooo adorable :cloud9:.

Good job on the fostering :thumbs up.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
We are about a 6 hour drive north of Kamloops, do you know where Prince George is? We are an hour south of Prince George.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any raw food cat food at our pet store, unfortunately. I will look for some high quality dry and soft food though. I could try to convince my husband to go out and shoot a deer! I can't stand it but I'm sure the cats would love it! :)

Yup, lived in Edmonton before coming to Ontario.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Aren't they great? It's been one heck of a hard decision to make to pick the ones we will keep. We may keep mama, too. I'm so worried she won't get a good home.

OMG that is what I did with my first foster, Sweet Pea. It is called a foster failure when you end up adopting your foster :laughing:. We love foster failure stories.:D.

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
:D Foster failure, that's me.

I originally went in to get a kitten, my adult cat, Pookie I didn't think would take to an adult but he's totally been great with Mama.

They had kittens but there was Mama in a cage with all six babies. They couldn't run and play and she couldn't get a break from them. The ladies at the SPCA didn't have time to spend with them and at four weeks they were hissy and frightened of everything. So, they clearly needed us! They told me Mama and the babies had been exposed to coccidiosis but this only meant they needed us even more. A week before a mom and babies all were put down because the babies were very ill with coccidiosis and the shelter was over full of cats. I don't think they had the time to deal with it. I hated to think of this happening with our mama.

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Here are our other cats, Pookie and Pebbles.

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM
I love all your cats! :flirt: So pretty! I wonder what Pookie and Pebbles think about the influx of new faces recently? :D

I love the kitty-cuddling pics...and the names your son chose! 'specially "Snake"! :laughing: That pile of kittens pic is absolutely adorable! :cloud9:

As to foster failure...well...it happened here, too...only with dogs. :o

14+kitties
November 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Awww, they are all so so sweet!! I love them! :cloud9: What a great thing you did! Thank you very much. The world needs more :angel: like you!

CaptainOlimar
November 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. :cloud9: I tell people I'm fostering and a lot wrinkle their noses and they are bemused as to why I want the extra work and I'm quite literally on cloud 9, I love it!!

Pookie and Pebbles are ok. Pebbles' nose it totally out of joint but she's coping and Pookie is annoyed when he gets attacked. One thing that really helps is that Mama is a totally calm cat.

We have a dog, too, Daisy. Snake was trying to get milk out of her the other day, can you post video here? I got some really cute video of it.

My son (he's seven) picked the name Snake because she was so hissy when we got them. The were terrified now they follow us around and climb on our laps. I'm so glad to have helped them - they can really get good homes now that they are friendly.

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Given the circumstances, Snake sounds like the perfect name! :D

If you post a video on a photo/video sharing site (like photobucket or yahoo!) you can post the link here...you post links by clicking on the blue orb with the chain link in front of it on the tool bar just above the reply window. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Pookie and Pebbles are gorgeous!

rainbow
November 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Pookie and Pebbles are beautiful :lovestruck: and the kittens are sooooo adorable. :cloud9:

Thank you for everything you have done. :angel: :grouphug:

kathryn
November 2nd, 2008, 04:35 AM
For 8 weeks how'd you get them to be so darn big? :eek:

http://a130.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/l_b41a1dcb893c7f1177e455f9be7da091.jpg

That's my last group when they were 7 weeks and the orange one was about 10 weeks. Maybe I just have mini-kitties where I live? :laughing:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
:D Foster failure, that's me.

I originally went in to get a kitten, my adult cat, Pookie I didn't think would take to an adult but he's totally been great with Mama.

They had kittens but there was Mama in a cage with all six babies. They couldn't run and play and she couldn't get a break from them. The ladies at the SPCA didn't have time to spend with them and at four weeks they were hissy and frightened of everything. So, they clearly needed us! They told me Mama and the babies had been exposed to coccidiosis but this only meant they needed us even more. A week before a mom and babies all were put down because the babies were very ill with coccidiosis and the shelter was over full of cats. I don't think they had the time to deal with it. I hated to think of this happening with our mama.

Money is always tight at shelters :sad:. So glad you offered your home and help, it will help ensure that these guys get a good start in life.:angel:

CaptainOlimar
November 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
I know, kathryn. Not sure how they are so big! Mama is a pretty big cat. Maybe someone miscalculated their age? They were brought in to the SPCA, Mama didn't have a name and at four weeks they had already given one of the kittens away. :sad: Breaks my heart, the little one probably died.

Your babies are cute! It's so hard to get good pics of them unless they are eating or sleeping.

It sucks that the shelters don't have enough money.

CaptainOlimar
November 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Thought I would mention exactly how and what I am feeding them.

The kittens share a can of Iams soft food, chicken or lamb and rice in the morning. They eat the Medi Cal food freely throughout the day plus I put dry Iams kitten food down for them to snack on periodically. Mama can't have it so it's only down long enough for everyone to feed while I hold squirming mom. Then, at dinner I soften kitten food with water - about 3/4 cup. They nurse a few times a day still.

I have another question. We used to feed soft food all the time but one of my cats developed severe teeth trouble, grimy, coated teeth. We had them cleaned and then cut out the soft food. Are their certain types that are worse for their teeth?

Editing: Kathryn, I went to one of your profile pages, my son is homeschooled as well! Sounds like you love animals very much, you are doing a great job!

CaptainOlimar
November 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm home from the pet store!

Picked up a bag of cat and kitten Orijins dry kibble, Merrick Turducken and Cowboy Cookout soft food, Wellness Chicken formula soft food. They only had two cans of Wellness so I got the Merrick as well. They had raw dog food but none for cats, they are going to find out if they can get raw for cats. So, all-in-all, I feel I was pretty successful and am excited to start them on this new, adequate food! Love4himies, which brand of raw do you use and what others would you recommend? I'm not sure what brand of dog food they had at the pet store.

They had other food as well, "Natural Balance" "Technical Precision", "Horizon Legacy Adult", "Horizon Premium Kitten". I'm glad I found Orijins but I am curious about these other brands as well. Should I start posting all this food stuff to the food board?

I uploaded some video to YouTube, here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsCGJ7ikMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJeCqtUVthU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDKYAI40rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Bjom3OFlo

Sorry about the crappy quality. I compressed them to upload to my Photobucket account but it kept failing so I uploaded them as is to YouTube when I probably could have used the higher quality versions. Anyway, they are some cute babies and I hope you all enjoy them.

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm glad you managed to find some good food. I'm getting some Turducken next week for my gang. LOL, I figure I'll give that to them on Thanksgiving.

CaptainOlimar
November 2nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I read the ingredients to my hubby and his lips were smacking, I'm going to give them all some tonight (not hubby!). Pookie generally sticks his nose up at soft food but maybe he will try this good stuff.

I was watching some kittens on YouTube and the ones that state the ages definitely are smaller than these ones. I'm thinking the birth date *must* have been off.

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah some of the foods I've bought my gang smells pretty good. It took me a while to get mine to like wet food, but they eventually really liked it. I think it's cute how you have 3 orange and 3 gray.

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
ha ha :laughing: Snake trying to nurse off Daisy :laughing:

And momma walking by and snickering, saying: have fun Daisy.

What a great, calm momma cat, I think she is a keeper.:thumbs up

Those kittens are so adorable.

CaptainOlimar
November 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for looking at the videos!

I want to crack open a can of food here but they are all napping! I don't want to wake them up.

They LOVE the Orijins dry food though. Heck, how could they not?

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Actually it is no longer believed that hard food is better for cat's teeth than canned. The best thing besides actually brushing them yourself is to allow them to chew on raw bones, like chicken backs. Most kibble barely gets chewed, however a large chicken bone (chicken backs) will make the cat chew the bone with their back teeth. I find when my fosters and Jasper eat raw, they even use their back teeth to chew the larger meat pieces, but they don't when they eat kibble, they swallow it whole. Jasper does get supplemented with Orijen because he is sooooo hyper that he was loosing so much weight on a canned only diet. He also gets one meal a day of raw.

Also, cats on kibble are chronically dehydrated which is hard on their bodies. They are meant to be on raw diet consisting of about 80%water.

A lot of gingivitis is genetic related, just like humans. My two cats Puddles and :rip: Snowball were on the same diet and Snowball started getting tartar at about 8 years old, with his first dental cleaning at 10 and Puddles is going on 13 years old and has very minor tartar.

Here is some good reading on cat nutrition:

http://www.catinfo.org/

CaptainOlimar
November 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I found a place in PG that sell Natures Variety food, maybe they have raw cat food.

It makes me sad to think that I had no idea moist food was *better* for cats than dry, my other cats (Buster and Button were 12 and 15 when they died) might have been healthier and for a longer amount of time if I had known.

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
The only thing I find about the Natures Variety raw is that there could be some freezer burn, making it not so palatable for the kitties. I thaw in the fridge overnight, warm up some water in the microwave and mix the medallions in the hot water to make it more pleasant for the kitties.

CaptainOlimar
November 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM
We are waiting for this week's poop test results, fingers crossed it's negative. She's been eating dry and moistened Orijins cat food and Merrick soft food since Sunday. Her poop is softer and more smelly but maybe she will need some time to get used to the food. I didn't have any of her previous food to mix into the new and I refused to buy another bag of overpriced Gastro for that purpose.

I'm hoping her poop firms back up and her test is negative. She is happy and is nursing the kittens a lot. When she was really sick with liquid poop she didn't nurse for often or for very long. So, I'm sure she's feeling fine. Everyone else is doing really well on the new food.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Me again!

Pebbles has diarrhea today. :( She really likes the Orijen food, I'm hoping :pray: that she's just getting used to the new food and that she doesn't have coccidia as well. I've never had a cat get diarrhea from new food though and I had been switching it around in the summer because Pepples is pretty chubby but nothing we tried helped her lose weight. I restricted from free fed and still no weight loss. I think we will have her thyroid checked next.

Anyway, they should have the poop test results today for us. I will have to drive an hour north to Prince George, our pet store still doesn't have more Wellness or Merrick soft food and just the small bags of Orijen cat food, it could be two weeks before they get more. They like the Wellness best (except Pookie who won't touch any of hte soft food). Winter tires are on the car, it looks like snow. The things we do for our kitties. :)

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Have you made the food switch gradual? I've read not only on this forum but online that cats who have their food switched from one day to the next may have tummy issues. That happened to me once about a year ago. I didn't know about the gradual switch and mine got diarrhea.

I've been gradually switching them to EVO this week and they are doing well and it seems they are enjoying the new food. That's also another brand you can look into.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM
The only thing I find about the Natures Variety raw is that there could be some freezer burn, making it not so palatable for the kitties. I thaw in the fridge overnight, warm up some water in the microwave and mix the medallions in the hot water to make it more pleasant for the kitties.

Thank you so much Love4himies, I really appreciate all this fabulous information.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Have you made the food switch gradual?

No, I didn't do it gradually. :( I didn't have any Gastro left. I have never switched cat food gradually.

It could be that the formulas of cat food I was using before were so similar that it wasn't a problem though.

Love4himies
November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Good luck today.

I have never had a problem switching any of my cat's food. Jasper is the only cat that I have had who has a very sensitive tummy and can't have any grains. He switches between Wellness grain free, Instinct canned, raw, and some Orijen daily with no problems. He did OK on Wellness Core, but still had soft stools.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
So, the poop test is negative!

I just read in another thread that Orijen could make poop more smelly so the fact that our cats seem to be more stinky doesn't mean they aren't feeling well. Yay!

I didn't drive to PG today, the roads are really bad with snow and rain. I even won tickets to a concert in PG but had to refuse them because I can't get up today to pick them up. Darn winter.

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Great news on the poop test! :highfive:

Hope the roads are cleared soon so you can get to PG for food. We haven't had any measurable snow yet, but any day now... Not looking forward to the driving, but it does keep the dogs' feet clean! :D

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
It is nice and clean with the snow, hey? No bugs either. Come Feb we will be desperate for spring, though. :laughing:

The roads are passable but a lot of people don't have winter tires on yet. My husband and son came across a pickup in the ditch on the way to town already today.

Our Total Pet store has Orijen food but only the small bags so I will make due with that. And they have small cans of Merrick so at least our cats will get by until I can get to PG to stock up.

14+kitties
November 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear the tests have come back negative! Fabulous! I would think the fast food change is part of the problem with the poops. Have you tried pure pumpkin yet to firm up the poop? Or Slippery Elm? You can add it right to the food and they won't even notice it.

I noticed you said you moistened the dry food. How long do you leave it sitting out afterwards? Germs can start to multiply quickly on moistioned dry food. Half an hour is the maximum time for it to be left out.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi 14+kitties, Pebbles didn't have the softened food, she eats canned soft food opened right before I feed them and dry Orijen.

I've been feeding a bit of pure pumpkin (1 tablespoon) to Mama's food ever since Sat - I found a can in my cupboard - 100% pumpkin. Mama's poop has been pretty well the last 18 hours.

14+kitties
November 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry.:o Guess I must have misunderstood your one post.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
It is my posting about a few different issues and not always in a clear way, it's a wonder anyone can keep track. :laughing: And, I post a lot. :D

Love4himies
November 6th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear it is negative :thumbs up

That means we need more pics to celebrate:D Pretty please.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Glad to hear it is negative :thumbs up

That means we need more pics to celebrate:D Pretty please.

No doubt! I'm on it! :D They are nine weeks old now and own this house!

Love4himies
November 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
No doubt! I'm on it! :D They are nine weeks old now and own this house!

:mwaha: I know what it is like to have kittens running the house :laughing:

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM

More photos. Above is Mittens, the three are Hercules, Sneezy and Mittens.

In this post Mama, Pebbles and Snake.

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
What a lovely furry family you have!:lovestruck:

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM
So, the poop test is negative!

I just read in another thread that Orijen could make poop more smelly so the fact that our cats seem to be more stinky doesn't mean they aren't feeling well. Yay!

I didn't drive to PG today, the roads are really bad with snow and rain. I even won tickets to a concert in PG but had to refuse them because I can't get up today to pick them up. Darn winter.

Actually for Jasper, it made his poop less smelly.

chico2
November 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
OMG,this is the first time I read this post and what a great treat to see all these wonderful pics and videos,a beautiful,beautiful kitty-family:lovestruck::lovestruck:thank you!!
Mama cat is stunning and such a good cat getting along with everyone,I hope you are able to keep her,the thought of her in an over-crowded shelter is tooo sad:sad:
Your pup must be a wonderful dog,putting up with being suckled,adorable:cloud9:

I feed my cats Wellness canned and one of my cats,who has hyperthyroidism,has really smelly poop,but I don't make it an issue and neither does my vet,since he's doing really well on the Wellness No Grain.

Oh and by the way,you are a really good kitty-photographer:thumbs upand I am happy you found your way to our Forum:thumbs up

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I hope you decide to stay on this forum. :pray:

Precious, precious kittens :cloud9: :lovestruck: They are so beautiful.

Your foster mom looks a lot like my first foster momma (who I ended up keeping :o), she had 7 kittens.

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thank you so much, Chico2, ancientgirl and Love4himies. :grouphug: I lucked out finding this forum and also I lucked out with such a fabulous mama and set of babies to foster. It's been an honour! I just wish I could do it again. But, the thought of giving them back is heartbreaking, maybe I'll get better at it. They say at our shelter when the kittens and even adult cats go to Vancouver or Victoria they are adopted almost right away, especially kittens. I'm hoping they are getting really good homes and even if they *are* left outside the weather down at the coast is so mild at least they aren't freezing. The ladies from our shelter drive down every week, it's a 9 hour drive to Vancouver, to Victoria a 9+ hour drive plus a two hour ferry ride. I think this is where the budget goes! :laughing:

It's odd how smelly their poop is. But, once you get used to it, actually smells more healthy. If that makes sense. It's also way darker and I think they are pooping less so it's all good. I don't have access to EVO in town, ancientgirl or else I would try it as well. I'm sure I will find a far bigger selection in Prince George. I may drive up Sun if the weather co-operates.

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, forgot to say, I'll be staying here!!!! You are all kindred spirits!!! :)

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I lucked out myself finding this forum over a year ago and I'm so glad I found it.

You know, my gang have been on Wellness for several months and their poop smells pretty darn bad. :laughing: I'm hoping the smell is toned down a bit with the EVO, but whether it is or isn't, there's not much I can do.:rolleyes:

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I lucked out myself finding this forum over a year ago and I'm so glad I found it.

You know, my gang have been on Wellness for several months and their poop smells pretty darn bad. :laughing: I'm hoping the smell is toned down a bit with the EVO, but whether it is or isn't, there's not much I can do.:rolleyes:

You may have mentioned it already but I need to be told again. Why are you switching from Wellness to EVO? And, do you feed soft and dry or only soft?

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I switched because none of my gang were really eating their food. They were turning their noses up to the Wellness, so I wondered if maybe the formula had changed with the company being sold. But it might be my gang are just bored with it too. So, I figured EVO was another brand that I know is very high quality and I don't think it had ever been part of the big pet food recall.

I've managed to get them on it fully and they seem pleased so far. If at some point they decide to get bored with this, I can always go back to Wellness.:shrug:

I feed them just wet. I used to do wet and leave them dry out for snacking purposes, but Vlad being such a big boy, I was worried he'd get fat so I stopped the free feeding of dry.

I leave them fresh water daily, but feeding wet at least I know they are getting moisture with their food.

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the info, ancientgirl.

How much soft food does each cat get a day?

I had a cat who wouldn't eat any food without corn in it! I think he just developed a taste for it. All nine I have here really like the Wellness soft food. Has it ever been recalled? I know it's made in China but there isn't any wheat gluten in it so that made me feel better.

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Cool, thanks for the info, ancientgirl.

How much soft food does each cat get a day?

I had a cat who wouldn't eat any food without corn in it! I think he just developed a taste for it. All nine I have here really like the Wellness soft food. Has it ever been recalled? I know it's made in China but there isn't any wheat gluten in it so that made me feel better.

I don't mind answering questions if it will help. :D

I feed each of my gang 3 tablespoons in the morning and another 3 in the evening. Luckily, each one of the 12/13oz cans I get yields enough for each to get their 3 at each feeding time. I also add a little bit of water, a couple of tablespoons of warm water actually, and that helps stretch it a little. They don't seem to mind.

I actually thought Wellness was made here in the US though. That I'm aware of it's never had a recall issue, which is one of the reasons many of us feed that.

chico2
November 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
OMG,I did not know Wellness was made in China,are you sure:confused:

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Wellness is not made in China. It's made at plants in the US and Canada.

chico2
November 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thank's SCM,got a little worried there:laughing:I would never feed my cats food from China:cat:

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Fromms canned food is made in China, that is why I stopped buying it.

chico2
November 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Wow,see I did not know that either,does it say so on the can??
I tried Fromms,but they did not like it:cat:

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wow,see I did not know that either,does it say so on the can??
I tried Fromms,but they did not like it:cat:

From the Fromm website, for what it's worth:

Where is your product made?
All of our dry pet food and treats are made in the USA at our own USDA-inspected plant in Wisconsin. Presently our canned food and gravies are made at a human food plant regulated by the FDA, USDA, CFIA, and European Union in China. We are actively searching for a US facility to produce our cans but we have not found a plant that measures up to our strict quality standards. Rest assured the cans we currently produce are of extremely high quality, completely safe, and government inspected.

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry for the confusion! For some reason I got Fromms and Wellness mixed up or I thought they were part of the same company!! I read that exact quote from sugarcatmom's post and thought it was about Wellness food.

:sorry: I will have to double check my info, especially about something so important.

Ancientgirl, thank you so much for the info. I think I'm totally over feeding my cats!! :D

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM
It's odd Fromms said they can't find high enough standards in North America but China is ok considering human grade milk products made in China have harmed and even killed some babies. Strange.

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
CaptainOlimar, I've stressed out a lot over the amount of food I feed my gang for a long time. I finally think I've got it to an amount where they are all satisfied. They all get enough at each feeding (once in the morning and once in the evening, and on the weekends they get a little snack mid-day :D) and as far as weight, they all are where they should be for their size. My heaviest is Vlad, he's at 17.5, but he's a big cat and I actually think if he weighed any less he'd look too skinny and boney.

CaptainOlimar
November 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I am totally over feeding mine with all day kibble and snacks and now soft food for Pebbles, Pookie won't eat it. Pebbles is chubby and Pookie is over weight, too. Pookie is healthy looking but Pebbles is obese. She was this way when we got her at three months. I'm not sure if she's been conditioned to over eat or if it's a medical thing. Gotta get on that. I do think they would benefit from a more structured feeding schedule. I love this forum, I'm learning so much! :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
A check up would be good. Just to make sure her weight isn't anything medical. When Vlad and Oksana were kittens, I started them off on dry. I thought that was best and was afraid of having wet food out all day. I've learned since that wet food is okay if it's out on their plate for a while.

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
It's odd Fromms said they can't find high enough standards in North America but China is ok considering human grade milk products made in China have harmed and even killed some babies. Strange.

That's when I stopped buying Fromms, it is Puddles' favourite and I would give it to her for a treat. If they don't have controls over their baby formula, then I hardly doubt they have controls over pet food. :sad:

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Captianolimar, fostering is very heard on the heart. It is so hard to say goodbye to the little sweeties, breaks my heart like you wouldn't believe. Even DH gets upset and doesn't want me to foster, but you know what I say to myself: It is not the kittens fault they are in this situation so I am going to be brave and do the best I can for those few kittens that come into my home. I love all my fosters as if they were my own and I think of all of them often.

Soooo do it for the kittens :grouphug:

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2008, 06:14 AM
You foster moms are WAY braver than I could be.:grouphug:

chico2
November 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Yes,braver than me too,but if I could I would do it and thank dog,for all the wonderful foster-moms here:grouphug:

CaptainOlimar
November 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
:grouphug:

Been psyching myself up for when they must go. In the future I may do it again. I'm sure I will get better at it. It's very rewarding to take hissy and scared babies and help them become socialized to people and a household. You are right, Love4himies, they need us.

CaptainOlimar
November 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, so one of the our babies, Spot (we are keeping him) likes to be held. He sat on my shoulder while I changed the bed the other night, I put a cover on a comforter and changed all the sheets and he stayed and watched the whole thing. He wants to hang out with me in the kitchen all the time while I'm cooking. I know, ew, but I don't care. :D

My husband suggested I put him in the sling I used for my son so my hands are free while he is asleep. Yesterday evening he slept there for two hours. I cleaned litter boxes, put a bunch of Lego together, played a video game and washed dishes! with Spot in the sling sound asleep and happy as can be. He is the sweetest little cat.

Here's also one of kittens sleeping with Daisy.

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
:cloud9:

What sweet pictures! If you go by fur color, Daisy could be mistaken for their mother! :laughing:

I know I can't foster. I just don't have the willpower for it. The admiration I feel for those strong enough to do it is tinged with awe. :grouphug:

CaptainOlimar
November 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I know I can't foster. I just don't have the willpower for it. The admiration I feel for those strong enough to do it is tinged with awe. :grouphug:

It is soooooo hard!!!! I had no idea when I took them in. Having them and the experience will make up for the loss...I hope. I will be here bawling afterward. I've already talked to my husband about taking them to the SPCA, I don't think I could do it. He will have to drive at least because I can't drive and cry at the same time. :cry:

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, I hear ya! The Pack recently treed a kitty in the back yard. The cat was only here overnight and I still cried when I dropped it off at the shelter the next day :cry: Luckily, hubby was driving. :o

kathryn
November 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Haha, you jynxed me! My 2 fosters at my grandmoms house are now on Albon for coccidia :rolleyes: The little tux we call Oreo had the poops and the shelter gave us Albon and Lysine. So just as your kitties are getting better mine just got sick :laughing:

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Your kitties are so cute that they won't be long at the SPCA ;) Have you decided whether you are keeping momma?

CaptainOlimar
November 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Mama is staying. There is no way I could send her back to the SPCA, she fits in really well here. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Oh, that's wonderful! :thumbs up

Love4himies
November 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Mama is staying. There is no way I could send her back to the SPCA, she fits in really well here. :lovestruck:

:thumbs up:highfive: I LOVE FOSTER FAILURES :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'm so glad you're keeping momma and Spot. I'm sure the others will find homes quickly.

And don't feel "eww" about cooking with Spot in the kitchen. When I cook, I've got all of them in the kitchen and at least 2 on the counter. Prepping is interesting to say the least. I just use a separate board to do all my cutting, which they are NOT allowed near. But I don't have the heart to kick them off. They are there because they just want to be with me and be part of what I'm doing, how can I turn them away for that?

CaptainOlimar
November 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
That's sweet ancientgirl. :cat:

chico2
November 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
:thumbs upI too am happy you are keeping mama,chances are she would not do well in a cage at the shelter and she seems like such a sweet girl:lovestruck:

Stacer
November 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Wow, this is such a wonderful failure!! :laughing:

Those babies are the absolute cutest :cloud9:

Kudos to you for taking Mama in and making her babies strong so they can find forever homes :highfive:

I hope to foster someday (have to get hubby on board though:D)

rainbow
November 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Aww, Momma and Spot have found a great home. :cloud9:

Thanks for being a foster failure. :D

CaptainOlimar
November 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone. I'm taking in a poop test today. I think she's fine as her poops are healthy.

I've posted some recent pics of the kittens and Daisy at the picture board, also there are some pictures of the rest of our pets.

If Mama's poops are fine the babies will go back to the SPCA to be shipped out on Tuesday. Not sure when they will go back, they are closed Sun and Mon, I'm hoping someone will be there Mon afternoon or evening so they don't have to spend the weekend there. They would be fine, I guess it doesn't matter, it's going to be hard no matter what.