Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scaredy Dog Skylar

Stacer
November 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
I bought some new wooden hangers today and didn't get around to putting them away before DH and Skylar came home (she got to go to work with daddy today:cloud9:)

The hangers were taped together and sitting on the livingroom floor, Skylar was scared of them. I mean tail between legs-jump at the slightest noise freaked out.

I took some video on my little digicam, not the greatest quality. I've never seen her scared of an inanimate object before, it was so weird.

Perhaps she was beaten with a hanger in her past life? But she's never shown fear towards hangers before :shrug:

I finally cut them apart and she was still fearful, she eventually took one in her mouth and kept dropping it and jumping back as though it was gonna get her.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=286825090620445011&hl=en-CA

This one's a bit longer
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4503378208246536258&hl=en-CA

What causes a dog to become fearful of random things like that?

Frenchy
November 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
What causes a dog to become fearful of random things like that?

Sometimes it's just the unknown , Nelly is scared of many things ....

aslan
November 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
lol, poor baby. I agree with frenchy about it being the unknown. quincy will do that with some stuff.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I think you should send him my way, I'll study his reaction to all sorts of things then give you my diagnosis :D, don't promise to give you Skylar back though :cloud9:

TeriM
November 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Awwww, silly Skylar :cloud9:. I love how she is trying to be sooo brave :lovestruck:.

Tundra_Queen
November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Poor pup! Have u tried laying down on the floor with the hangers on your stomach to show her they won't hurt u or her? Tried carrying the hangers around too?

Debbie

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry Stacer, I called Skylar a he, I should have known better :o

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evan took a dislike to a neighbor's Christmas decoration one year. :o It was a reindeer made out of logs and wire. He wouldn't even walk in front of their house. So one day, I coaxed him up their front walk, closer and closer, and finally (after about 30 minutes) I was close enough to pet the reindeer and give it a kiss on the nose with Evan a leash-length away. Evam sniffed it cautiously, and then never paid it any more mind. :shrug: :D

To this day I have no idea why he disliked it for so long. :dog: Maybe he and Skylar were just at 'that sensitive age' when Life starts to get a little scary... :o

I heard later that the neighbors had been watching and that Evan and the scary reindeer were the talk of the neighborhood for a while... :laughing:

14+kitties
November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
It's funny the weird things they are afraid of. One of the kittens was afraid of Keesha's hair when I groomed her a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if she thought there was another dog hiding in it or not. :D She did the s t r e t c h thing. Not too close, just close enough to sniff.

I couldn't open the videos. Hopefully tomorrow. :fingerscr

Melinda
November 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
ok, those video's made me cry, I hope you're happy Stacer!!!! to see pics of her being so gorgeous and loved is one thing........seeing a live video of her just did me in! :cloud9:she is soooooo beautiful!!! Brina gets like that over certain things.....like my new scales *L* thanks for sharing

Stacer
November 2nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
I guess it's just one of those things and I shouldn't analyse it too much. Just enjoy her silliness.

Awwww Melinda :grouphug:

Dracko
November 2nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Those videos were really cute. I've seen my cats do that but it normally doesn't last that long and they figure out "it" is okay. Can't recall Dracko (GSD) ever doing it.

I'm wondering if there was a scent on them that she didn't like?