Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 15 year old cat - think she is sick

poobear
November 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM
We have had 2 house cats for a long time the first one we got back in 1993, the second was picked up 6 months later, they were always kept indoors and treated very, very good. There were never any others in our house hold, myself, and my girlfriend at the time and the two cats, and they were never sick,and both had their needles. As time moved on we moved into another house, and eventually had a baby last year. In the last 2 - 3 months we have noticed a drastic change in the oldest cat, it started spending a lot of it's time in the basement, and stopped using the kitty litter box to pee in, and the cat was never ever like this. We have also noticed a big change in the cats weight, it was always a heavy cat around 12-14 pounds, now she hardly weighs 7 pounds, she still eats a lot, but seems to be drinking a lot more water. I don't know if the cat is upset with the introduction of a baby into the house hold - were she was always the baby, or if the cat is genuinely sick, yesterday I blocked off the basement removed all items( couch, chair, etc..) and started cleaning the floor, we moved the kitty litter boxes to another room, the other cat seems not to mind, but the older one just cried all night, and this morning wanted to go outside, she is sitting out by the back door and doesn't want to come back in. One more note here on this we have also noted lately with the change in the cats weight, she seems to have lost a lot of rear leg muscle, and when you pet her, you can feel her vertebrates in her back bone - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - as this is a long time pet.:shrug:

14+kitties
November 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
My only suggestion to you is to get your pet to the vet the sooner the better. She is quite obviously sick. Weight loss as drastic as that is not something to fool around with. Drinking tons of water is another sign of illness. Please get your kitty to a vet.

rainbow
November 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.....she is definitely very sick and you need to take her to the vet asap. It sounds like diabetes to me....

http://www.cat-lovers-only.com/feline-diabetes-symptoms.html

Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

poobear
November 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thank you for you're replies, I have to do something - this is like a child to me especially after 15 years of love and affection and is very hard to think about losing her, and to see her sick like this is even worse -:sad:

rainbow
November 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Is your vet open today so you can phone and make an appointment to take her in as soon as possible? :fingerscr

poobear
November 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
I just called the vet, but they are closed for the weekend, so I called the vets private number from their answering machine, and explained every thing to him, he was not to concerned on see her today and said that they would be open on Monday morning at 8:00 am, he said that diabetes was one of two possibilities, he did not bother to tell me what the other possibility was, I am dis heartened to think what that one is:sad::sad:, she will be at the vet first thing Monday morning.

14+kitties
November 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Drinking lots of water is also a sign of failing kidneys. There are lots of things you can do for that. As long as it's not too far advanced it is not a death sentence. We have a couple of people on here who have kept their ailing babies alive and thriving for a long time with proper care and food.

Speaking of food....... what are you feeding her? Cheap, dry food is the worse thing you can feed. Anything with corn, wheat gluten, by products are not great choices for your cat. Cats need meat, not corn. A good canned food with no by products, grains, etc is the best way to go. Wellness, Evo, Eagle Pack, any good quality food is the best you can do for her. It will also give her some of that extra water she is craving.

Check out our food forum here. There is tons of information on feeding your cats so they get the nutrition they need.

Thank you for getting her to the vet asap!! :thumbs up :fingerscr

rainbow
November 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
It could also be hyperthyroidism which is also easily treated. Glad you have an appointment for Monday morning. :thumbs up

krdahmer
November 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Everyone has advised you well so I just wanted to add some :goodvibes: for your appointment monday and second the food recommendations. Hopefully it's something treatable and you will have many more years with your furbaby! :pray::grouphug:

joeysmama
November 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Please come back and let us know how she is. I'm praying that it's something treatable and she'll be feeling better soon. I think it's a good sign that your vet didn't think it was an emergency.

I had a cat that was pretty spoiled and overweight and after our first baby was born she started to lose weight. I thought it was the upset in the household but it turns out it was a tooth problem and she wasn't chewing her food so it was kind of passing through without absorbing nutrients. We changed to a better quality food and she finally hit a healthy weight.

kanis
November 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
My Ares ate a lot, drank a lot and lost a lot of weight. He had a hyperthyroid so I thought that's all it was. He had regular vet check ups - almost bi-monthly. When his water consumption increased, I worried it was diabetes. It was cancer. He died May 10th, 2008. He would have been 16 years old on Oct 19. I miss him. Get your cat to a vet immediately.

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hi Poobear

How did the vet visit go? :goodvibes:

rainbow
November 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I was wondering the same thing.....I hope your kitty is okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

poobear
November 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry for the late reply,

Things did not go very well at all at the vets, I got some very bad news, she was diagnosed with diabetes, kidney failure, and what appeared to be intestinal cancer, we had to have her put to sleep, to stop the suffering......it was not an easy decision to make after 15 years of loyal companionship, I can't believe how quick she had started to fail, in a matter of 3-4 weeks she went from weighing 17 pounds and had dropped to 7 pounds, the vet told us that some times when the cats diet is very healthy and they are in the right environment, they can hide the fact of an illness for quite a while.
Since she had spent her entire life watching the outside world from inside, for her last 2 days we let her out to play in the leaves blowing in the wind and roll in the grass and check out all the smells and curiosities that the outdoors brings with it. We took her home yesterday and gave her a very nice spot on the property to lay to rest, it's the first place in the morning that the sun hits.
Gone but never forgotten
Ganzy(PooBear) - May 1993 - Nov 2008
:rip:

Dog Dancer
November 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Poobear - so sorry to hear you lost your sweet kitty. You did the best by her, and that is what counts. RIP sweet kitty you were well loved by your humans.

kanis
November 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Poobear,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a member of the family.

Love4himies
November 7th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear about poobear :grouphug: :cry: She is now living pain free and running and playing in the leaves.

Cats do hide their pain very well.

growler~GateKeeper
November 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Poobear I'm so sorry about Ganzy :sad: :grouphug:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Ganzy now running free at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) :candle:

rainbow
November 8th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Poobear, I am very sorry to hear about Ganzy. :sad: My deepest condolences to you for your loss. :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet Ganzy :candle: