Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescued a young cat and it turned out badly

Rustydog43
October 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
We had a stray kitty hanging around since Aug so we were feeding him he wouldn't come near till he knew we had left the shop. We fed him till he was looking better( was just fur and bone) , got a live trap from my Vet and took time but caught him . I wasn't able to take him to the Vets right away so we put him in a spare room and got him fed and healthy. We spent from Oct 1st till today just sitting in the room and talking to him , one day he got out of the room and came down and was on a counter afraid of the bigger dogs we have ( they wouldn't hurt him but he doesn't know that) . He let me pick him up and bring him back to the room. Today we had the appointment to go to the Vet and i went to pick him up and he freaked out and bit me badly . I was home alone and not able to approach him again , now what do i do ? He is just to feral ..i have never been bitten by a cat but man it hurt like you know what and still is very painful . He bit me right through my finger nail thank god i had tetnus(sp?) in 2006 , my Doc is very worried about infection says cat bits are much worse than a dog bit . I just feel so horrible i so wanted to help him ,give him a home now he hiss's and growls when we even go in the room :sorry:

krdahmer
October 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Things like that happen when you are working with a stray or feral cat, it's just a setback, you have to start all over again from the beginning, by offering food and not trying to touch or corner him, sit in the room and let him hiss and growl, just ignore him and eventually he should come to investigate you again. I know how disappointing it is when you think you've made progress and then they seem to distrust you again. I imagine the dogs and the vet trip have just freaked him out and scared him a bit so he is back in defensive mode. And yes cat bites and scratches must be cleaned quick and kept that way, I always use peroxide on mine and then fucidin (a prescription antibiotic cream) and a bandaid until they are mostly healed (I'm wearing three tonight from putting a collar on a stray because I want to see if he has a home:rolleyes:). So sorry you've had this setback:grouphug:, but don't give up yet.... you just have to start slow again, until he feels more secure. :goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Did this come on suddenly, was this the first time you picked him up? Do you know if he was ever injured? A totally feral kitty wouldn't have been patient in a house for a month, so it sounds like he is semi feral. He may be afraid you are taking him out of the room where the dogs are.

Try strarting over and hand feeding him treats to gain his trust again. Don't try to pick him up until he settles down.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Rustydog43
November 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Was only the second time that i had picked him up and i was wondering if maybe he did get scared when he saw the bigger dogs. I tell you i have never felt something so painful , i about passed out and today my finger is three times it's normal size . I will let him be just feed him clean his box and talk to him like before. I really wanted to get him to the vet for blood work and begin shots, but i guess that will now have to wait.

Winston
November 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Rustydog thanks for having patience..but have you been to the doc for your finger? you should go if you havent! you could get a very bad infection....baby steps and back to square one! Dont worry youll win you just have to be patient!

Good Luck!
:thumbs up

Toonces
November 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Everyone is right you need to get to the doc aspa, I was bit by my own cat once while we were at the vet, he was very sick and scared, not his fault. After 2 days my finger was huge and the pain unbearable the infection spead bety fast and I had to be on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Good luck with the kitty he is very lucky to have you

Love4himies
November 1st, 2008, 08:35 AM
You need to go to your doc or to emergency today for antibiotics.

14+kitties
November 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
My guess is the dog incident freaked him out. When you tried picking him up did you have him cornered or was he in the middle of the room? Did you head toward the door with him? Did you have a carrier in the room for him or were you going to take him into the vet without one? Sorry about all the questions. I am just trying to get a picture in my head.

My suggestions.... never corner a cat you aren't sure of. You never know how they will react. Most of the time it is with scratches and bites. Speak quietly to him all the time. You probably do that already but a reminder nevr hurts. Put him in a carrier in the middle of the room or as far away from the door as you can. He probably associates the door with the dogs. He knows that's how you come and go. Don't worry about how he reacts in the carrier. As in - don't feel sorry for him. He needs to go to the vet to be checked and make sure he has no other problems.

As for your finger - get thee to emerg and get it looked at. Salt baths sometimes help a lot too

Thank you for rescuing this fella. I think it is just going to take time and patience.

Stacer
November 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM
One year ago this coming Monday I rescued 2 feral kittens in the park I work at and was bitten straight through my middle finger nail by one of the little darlings. I brought the babies to the humane society (originally I wanted to keep them but got freaked after I was bitten) and they advised me to go to the doctor's due to the unknown origins/dieases that the cats might be carrying (rabies namely).

When you see a doc they are obligated by law to report all animal bites to public health. They will want to quarantine the kitty for 10 days to be sure that it doesn't have rabies. (although if you've had the cat for over a month and it's still alive and kicking, the chances of rabies are pretty much nil)

I was put on antibiotics for 2 weeks and public health called me several times to see how I was doing, they also kept tabs on how the kitten was doing at the humane society. It made it through the 10 days and I'm happy to say that I haven't started frothing at the mouth yet :D

If I were you I'd definitely see your doctor, infections from cat bites can be very nasty.

CaptainOlimar
November 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I know you saw the doc - did he/she suggest antibiotics and ask about your tetanus shot status? My brother was bit by their cat (they were moving and kitty freaked out) and his hand became extremely infected.

chico2
November 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Rustydog,you definetly need antibiotics,I have been bitten 4 times by my own cat,due to circumstances that freaked him totally.
The last time was the worst,was on antibiotic drip(IV) for 2 weeks.
This poor cat was probably terrified and reacted the only way he knows, this does not mean he is an aggressive cat.
I do not carry my own 3 cats very often,cats do generally not like to be carried around.
Don't loose hope about this little guy,my cats would be climbing the walls if there was a big dog in our house...they are not used to dogs.
Patience,treats and love is what this kitty needs now and you need antibiotics,ok:cat:

kiara
November 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Strays that live outside should not be handled or brought inside, for fear of biting or contaminating your own pets. Sorry, you had good intentions but you diddn't know. The best thing to do is take them straight from the trap to the vet. Let the vet evaluate how feral he is. Unless you handled semi-ferals before, they have lost the trust of people and can act out, by biting you, or even attacking your pets, because they are scared. You may have to stop feeding him for a few days and re-trap him and after he is neutered find him a farm where he can be a mouser.

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2008, 01:55 PM
You may have to stop feeding him for a few days ......

Never just stop feeding a cat "for a few days". Felines have a unique metabolism that doesn't down-regulate when calories aren't coming in, which can result in some serious side effects if no food is available.

chico2
November 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Kiara,I am sorry,but I do not agree with anything you say,this cat bit because he was terrified of dogs,not because he is feral and aggressive.
My own cat whom I've had for 13yrs wounded me badly,because of a dog and he's not feral.
Never stop feeding a cat ,ever!
What tells you this cat belongs on a farm as a mouser??? No way!!
After reading the original post again,maybe he is semi-feral,but I still think you are wrong.

kiara
November 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
This is my second answer. I know people don't necessarily have to agree with my opinion. But this is an open forum and I have a lot of years of experience with cats from outside. They come in all degrees of "feral". Or they can just be someone else's abandoned cat that is friendly. But in a stressful situation any animal can be unpredictable. Vets cannot take chances handling a cat they don't know and use gloves for birds of prey, which are made of thick leather. Biters can be a real danger and some of them can or cannot be rehabilitated. For you to be able to trap it again you will have to stop food for a couple of days, to make him hungry.

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
For you to be able to trap it again you will have to stop food for a couple of days, to make him hungry.

I'm not sure if you're aware that this cat is indoors at the moment. I will again reiterate that stopping food for a few days is dangerous and most certainly unnecessary in these circumstances. If the cat needs to be re-trapped, simply placing an irresistible stinky food like sardines or tuna in the trap should be sufficient. I respect that you may have a ton of experience with outside cats, but your diet advice is repeatedly poor.

kiara
November 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Rustydog 43 Good of you to help this poor kitty. But you have to see a Dr. a.s.a.p., since you need antibiotics. IT IS BETTER TO TRAP THE CAT OUTSIDE AND TAKE IT TO A VET IMMEDIATELY, TO AVOID SUCH SITUATIONS NEXT TIME !!!! I know that the cat is indoors now. But a sign of aggression and biting has to be taken very seriously and you definitely don't want to get bitten again. You yourself said, that the "cat is too feral". You may want to cover the trap, it might make it easier. Sardines and BBQ chicken really work well. You can call the vet and let them know that you are trapping indoors and can you just bring the cat in, as soon as it goes into the trap? Because they freak if they are left in the trap for too long. Some vets don't mind the cat coming in for overnight and get their check-up the next morning. Also I hope they will give you a discount since this is a stray. Good luck and let us know what happened.

Love4himies
November 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Cats can't metabolize thier fat cells efficiently and should never be allowed food for more than 24 hours, it can cause fatty liver disease.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Fatty_liver

Rustydog43
November 8th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you all for the advice i am healing well finger nail will fall off the Doc says but should come back in time . The kitty has been trapped again and we took hi to the Vet , Vet says he is most certainly feral but was sure that he would do just fine on a farm as a barn cat .