Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puzzled....kitty litter question

dogcatharmony
October 31st, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have never had this happen before, and was just wondering if any one had any ideas.

I use a clumping clay litter (Pet Excellence). I have tried changing litter types but have been very unsuccessful. The pine litters bother my little cat, she gets gooepy eyes and stuffy nose, she is very sensitive to some stuff. The big cat HATES change, and would rather pee on the floor that step in strange litter. He will hang his rear near the box, but not get in it. He's a hard fellow to work with, change anything in his life and he starts tearing out his hair......stupid stress disorder.

Anyways, this litter I use, only one of the cats pee clumps up, the other just leaves a muddy mess, nothing clumps it just saturates the litter and goes right down to the bottom of the box. As to which cat, I have no idea, I will have to set up a stake out at the litter box and investigate. Which could be hard because my two have picky litter habits, they don't like to be observed ...heck they don't even like me entering the "kitty' room. I have to lock them in the bathroom to change their litter because Amos will get nuts because someone is in his box. He comes in swinging.

I thought maybe I got a bad batch of litter, but now this is my second bag of the same kind and it is still happening. Neither one is sick, but do you think I should make a vet appt. to check their urine?? Is there something one of them could have that makes the litter not clump? Amos just had his blood and stool checked....everything perfect.

Could it just be the litter? BTW....I changed brands of clumping litter because I started going to a new pet store, my old store and me have some big issues so I refuse to ever walk into their store again.

MommaKat
October 31st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hm that's a good question. I'm not sure what's up with the funny color. Is there a particular reason your doing clumping? is that easier to clean? or do you have a box that needs specifically for clumping? I use to use "Yesterday news" which was a great litter. It does not clump but the newspaper really soaks up the pee and the smell. Though if your scooping, it will take longer to clean.

krdahmer
October 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
I use the swheat scoop and find that I often get that too, where most of the pee is in clumps, and then there is one large non-or semi-clumped pancake mess in one of the boxes at the bottom, I went and got deeper boxes, but still get the same thing. I wonder if maybe it is that one has a different concentration or lack thereof as I have a couple really heavy drinkers...

I could never stand the smell of the clay once it's been used, and the dust really bothered me, so I switched to corn (ok but weird smell in the house) then to the swheat (I don't want to try pine as I'm allergic to pine), and no one really has ever had an issue here using any of them. My two oldest girls even used those silica beads for a while (before I knew better). Not really sure what to say, I'd love to know if the actual pee could be the problem for the clumping though.

dogcatharmony
October 31st, 2008, 05:09 PM
I use the clumping because that's the only litter my two kitty's seem to want in their box. I guess after 12 years they have their preference and aren't up to change. I tried the Pine Scoop (think that's the name) and the pine scent irritated the one cat, and then I tried another litter (can't remember the name) but it was pellets also and they didn't want to go in the box because of the pellets.

There is no colour change, just one cat's pee clumps and the other doesn't. The litter is still grey, there is no strong smell. Maybe I should email the lady who owns the pet store and ask her if anyone else has had anything similar happen with this litter. :shrug: I just find it so odd.

dogcatharmony
October 31st, 2008, 05:13 PM
See that is what I was wondering to krdahmer, if one had a different concentration of something in the urine that made the clay not clump up. I was wondering what that could be and if a trip to the vet would be in order.

I don't want my vet to think I am any weirder than he already does by bringing in my two terror's and tell him one pee doesn't clump.:crazy:

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have an issue with Sweet Pea, her pee doesn't clump because she obsessively, aggressively buries her pee, making it come apart. Jasper, does big pees, so much so that the urine goes to the bottom of the pan, making a muddy mess. Puddles is perfect :lovestruck::cloud9:.

Tundra_Queen
October 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hi DCH,

Willie's pee doesn't clump. It has never really clumped. He doesn't bury it either so it is just flat. I just thought he peed so hard maybe that is why it did that.:laughing:

I use Purnia Scoop litter in the white/blue/red bag. The 2 kittens' clump.

Debbie

Jim Hall
October 31st, 2008, 07:20 PM
this happens a lot at the cattery i work at we fiured wast it was. was big pees manda drinks a lot f water sometimes more than a cup a day and pees big volumes and its always muddy i just cover it for a bit wiyh dry and it clumpx

du is the opposite she ppes in small volumes and doesnt drink a lot of water and her's clump

dogcatharmony
October 31st, 2008, 07:30 PM
hhhmmmmm....thanks for the responses.

Both my cats aren't big water drinkers. I have only seen Phoebe drink two times in the 11 years I have had her, I asked the vet about that, and he told me she gets enough moisture in the food she is eating. She only eats wet food.

Amos drinks a bit, but not lots, he gets some wet food but prefers his kibble (the little monster) So maybe it is him, plus I imagine he has bigger pees than little wee Phoebe.

As for litter habits, Phoebe is a pig. She covers nothing, she jumps in does her business and skids out of the box like her back end is on fire. Don't know why but she has done this since the day I got her. Amos likes to dig, and dig and then fling and fling. You can hear him upstairs flinging litter across the room.

It helps knowing that others using clumping litter have had the same problems, eases my mind on it being something wrong. It could very well just be how they pee:shrug:just another cat mystery

Gail P
October 31st, 2008, 09:37 PM
It could be the brand. I've experienced the same type of thing happening with some brands. The first time I ever tried clumping litter I hated it! It seemed like the stupidest thing ever invented since the cats would dig, pee on the bottom of the box and then cover it, in effect gluing the pee to the bottom of the box so I had to do lots of scraping. I went back to regular clay litter for a long time, but the dampness in the basement where the litterbox was meant it got stinky if I didn't keep it scrupulously clean. When I did some pet sitting from friends that were away for a month I got re-introduced to clumping litter that worked better and I was converted. I bought a covered box, dumped in the litter nice and deep and never had that "gluey" mess again. But, trying different brands I did experience the partial clumping or where it would sometimes fall apart as I was cleaning. With those brands it just didn't seem to clump as well as it should and when it would fall apart them everything would seem a little damp as it mixed in, rather than staying nice and dry. I just stuck with the better brands and didn't have any more problem with that. I like the Maxx Cat brand, it clumps nicely and is nice and fresh smelling. It always stays dry and clumped up. That brand is sold in a plastic bucket and I dump in a whole bucket at a time. After a while the level begins to go down due to the scooping and I just add another whole bucketful. Works great.

14+kitties
October 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
I have pee clumps and non pee clumps too. No way am I going to be able to figure out who clumps and who doesn't. I mix the litter with Yesterday's News in two boxes, straight litter in the other. Some of them don't like the mix. :rolleyes: But it seems I always have non clumping in all of them. I thought it was a little weird too but didn't worry about it.:shrug:

Tundra_Queen
October 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
I have always used the clumping litter. I also bought a rubbermaid tote to use as a litter box. It works great! Cheaper than a litter box and nice and deep and long for Willie to be able to fix in it.

The two kittens dig a lot, but they don't hit the bottom. I don't know why I didn't think of the totes before.

Debbie

kathryn
November 1st, 2008, 06:51 AM
Hm, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't have that problem?? I've got the 7 indoor cats currently and Buddy uses the box sometimes (my other cat lives outside.... her own choice)... and all the kittens I've had... the only time it gets stuck to the bottom is when the cat digs a hole so deep and pees directly on the bottom of the litter pan or litter box and then covers it up and makes a pancake.

Otherwise, I don't have any cats who's pee doesn't clump.

I use whatever brand of litter is on sale. I don't use scented ones and me and my mom are trying to use ones that have less harmful stuff in it (umm I think silica dust is what we need to avoid ???).

We like this one the most:
http://www.glamourkitty.com/
http://www.glamourkitty.com/images/All_Natural_jug_2.jpg
It's really cheap, works really good and has minimal dust. I think it is actually 'all natural' as well.

honeybeargirl
November 3rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
have you tried the grass4upetpatch?

It's for cats and dogs. It's an organic mulch that you grow grass on. Very cool. I grew grass in 5 days, but they shouldn't use it until day 14.

When they pee on it, it fertilizes the grass, and the organic enzymes in the mulch break it down so there is no smell.

It comes with a container. It's only $25.00, so you definately get your monies worth.

My doggy loves it.

For your cat, once you grow the grass, just take some of the litter from the box and sprinkle on the grass so the cat smells it. It should work fine. Once they get used to it, you'll never want to go back.

You won't have to replace litter. Just make sure to water the grass every 10-14 days.

Very easy care.

LOVE IT!

chico2
November 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
DCH,I don't think you need to worry,I too use clumping litter(Costco's),I've tried different kinds,but I feel it's ok to use clumping clay,as long as it is not dusty.
My 3 cats drink a lot of water and sometimes the pee is in a roundish clump,sometimes longish and flat,it really does not bother me.
I too use deeper Rubbermaid bins,I change the entire litter every 2 weeks and scoop twice daily.
My litter is at least 6 inches deep,that way they do not reach the bottom so easily.
I think sometimes they move a little while peeing,hence the long flat clump.