Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aggressive response to sniff

roxyqcat
October 31st, 2008, 11:29 AM
My 9yo collie cross is totally unaggressive in all circumstances seen to date with the exception of one strange example recently observed - when I sniff his snout. :confused:

Background - he recently got lightly misted by a skunk. I gave him a shower and the next day I sniffed his snout to see if the odor was still there. He bared his teeth. Thought it was weird but basically a one-off.

Yesterday my husband sniffed to see if the smell was still there and he snapped at him!! This is a dog that tolerates just about anything - teeth brushing, foot handling, eye & ear cleaning, food handling... What's going on??? I'm worried that I have a dominance issue brewing or something like that...

Diamondsmum
October 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM
hey My Duke was the same way you sniff anywhere near him as a human & he went growly & snappy & same issue he also was sprayed by a skunk. I wondered why also.

I wonder if someone knows?

Dog Dancer
October 31st, 2008, 02:37 PM
I have no experience in this at all (skunk spraying) but if it was really recently it could just be that your dog is still sensitive in the nose area. I would imagine that it's not a comfortable feeling for them (kinda like if we smell amonia it can burn your nostrils), and the dog may still be nervous about anything too close to his face. If it continues beyond a week I'd take him to a vet to get checked for anything that may be related to that.

AmericanBullMom
October 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Well I have no idea what is causing your doggie to do this, but could it be a dominance thing? getting down on his level... I really have no idea!

Patrón doesnt like to be "huffed" at.. and he HATES when you blow in his face. Dogs have their own little personalities and weird little quirks just like people.
Or maybe he remember the experience of having the skunk close enough to his face to get sprayed... and just doesnt want anything that close anymore!

roxyqcat
October 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM
At first I thought it might have been bad memories or sensitivity about the skunk, but it's been a while now...

The thing is that he doesn't seem to have any type of sensitivity around his snout for other things - I can touch his nose and clean out his eyes and stuff or blow on him...it's just the sniffing thing. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if it was his b*m that I was sniffing...what's the big deal about his nose? I need a doggie dictionary!!!

totallyhip
October 31st, 2008, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't think it would be related to the skunk. I would say its more behavioural or dominace related. They say some dogs don't like it when you look at their eyes directly. And if your sniffing that close maybe its too close for comfort for them? Personally I wouldnt' like it if someone stuck there face against mine and sniffed me :laughing:

IluvZeus
November 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't think it would be related to the skunk. I would say its more behavioural or dominace related. They say some dogs don't like it when you look at their eyes directly. And if your sniffing that close maybe its too close for comfort for them? Personally I wouldnt' like it if someone stuck there face against mine and sniffed me :laughing:

All kidding aside though, as leader of the "pack", you should be able to sniff away without any issues on the part of your 4 legged family member. Heck, as leader, you should be able to not only sniff his/her snout, but anywhere else you want to sniff, at any time you want to sniff it, without any snapping, growling. At 9 years of age, I'm wondering what would cause this sudden change in behavior. Maybe a complete work up with the vet?

roxyqcat
November 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
that's exactly what I thought and the way I've always approached him. I can pretty much do anything with this dog, which is why the response is really bothering me. I've initiated a bit of a pack hierarchy retraining program of late, but wonder exactly how I should test the sniff response...:eek: