Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you do with your dog on Halloween??

BusterBoo
October 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Thought I would check to see what everyone does with the constant doorbell ringing all evening? I know Buster will be having fits all night and unfortunately, I won't be handing out candy this year. I plan on putting my car in the garage and going on the computer upstairs, turn the music on loud and hope Buster doesn't hear the door bell. :shrug:

Anyone else have problems with their pooches on Halloween???

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Out here it's not a problem, but when we were in the city, we kept the lights off, disconnected the doorbell and drew the drapes. :D Not very sociable, were we? :o We actually liked the quiet of the disconnected doorbell so much that we never reconnected it till it was time to move! :laughing:

Diamondsmum
October 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
LOL hazel! previous years when we had Duke :rip: I would either baby gate him into the Hall he could still see who was at the door but couldnt get past or he would be banished into teh bedroom.

Diamond hasnt figured out yet That she is sopposed to warn us (bark) when door-bell rings. So I will put her in Bedroom with Hubby & hand out The Candy. & Baby gate the hallway in case she does get out of room.

I am also make sure the cats are locked up in a room too.
:thumbs up

kathryn
October 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
My friend who has 2 dogs plans on locking them in the basement :laughing:

I have a ton of cats though, and I'm sure everyone will run and hide under the sofas or under the beds :rolleyes: They're crazy:cat:

MindysMom
October 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'll use the baby gate to keep Mindy from running out the door.

Rottielover
October 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I live in an apartment, so no one comes here, they all know I take kayla out, and the dogs do not know how to hand out candy, lol

clm
October 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
We'll be staying out in the backyard with the dogs until most of the halloween traffic is done.

Cindy

aslan
October 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
i usually put a babygate up across the front door so the three stooges can see all the little ones and give out halloween kisses.

14+kitties
October 30th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Here I don't do anything. We are out in the boonies and don't get kids. When I lived in OS and had tons of kids I stopped giving out candy at 8 pm. Small kids were done by then. I figured the bigger ones didn't need candy. I just turned off my outside light and the front lights. Very seldom ever had anyone ring the doorbell after 8. :shrug: Isn't a dark house/no outside light on a universal sign of no one home?

Frenchy
October 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I plan on putting my car in the garage and going on the computer upstairs, turn the music on loud and hope Buster doesn't hear the door bell. :shrug:

If you turn all the lights off , they won't ring your doorbell :thumbs up

I live on a main road in the boonies , no kids come here :sad: not that I can afford to give out candies , and with 3 dogs and 2 cats , it would be too much for me , but I sure miss seeing the little kiddies trick or treating. :sad:

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
We are in our new house haven't quite been here a year yet. First Halloween here. Hubby is really excited and decorating the house up. We plan on using the baby gate and I will sit with them in the kitchen/family room area (back end of house).

I know some times people set off firecrackers too that upset our babies. Our vet suggested getting Dog Appeasing Phermone either plug ins or collars. This helps to calm them.

rainbow
October 31st, 2008, 01:16 AM
We only get around 6 kids where I live as there are only six houses at my end of the road so most of the kids can't be bothered to walk down this way. I just baby gate the front door area off to keep the dogs away and the cats run and hide when someone comes to the door.

Melinda
October 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM
we have no neighbours, so no children at our door, Brina loves kids so we dress her up in a costume and take her to my moms so she can see all the kids she likes, we also carry a pumpkin treat bag and go for short walks to pass out treats to the kids, parents love having their kids pose with her*L* and Brina eats it all up!!! One little boy last year was dressed as batman , same as brina and he said "look mom!! we're twins"

BenMax
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately I will not be having Halloween at my home due to Julia. She is still not completely settled and frazzles very easily. Halloween is my ABSOLUTE favourite, and I must pass on it this year.

With my other dogs that have passed now, I never had to put them away - they just stayed in their beds....under the covers.

Mat&Murph
October 31st, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am dressing my boys up and taking them with me and the 2 legged kids trick or treating. When I get home there is not too many more kids that come around so they will just sleep. Happy Halloween Everyone!!!!!

Longblades
October 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Jet didn't mind Halloween and was intrigued with all the comings and goings. One year I even got the bright idea of teaching her to dispense the candy to the little ghouls and goblins. She caught on right away. It wasn't till I made a test run on the OH that I realized the error in my great idea. Dog drool. Nix that great idea.

PuppyBoy was only two weeks old for his first Halloween so no telling how he is going to react.

jessi76
October 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM
we don't get any trick or treaters at my house. the kids all go to the center of town to the houses there - well lit, sidewalks, safer.

Spatx
October 31st, 2008, 03:20 PM
We've been doing Halloween since I was little. We always lock our dogs away in the basement until later in the night. Cody hates visitors, and Nova will bolt out the door, so both of them are going to be crated in another area. Poor pups, but they'll get over it :D

Melanie1010
October 31st, 2008, 04:51 PM
This will be my second Halloween with Nitro, last year we had no kiddies at all... and Im in a townhouse area, which was really strange to not get anyone!

We were supposed to have Flyball at 7, which would of been perfect, but the snow isnt melted in the field so they cancelled the practice, so I guess we will be hiding in the basement with the lights off upstairs, I didnt bother buying any candy since we werent going to be home!! I may take Nitro to get his picture taken in a costume, the pet store by my house is doing them tonight, just to get out of the house!

Good luck everyone! Hope you all hand out all the candy, I hate having leftovers.. just means I have to eat it all!!! LOL

Ford Girl
October 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I dress dazy up and use it as polite door training...I posted a sign last time that said "dog in training - be right with you" and then I'd get her to sit and stay while I answer the door, we only get 20 kids tho so its not constant...she loves to greett he kids, so I let her, once Im at the door I call her down the stairs...

Spatx
October 31st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I ended up leashing Nova and using tonight to try teach her some door manners as well. She's starting to learn to sit and wait now, although seeing children gets her very excited and happy. She loves kids. Some people wanted to pet her, she got a lot of attention. Everytime the kids would leave she'd stare longinly for them to come back :rolleyes:

Dracko
October 31st, 2008, 09:55 PM
If you turn all the lights off , they won't ring your doorbell :thumbs up

Tried that. Didn't work. The house was pitch black. Dracko and I were in my bedroom which is in the back of the house and the only window is in the back. Since we have no alleys you can't see there is a light on. THEY STILL RANG THE BELL. I finally put a note on the door saying "Sorry out of candy." Didn't want to just say "No Candy" cuz maybe someone would think I was a scrooge and egg me. :p

DoubleRR
October 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
We had 18 kids over about 2.5 hrs. Caesar stopped leaping to his feet after about the 8th one.:) He doesn't bark at someone coming to the door,usually just goes to the door and stares at them--tonight he had to stay on the living room dog bed. Just have to say 'stay' before answering door.

Dharma just stayed on the porch dog bed and ignored them. Posh the new kitten hid when they were loud, but none of the pets were too concerned. This is the second Hallowe'en for the dogs where we actually had any trick or treaters--since we moved to town a year ago.

joeysmama
November 1st, 2008, 12:00 AM
Cooper runs to the door and cries every time the bell rings. Even though he's a tiny guy he's so excited that he scares some of the little ones. Later, when the big kids come out the bigger girls make a fuss over how cute he is. He wears a little orange and black jester collar with bells on it and he does look pretty darn cute and by then he's so happy that someone is paying him attention ! Halloween is a very fun time for the Coop.

Etown_Chick
November 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
I was concerned too, as this was Scruffy's first halloween with me. He barked at the first kid but after that,he thought it was all very interesting. No problems at all.

bluestar
November 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
My fiance forced us to dress them up when we took them out for their evening walk. We live in a condo building that decorates the front lobby and the owners pool all of the candy to be given out in the lobby. After we finished the walk we sat with them in the lobby while the kids came in. The kids thought it was great and the boys loved the attention. Our beagle did howl at an older kid in a pirate costume. And the little one was staring at a large stuffed black cat toy that confused him.

The poor things:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/bluestarnf/trickortreat.jpg

BusterBoo
November 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Well, we survived! Actually,I just turned all the lights off and then noticed that both my neighbours did the same thing, so I guess the kids realized this end of the street was not "halloween friendly". My only little visitor was my grandson (22 months old), dressed as a lion but not overly impressed with going out, just wanted to eat candy. Of course, Buster was fine with him and was waiting for Jeremy to drop his Smarties! (This is the same grandson who left his raisins on the bed last month, resulting in a trip to the Animal Hospital for Buster!)

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
:laughing: Bluestar, the costumes are adorable! And your boys look so fashionable in them, though your beagle doesn't seem to appreciate how the orange brings out the color of his eyes. :D

When we lived in the city I always wanted to go door-to-door with my setter and my springer and tell people these were my kids and I made the costumes myself..."Trick or treat!" Think I coulda gotten any candy? :laughing:

MommaKat
November 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
LOL Hazel, I totally would have given you candy.

We, also survived. I was not sure how Mags would react since this was my first Halloween with her. I decided to leave her in the hose with the storm door open so she could see out the screen door, and I sat outside giving out candy. She was great at first when the little little kids came (the ones dressed up like bumble bees,lady bugs and dinosaurs) . One little boy I open up the door so he could kiss her on the nose :lovestruck: When older kids came though with the big wacky masks she started to get stressed out (barking and whining ) :sad: Especially at this one kid who was decked out fully in a storm trooper costume (star wars). So I went inside gave her a frozen PB and kibble Kong then went outside and closed both doors. She was fine the rest of the night :thumbs up .

I had about 65 kids :eek: . Started at 4 and ended at 7 because I ran out of candy.

kathryn
November 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Lol I got like 11 kids =/

The best part was when it got dark and I had the lights in the house on, and all the cats were chillin'. The kid came up and rang the door bell and all the cats scattered and ran up the stairs. I opened the door and he was like "WOW your cats are SOOOO cute!" and I was like haha thanks... then he was like "how many do you have?!?!? I counted FIVE running up the stairs" and the mom was standing there and I was like ... uhhh too many :o lol they didn't care though and then the mom said I did a good job decorating so it's all good.

Luvmypitgirls
November 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Here I don't do anything. We are out in the boonies and don't get kids. When I lived in OS and had tons of kids I stopped giving out candy at 8 pm. Small kids were done by then. I figured the bigger ones didn't need candy. I just turned off my outside light and the front lights. Very seldom ever had anyone ring the doorbell after 8. :shrug: Isn't a dark house/no outside light on a universal sign of no one home?

14+kitties, does OS stand for Owen Sound by chance? Just curious as I lived there as a kid.

We stopped doing the candy thing a couple years ago, invested a lot of money hardly any kids came around. So we do our own lil Halloween party.
I turn out all the lights, so what few trickortreaters that do come around bypass my house.
When we did give out candy I would dress up the dogs and they would sit with me outside while I gave out candy, unless it was too cold, then they would be crated in the familyroom to prevent any door rushing.