Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sorry--Yet another spay question (Rescue Dog)

ScottieDog
October 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have been approved to adopt an approximately 2 year old rescue. She was spayed when she was taken into rescue. Are there any health concerns I should worry about since she was not spayed before her first heat? I was told that she never had any puppies. My other rescue was spayed at 6 months and I was told that an early spay would help cut down on mammary tumors. I will of course discuss this with my vet when I take her in for her first well-doggie checkup when she comes home.

I am not trying to start a debate about spaying, just ask a question I have never faced before. Thanks.

kathryn
October 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Well, rather late then never. She *should* be okay as long as the surgery went okay. Yes, spaying them at the appropriate time does help cut back on things, but at 2 years old and never having puppies she should be fine. Just keep up with yearly checkups and such. I adopted a dog from my moms friend who was a BYB sorry to say, and we got him neutered when he was about 5 and he was okay. Sadly, his sister did NOT ever get fixed and died of breast cancer when she was about... 6ish ?? So yeah, it's very important to get the spaying done at the right time.

As long as she doesn't have saggy dog boobs, I wouldn't be too worried about it. We just got a whole bunch of dogs in from a puppy mill raid and they were females bred over and over for YEARS and they are fixed now and they look like crap, but the shelter is optimistic they can have a few good years left.

Thanks for opting to adopt! :D Makes us all VERY happy!

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! and thank you for rescuing

Our girl is a rescue. Our vet thinks she was spayed way to early. We have no idea when her spay was done. But every now and again she has really bad incontinence. Poor baby can't control it. She will just be sleeping on the couch and then all the sudden wake up in a small puddle. She gets really embarrased by it too. :sad:

I give her a teaspoon of chopped parsley with her food when this happens. Parsley is supposed to help with incontinence in females that have been spayed too early.

But spaying when their older is completely fine. We spay all our dogs in the rescue before we adopt them out. But with the puppies they don't get spayed before 16 weeks. Some vets won't even do it until later.

aslan
October 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM
hey nope no debate here, your pup will be just fine. It's not true that it's better for them to have a litter. There are definately more pro's to having her fixed than there are cons. Enjoy your new family member.:thumbs up

totallyhip, what does your vet think is too early, are we talking weeks old. 6 mths is the recommended spay time.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I woudln't worry , I had many older fosters who were spayed / neutered when I got them.

Congratulation on the new adoption :thumbs up thanks for rescuing :cloud9:

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
totallyhip, what does your vet think is too early, are we talking weeks old. 6 mths is the recommended spay time.

before 4 - 6 months

ScottieDog
October 31st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Right now, my biggest fear is that she won't like me. I have only seen her picture--I think she is beautiful, but everyone considered her a throw-away. Even her own breed rescue refused her. I'm glad there was an organization that could look beyond what others saw as a physical defect.

Based on what I know of her circumstances, I am thinking that she doesn't have the best breeding. I didn't cause that, but I can do my best to give her the best life I can.

We recently lost our little rescue girl. I felt that to give a home to another dog in need is a good way to honor her memory.

I'm glad to hear that her later spay should not cause her health issues. I really don't think the original people who had her bred her--she has a very obvious physical abnormality that goes against her standard. Obviously, she should never have puppies--but that doesn't mean she can't give and receive love. Thanks for your responses.

Dog Dancer
October 31st, 2008, 03:33 PM
ScottieDog, so is your new girl a Scottie?? I'm sure you won't have any issues with spaying her at 2 years old, and I'm even more sure she's going to love you to bits no matter what!! It may take her a while to adjust, and it may appear at first that she's not very loving, but give her time and love and she's going to figure it out - you picking her was her lucky day. You know we're going to want pics... and we're going to love her to, no matter what her "deformity" is.

MommaKat
October 31st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Grats on your new family member, I hope we see pictures soon :D :laughing:

totallyhip
October 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Oh man she is gonna love you! I know that you love her already and she will feel the same way :thumbs up

kathryn
October 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
If she has no history of anything bad, I really wouldn't worry on it. Like I said, especially since she has not had any pups that's very good. Did she have any issues prior to the spay with masses on the stomach or pyometra or anything like that?

I'm sure she'll love you :lovestruck: I know alot of people who see dogs pictures on the internet and pick them out that way. It usually works out to be fine.

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2008, 09:11 PM
We have three girls that were spayed at about age 2. There is apparently a small increase in the incidence of mammary tumors with each heat before spay, but you'd be talking at most 3 heat cycles by age 2. It's not something we're particularly worried about in our girls. :shrug:

Your girl is very lucky that she's got you to worry about her and take care of her :cloud9: When do you get to pick her up?

rainbow
November 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
I agreee with Hazel and thank you for adopting another rescue. :thumbs up :grouphug:

Looking forward to your update :goodvibes: and pics of course. :D

ScottieDog
November 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Update: Very sad

Our adoption did not go through. This weekend, we drove over 900 miles to get her. We bought her a beautiful matching leash and collar. We made her a name tag with our address. We bought her cookies and took her a bag of toys.... Please know we went with the best intentions.

Yes, we wanted a Scottie. This is the breed that we have fallen in love with. I'm sorry if that is selfish, but we love the spirit and spunk. A little dog in a small package. We were told that she was a pure-bred Scottie--her "deformity" was that her legs were about twice as long as they should be. We were very OK with that. Her picture was lovely. We were told that she weighed about 25 pounds. (Breed standard is up to 22-23). Basically a Scottie with legs like a Schnauzer.

When we get there, they brought out a black dog that we weren't even sure was even the dog in the picture. She was the size of a 10-month-old lab they were showing to another family. We were told she was a pure Scottie, but she just kept growing. She did have some Scottie in her, but she had a huge amount of some type of spaniel or setter. They had tried to put her in a Scottie hair cut--but she was a 45 pound hunting dog mix. I tried to get her to do a "Scottie beg" for a treat and she stood up on her tip-toes and stretched her paws up and they went on my shoulder. We do not have a lifestyle that would be good for her--she needed lots of space to run and exercise. She was a really sweet dog. We spent a long time with her, but could not make a connection with her--she had none of the Scottie or terrier personality or spirit. We just could not make a 10-15 year commitment to her--it wasn't fair to us or to her. I also found out that she had been in the rescue for 4 weeks, not 8 like I was told. Her nipples were quite enlarged, so I wonder if she had been had puppies--if so and she was bred to a Scottie, one of her offspring could have been the dog in the photo. And yes, I feel the people at this rescue lied to us. We know Scotties and I don't know how this picture could have fooled us--I really don't even know if it was the same dog.

It was a both a physically and emotionally exhausting weekend. We are both sad and feel like the biggest jerks alive. Saying "I'm sorry" and walking away was very hard--even though it was for the best.

kathryn
November 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Wow.. I'm very sorry that happened to you :( Most TRUE rescues have the best of intentions and would never lie like that. Perhaps they adopted out the dog you had originally wanted, and were like oh crap, what do we do? And just did a bait and switch with you. That's so messed up.

I also find it very weird you had to drive to them. Usually the rescue group will send the dog(s) out on a transport to the general area of the potential adopter and do it that way.

I feel so bad for you :( But it's better that you said no to a dog you really had no connection with instead of just bringing her home and then really regretting it, and then what? Trying to return her?

I hope you continue to try to find a rescue dog to fit into your life :lovestruck: That rescue group was clearly mismanaged.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
What a story - that is nuts. You had to travel all that distance only to find out it was a lie?

Most rescues do not work this way. I hope that you find one that is upfront. That certainly was not fair to you.

Don't get discouraged - you will find your rescue. When one door closes, another opens. Hang in there.

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, ScottieDog--but best you're honest with yourself up front than that the dog ends up in a shelter somewhere after it doesn't work out. :grouphug: You're right--it has to be a good match on both sides for it to work out! And it doesn't sound like the dog was well-represented to you.

You'll find the right dog yet. Just keep looking. And it will be a very lucky dog when you finally find him or her! :dog: