Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can i use this!!! ????

babymomma
October 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hey everybody.. My mom and i just opened up a cocnut to make cookies with.. I saved the cocnut milk in a glass.. Can i rub this on keely's coat or is tht a bad idea?! Does it need to be oil extracted from the white part of the coconut, or what? :confused::confused: Her coat Seems to be kind of dry in the last few days, so i would love to know if it would work, also, if i can, do i wash it off after or just leave it in?

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Try giving her some fish oil capsules with her food. We do that every morning and we also give 1 vitamin E capsule (400 IU maximum daily) and it does wonders for their coat.

I think this will work better than the Coconut Milk.

babymomma
October 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Yea, i wouldnt mind doing that long term, But nobody wants the coconut milk so i thought since i have it there it was worth a shot :shrug:

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM
You know what is amazing? Is Coconut rice! You could use that and make some nice Thai curry to go with it.

YUMMY I'm getting hungry thinking about it :rolleyes:

krdahmer
October 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I buy light coconut milk in the winter to mix with my hot chocolate... give that a shot... tastes just like a mounds bar!

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I buy light coconut milk in the winter to mix with my hot chocolate... give that a shot... tastes just like a mounds bar!

Hmmmmm.....must remember to write down coconut milk on my grocery list. :cloud9:

pitgrrl
October 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hey everybody.. My mom and i just opened up a cocnut to make cookies with.. I saved the cocnut milk in a glass.. Can i rub this on keely's coat or is tht a bad idea?! Does it need to be oil extracted from the white part of the coconut, or what? :confused::confused: Her coat Seems to be kind of dry in the last few days, so i would love to know if it would work, also, if i can, do i wash it off after or just leave it in?

The thing about coat condition is that you want to work on it from the inside out, in other words, by feeding things like fish body oil rather than applying anything to the coat from the outside.

I would imagine that rubbing coconut milk on Keely's coat would probably just result in a sticky mess, a dog obsessed with licking it off and the need for a serious bath, which in turn would just further strip the natural oils on the fur, getting you no where. There are conditioners for dogs (Cloud Star makes a great one which I'm just going to admit right now works wonders on dry human hair (http://www.healthypetboutique.com/servlet/the-33/Cloud-Star-BUDDY-RINSE/Detail) :D ), but again, best to work on it through diet first.

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
pitgrrl is absolutely right! Inside out is the best method :thumbs up

I am getting some coconut milk and adding it to hot chocolate. That sounds wonderful! Never thought of that before :shrug:

babymomma
October 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys.. The fishoils, do you have to get these from the vets office of a grocery store?

MMMM coconut milk in hot chocolate!! :cloud9: I will definatly try this before bed!

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Wherever they sell vitamins. They are just human vitamin capsules. You can get them at health food stores. I don't go to the vets....they jack up the prices on everything :rolleyes: