Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

S.P.A. Canada

badger
October 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Has anyone heard of the Society for the Protection of Animals? They had a table set up downtown last week and at first I thought it was the SPCA. They had some literature on animal causes but nothing on their org except a business card. The 'National Headquarters' are in Ottawa and they are about 'promoting the respect of animals, humans, and the planet through education and lobbying'.
The inclusion of humans is a bit curious - so why aren't they the Society for the Protection of Animals and Humans?
Hmm. I'd really like to know who is funding this group.
A web search turned up nothing, a little odd these days, wouldn't you say?
Or am I just a suspicious old woman :laughing:.

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Interesting that you mention it. I came across their table during the Jazz fest. I signed all their petitions as they are the same that we see posted. Also, there are a little more of an activist approach...they do not believe in eating meat etc. etc.

I have heard of them - but I have no insight at all. Good question.

BMDLuver
October 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
They are not registered, crop up everywhere, have no proof that they are legitimate and were kicked out of another venue for misrepresentation as their documentation from other groups anyone could pick up at any pet food store.

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
They are not registered, crop up everywhere, have no proof that they are legitimate and were kicked out of another venue for misrepresentation as their documentation from other groups anyone could pick up at any pet food store.

Ok but they are passing on the message. The more people that are aware - the better. If the documentation is from other groups - then they are more credible. I personally don't have a problem with it as long as their petitions are being forwarded to the appropriate places.

badger
October 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Fair enough but I think misrepresentation is not too strong a word. The choice of name is obviously intended to confuse and although they solicit money, there is no information on what they do with it. How much does it cost to produce a simple brochure with their mission statement and some idea of their activities? Pennies.
I think it's a lobby group, period.

kiara
October 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
You are not a suspicious old woman, but a cautious one. Thanks for letting us know about this. There are a lot of kind hearted, true animal lovers out there that can easily be conned out of their money, by people using the idea of petitions, to help animals or people. Even their name sounds suspicious??? Unless this group is known and has a charity number, I would not give them any money!!! PUBLIC BEWARE Some time ago someone called me to collect for the war veterans. A Blackwatch group, I became suspicious that they were ready to pick up cash at my door and gave no receipts! I called them back not to come, since I changed my mind. I marked their name and number and called the R.C.M.P and they just brushed it off. I thought I was stopping a crime in progress!

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Canada is part of the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) .....is that the same thing?

http://www.wspa.ca/about.asp

badger
October 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Rainbow, I think if they were part of that group, they would say so; it has a track record, which would be very useful to them. The fact that 'humans' are included in their supposed mandate tells me everything I want to know.

rainbow
October 31st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Have you contacted the WSPA to let them know what is going on?