Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bunny Update

Luvmypitgirls
October 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Recently I posted how I was "found" by a stray bunny.
Well after much effort the owner has not been found.
We decided that keeping the bunny was not an option for us. We contacted a rescue that at one point said they would take the bunny, but then they told us they really couldn't help us due to lack of space and foster homes. That's fine, I understand, they are taking care of hundreds of animals, and recently had an influx of strays.
I called two different shelters, was informed by one that if they housed bunny, it would more than likely end up euthanized. The other doesn't have room for a bunny at this time.
Ok, to make a long story short, after being unsuccessful at finding other accomodation for this lil guy, we chalked it up to fate, meaning we are meant to have a bunny afterall.
So yesterday, to finalize our commitment to "Stewie" (named after Stewie from Family Guy, not a succulent winter dish), I went to the petstore and purchased him a beautiful new cage with all the accessories. So he has moved out of the small dog crate, into his new luxury digs! I also got him a "playpen" so he can excercise!
I'm still not fond of how messy he is, but I'll get over it. He won me over by giving me a "bunny kiss" yesterday. He licked my hand, it was sooo sweet.

Anyway now that we are "Bunny~parents", I will take pictures over the next couple days and post them. I would have done it already, but I have been extremely busy the past few days.

Chris21711
October 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Congrats LMPG on being a bunny mummy, Stewie is a commendable name for a Rabbit. Have you got a litter box for him, Daisy uses hers diligently and it really helps in keeping her pen clean. A chunk of crab apple branch is great for them to gnaw on to help keep their teeth trim and hay is a must, there is an enzyme in hay that also helps in keeping their teeth trim.

To clip her nails, one of us holds her in our arms on her back and trims away, anytime we have had to give her meds for anything, we also go about it the same way.

Can't wait to see pics :D

Luvmypitgirls
October 30th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Congrats LMPG on being a bunny mummy, Stewie is a commendable name for a Rabbit. Have you got a litter box for him, Daisy uses hers diligently and it really helps in keeping her pen clean. A chunk of crab apple branch is great for them to gnaw on to help keep their teeth trim and hay is a must, there is an enzyme in hay that also helps in keeping their teeth trim.

To clip her nails, one of us holds her in our arms on her back and trims away, anytime we have had to give her meds for anything, we also go about it the same way.

Can't wait to see pics :D

Thanks Chris. Yes I do have a litterbox for him, not that it makes much of a difference, he sleeps in it and poops everywhere else in his cage. This morning I caught him kicking the litter all over the place and during the night he chewed a big chunk of the litterbox!

I did get him hay, Timothy Hay it's called. Unfortunately because I have no idea how old he is, I'm not sure if it's the hay he should be eating, because the guy at the petstore said if he was a youngster he needs a different type of hay. I am assuming he's mature because he has quite the set of ":o"..well you know...on him. Like I've said before I have zero bun~bun knowledge.

I did get him chunks of applewood to chew on, and an edible log made of honey and alphalpha, which he hasn't touched yet.
And of course I also bought him a baggie of baby carrots.

Thank you for the tips, all the info I can get on bunny care is greatly appreciated. :)

Dracko
October 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Can't wait to see the bunny pictures. :thumbs up

I've often thought about getting a bunny but after cleaning up after 5 cats and a big dog not sure I'm in to cleaning up after another animal. :cool:

Melinda
October 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
you can get timothy hay and alph alpha hay in solid little blocks, good for their teeth to chew. being a male he may have strong urine odor,, you can also buy pads for under his shavings , absorbant pads, they are wonderful!!!!

kathryn
October 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Mwa hahahahah I knew you would end up keeping him :cool: Bunnies are awesome though.

Try feeding him some applesauce. My bun lovesss applesauce. My rabbit doesn't really eat hay or anything, I just feed him the regular grain and fruits+veggies. You can feed them alfalfa if you'd like.

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
You are an angel!:angel: What a lucky bunny to be found by you!

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
So yesterday, to finalize our commitment to "Stewie" (named after Stewie from Family Guy, not a succulent winter dish)

I'm so glad you clarified that for us :D and I love the name Stewie for a bunny. :cloud9:

Looking forward to the pics. :goodvibes:

Luvmypitgirls
October 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
you can get timothy hay and alph alpha hay in solid little blocks, good for their teeth to chew. being a male he may have strong urine odor,, you can also buy pads for under his shavings , absorbant pads, they are wonderful!!!!

OMG! Seriously! Do you know the brand name because I would definitely be into getting some of those!

Luvmypitgirls
October 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Mwa hahahahah I knew you would end up keeping him :cool: Bunnies are awesome though.

Mwa hahahahah.....yeah I'm keeping him because I'm a ...SUCKER:crazy:

Frenchy
October 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM
ahhh you're keeping the bunny ! I always wanted one cuz they're so cute !

I can't wait to see pics ! And we have many members here who have them so you can ask for advices if you need too ! :goodvibes:

I love the Stewie name :p

what color is he ?

Dracko
October 30th, 2008, 11:02 PM
That's why I could NEVER foster anything. There is no way I'd be able to give it up either.

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
A Bunny! :cloud9: I love bunnies! :lovestruck: Unfortunately, so does the Pack! :eek: So I'll have to enjoy yours through pics! :D Deal?

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 07:44 AM
An update with no pics :yell:, that's against the rules :D

Hehehe, you are such a softy :cloud9:.

Luvmypitgirls
October 31st, 2008, 09:24 AM
A Bunny! :cloud9: I love bunnies! :lovestruck: Unfortunately, so does the Pack! :eek: So I'll have to enjoy yours through pics! :D Deal?

Absolutely!:D

Luvmypitgirls
October 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM
An update with no pics :yell:, that's against the rules :D

Hehehe, you are such a softy :cloud9:.

Pics are coming:)

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM

Chris21711
October 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks Chris. Yes I do have a litterbox for him, not that it makes much of a difference, he sleeps in it and poops everywhere else in his cage. This morning I caught him kicking the litter all over the place and during the night he chewed a big chunk of the litterbox!

LMPG - I don't know how big his cage is but if it is big enough you can buy little igloos for them, it gives them a safe place and he may take to sleeping in that instead of his litter box. Daisy's pen has a bedroom built in that I can take the top off and clean out the straw, at night she goes in there and sometimes during the day.

breeze
October 31st, 2008, 10:13 AM

when????????????:D

Luvmypitgirls
November 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
when????????????:D

hopefully sometime today, had to charge the camera batteries, and I need to find out where hubby put the cord for me to link camera to puter....

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Aww, how great of you to keep this little guy. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. How are the girls handling his presence?

Luvmypitgirls
November 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Aww, how great of you to keep this little guy. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. How are the girls handling his presence?

Ancient, it's really quite surprising to me how readily the Pitgirls accepted Stewie. They give him gentle kisses, they try to nuzzle with him when I'm holding him.
My Rotti is quite smitten by him too. Several times a day I catch the dogs sitting by his cage just watching him.
Abby, seems to be the most interested in Stewie tho, I catch her sleeping or laying by his cage and if the other dogs come in she will sometimes run them off, like she is protecting her bunny from some impending doom.

I have pics to post, still looking for my USB cord tho.:fingerscr that we find it.

Luvmypitgirls
November 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Can someone plz tell me...Do bunnies play with toys? If they do what kind of toys should I buy a rabbit?

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Ancient, it's really quite surprising to me how readily the Pitgirls accepted Stewie. They give him gentle kisses, they try to nuzzle with him when I'm holding him.
My Rotti is quite smitten by him too. Several times a day I catch the dogs sitting by his cage just watching him.
Abby, seems to be the most interested in Stewie tho, I catch her sleeping or laying by his cage and if the other dogs come in she will sometimes run them off, like she is protecting her bunny from some impending doom.

I have pics to post, still looking for my USB cord tho.:fingerscr that we find it.

Oh that's too cute.:lovestruck:

Frenchy
November 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Oh that's too cute.:lovestruck:

yes it is :cloud9:

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
yes it is :cloud9:

I agree too :thumbs up ....hurry up with the pics. :D

rainbow
November 3rd, 2008, 02:36 AM
Can someone plz tell me...Do bunnies play with toys? If they do what kind of toys should I buy a rabbit?

Here's some ideas....

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rabbits/a/rabbittoys.htm

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/toys.shtml

Melinda
November 3rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
OMG! Seriously! Do you know the brand name because I would definitely be into getting some of those!

I buy them at pet value, the brand name is Kaytee "Natural timothy cubes" its a deep green package, I have seen them at other stores though.

Melinda
November 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
mine use to love playing with those rolling bird toys, and with my babies rattles, she'd grab it and give it a good shake *L*

kathryn
November 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM

Yeah they play fetch buy him a ball......

...just kidding lol just give the bun some stuff to chew on rabbits don't really play with toys other then picking stuff up and throwing it around.:cool:

Chris21711
November 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM

Daisy has one of the bird toys that Melinda mentioned, it is a small cage like ball with a bell inside, she throws it around every now and again. She also has a little stuffie that she bats around, not as much though.

Besides her regular food of pellets and hay, I give her the rest separately rather than all at once. e.g. carrots, little while later spinach, little while later ....to break her boredom.

Luvmypitgirls
November 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I posted pics of Stewie in the Pet Photography Forum!:D