Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Correct timing for fostering - help~

Kai'smom
October 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hi All
Need your expertise here. African Tails have asked me to foster for a couple fo weeks. They have almost 15 puppies they need homes for till they get adopted. As you know i have the new pup "freedom".
She is skittish, submissive and afraid. Once she is with me she is fine, but doesnt leave my side for a second.
I would really like to help the group, however i need to know if its too soon. Will she be okay if i bring in say another 3 puppies for a couple of weeks. I dont want to set her back by bringing in a dominant pup or make her feel pushed out. We are working really hard at showing her she can trust us, and not fussing when she gets submissive, just ignoring it and giving lots of praise when he stays on all fours.
I dont want to do something i will kick myself for later just by not hanging on a few months.
Or, am i just being silly?
Whats your thoughts.
Oh and just to make it even harder - here are pics of a few of the foster pups. :cloud9:43567

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 08:26 AM
You are an angel for even considering this. Thank you so very much for entertaining the idea.

Well, if your pup is lacking a little in confidence, then taking another will help your baby. But - another puppy is a huge responsibility (double the trouble). Personally I would take another puppy but (and it is a big but) I would only take one..no more than that. Your sanity depends on it.

Good luck with your decision. Follow your heart but this is a huge responsibility and commitment.

NoahGrey
October 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I agree. Puppie stages are the most cruchel(sp) They need socialization with other puppies. They need to learn how to play., roughhouse This time of stage is where a puppy learns his role..submissive, dominant, etc.

I would say bring one more puppy into your home. The puppy will beneifit from it.

ACO22

Kai'smom
October 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I would only be fostering for a few weeks, its not a permanent arrangement. These pups seem to be getting homed quite quickly, so they are pushing me to take quite a few!

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I would only be fostering for a few weeks, its not a permanent arrangement. These pups seem to be getting homed quite quickly, so they are pushing me to take quite a few!

Don't take a few - far too much work for you. As ACO22 said, another pup will benefit yours. Even if it is for a short while - it will go miles.

Don't let them pressure you period. Do what is right for YOU!

Chris21711
October 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It is real nice of you Kai'smom for you to consider fostering pups so soon after your recent loss of Kai :sad:

Since the foster time should be short and your new pup will surely benefit from the interaction and if you are feeling up to it, you would be doing a great service.

Some members have mentioned to take only one pup, but you are the best judge, you know your situation and what you are capable of and if you think that 2 or 3 is manageable for you, then go for it :thumbs up

fosterpat
October 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Actually, depending on the age of the puppies, by experience, it's sometimes easier on you if you take 2 at a time. They sleep their nights and tend to keep each other busy and do usually sleep a lot. If they are past 10 weeks old, then yes, only take 1....at this age, housebreaking and socialization takes up a lot of your time and will take away from your own dog.

totallyhip
October 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I agree that you should take in a foster. Personally I would only take 1 foster in. But that's me (and we already have 3 of our own!!!) LOL

As long as you are the pack leader and they know your in charge it could be a very good experience for your pup.

Thank you for considering to foster. Its such an amazing thing to do for an animal.

Dog Dancer
October 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Kai'smom you are so kind to be thinking of this. I agree that another puppy may really help Freedom (love the name) to become more secure. I also agree 2 or 3 more puppies may be a very big challenge. But as was said, if you feel you can do it, then more power to you. Would the rescue let you return the puppies to them if you felt it was detrimental to Freedom having them there? I would ask them that. Then if you see that they are too hard on her you could politely withdraw.

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Kai'smom you are so kind to be thinking of this. I agree that another puppy may really help Freedom (love the name) to become more secure. I also agree 2 or 3 more puppies may be a very big challenge. But as was said, if you feel you can do it, then more power to you. Would the rescue let you return the puppies to them if you felt it was detrimental to Freedom having them there? I would ask them that. Then if you see that they are too hard on her you could politely withdraw.

Nice DD - good advice.

14+kitties
October 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Wow! Kai sure is doing a great job!! Leading you not only to Freedom but to a whole new purpose in life! Amazing!!!! :thumbs up I love Freedom for a name too! Full of meaning and so sweet.
I can't tell you how many pups to take on. You are the one living it. You will know what you are capable of handling. I do think it is the best thing for Freedom. It will give her some socialization skills that she may not get any other way. It's hard for us to play with pups the way littermates or other pups would.
All I can say is ...... :thankyou: so much for even considering taking on more pups. :thumbs up And Kai - Thank you sweetie for showing mom the way to go. :candle:

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I agree with Chris and 14+kitties .....only you know how many pups you can handle. And bless you for opening up your heart and home. :angel: :grouphug:

BenMax
October 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Absolutely take as many as you are able. But I will say the following (don't get mad everyone)....if your pup is slightly shy, then too many puppies may overwhelm her. That is why I 'suggest' to not take too many on. I understand everyone saying to take what you can, but also consider your pup and what she can handle as well. Just my :2cents:.

totallyhip
October 31st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Absolutely take as many as you are able. But I will say the following (don't get mad everyone)....if your pup is slightly shy, then too many puppies may overwhelm her. That is why I 'suggest' to not take too many on. I understand everyone saying to take what you can, but also consider your pup and what she can handle as well. Just my :2cents:.

Thats a good point. Sometimes dogs tend to gang up on another more shy one.

Kai'smom
November 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the awesome advice. I have put my name down for next week. They are getting at least a litter a week, so i am expecting a revolving door of puppies. I am having a gate built at the steps to the pool, as i am worried about them falling in. Kai could swim like a fish, since he was huge at 8 weeks but these guys are so little, so for my peace of mind its worth it. In for a penny in for a pound!
Freedom is settling in nicely, still very shy and if i shout at the boys for leaving their stuff all over the place, she turns tail and hides behind the bush in the back garden. Ive just ignored it and carry on as usual and make a fuss of her when she comes back in after 10 mins or so. I dont want to make to big a deal of her skittishness and try and chase her all over the place - it just makes her freak out more. Im trying just to be consistent, loving and a strict routine, so eventually she will trust us and know even if im screaming my lungs out at the kids, nothing will happen to her! Sound like a fishwife!:D
Freedom is also a special name here in South Africa, due to the fact that Nelson Mandela called his journey getting out of prison - The long Walk to Freedom, as im sure you know his release not only gave him freedom but to 30 million south africans as they won equal rights through him. Freedom is from one of the many squatter camps here in SA which are a legacy from our apartheid era, where things are still really bad and poverty stricken.
My father of course is a scotsman and thinks she is named in honour of William Wallace in Braveheart - his battle cry was FREEEEDOOOMM!!!!
I will keep you updated and lots of pics of course.
We have decided on 2 at a time unless they are absolutely desperate.
They do push to try and home 2 that have bonded together to the same person. But i dont want to twist anyone's arm, as they will only regret it later, and in turn the dog will pay the price.
I miss Kai still so much, that fur was just the best place to bury your face in, when I was needing a cuddle and he would stay still for me as long as needed.

clm
November 3rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Can't wait to see all the pics of your fosters. It'll be good for Freedoms socialization too I would think. I wonder if you might end up with a foster failure, aka a brother or sister for Freedom out of this. :laughing:

Cindy