Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

not to sure if this is ok to post!!!!

the gang
October 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
i read in the hudson gazette today!!!!! rosies needs some big time help!!!!, brenda and the pins.

Frenchy
October 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Brenda , you posted too fast , where's the article ? :laughing:

aslan
October 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
here frenchy

VAUDREUIL-DORION * Rosie Animal Adoption is on the brink of closure due to a unprecedented lack of funds.
The adoption service has become a west island mainstay since its creation in 2001, saving hundreds of dogs from euthanasia, abuse and neglect.
The service recently took on several severely ill dogs that require extensive veterinary care and some surgery. Expenses rose at an exponential rate.
"Our adoption fees are just not paying our medical expenses any more," said Rosie Adoption founder Anne Doré.
Veterinarian expenses run in excess of $5,000 a month, far exceeding the $300 adoption fee for dogs.
Adoption numbers have been down for the past several months.
Most of the volunteers act as foster parents for dogs waiting for an adoptive owner. Rosie consequently has a shortage of fundraising volunteers and is weeks away from closure.
"Today if we got a very sick dog, we would not be able to treat him," Doré said. "We cannot take any more dogs in at the moment."
Some 200 dogs are fostered a year, and their lives are often saved.
Eight-month old Tommy, a black lab mix, was brought to the adoption service with severe anemia.
Tommy was weaned off his medication and is now in the care of Vaudreuil-Dorion resident and Rosie foster coordinator Sam Mountain.
"He probably still wouldn't be alive today," Mountain said.

Frenchy
October 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM
omg no :sad: this can't be :sad:

Anne is the one who called me about Sam being hours away from euthanasia , I am forever grateful to her. They also took Lilly , the black lab I found 2 years ago and found her a great family. I so wish I could donate but my situation doesn't allow me to :sad:

This rescue take out dogs from high kill shelters , they literally save dogs right before euthanasia. If they can't continue , there will be so much more dogs who will die in shelters just because there isn't enough room / fonds to keep them :sad:

omg I can't believe this. :sad:

diandpat
October 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
This just about breaks my heart. They have worked soooo hard for sooo long and absolutely DO take the last chance dogs out of a horrid pound and give them a second chance.

This is the rescue they were raising funds for at the Pasta Lunch a couple of weekends ago. So many people there had adopted from Rosie's and were so happy and felt so blessed to have their dogs.

I hope there is going to be some way for them to continue there very important work.

I anyone would like to check out their website it is:

www.rosieanimaladoption.org

I wish them all the best. :fingerscr

the gang
October 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
i just sent a email, to see if there is something i can do, i have lots of toys for a garage sale,, but late in the yr i know , but would love to help!!!!, and foster is a no--- go for me!!!! foster to me is keep lol, and with 5 pins i have my hands full, but in any other way i would like to help!!! brenda and the pins..

Diamondsmum
October 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
This just breaks my heart.. They need a company a large company to Donate. My friend is currently working on getting a company to for-go turkey vouchers for there employees or whatever it is they give for X-mas. to instead donate it to a Shelter.

The emplyees have agreed & the process will begin soon.

I wonder if this idea can be used for Rosies esp if bosses are pet lovers?

Frenchy
October 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Anne knows I can foster for them anytime , but the thing is I can't make the adoption clinics. But I think right know , it's money they need and fast.

aslan said they could contact Lotto Quebec as they donate to non profit organizations , I will e-mail Anne about that and will also e-mail Lotto Quebec.

Rottielover
October 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
wow, had no clue, I just bumped into Anne a couple weeks ago :(

they spelt her last name wrong, it is Dube, LOL

I really hope they can work something, they are an amazing group

the gang
October 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
thanks rottie lover just sent anne a email, hope i can help brenda and the pins

fosterpat
October 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Rosie is not facing bankrupcy...they do have money to pay their bills. They just do not have any money coming in.
Unfortunately, we've had so many dogs with medical problems...and not enough dogs being adopted, that funds just ran out!
Fundraisers are a good idea. But the problem is that we have no one to organize the fundraisers. Most of our volunteers foster dogs, like myself (because I have 3 kids), so there is a shortage of people for all the other activities.
The article in the paper will hopefully help out and possibly get in more funds to continue to save more dogs, like everyone as done in the past.
If anyone thinks of anything to help out...please pass it our way, all help will certainly be appreciated.

aslan
October 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
fosterpat as frenchy mentioned, the lottery and gaming commissions have funds that are donated to non-profit organizations like rosies, usually in the several thousands of dollars.

Frenchy
October 29th, 2008, 09:40 PM
If anyone thinks of anything to help out...please pass it our way, all help will certainly be appreciated.

I am writing to Lotto Quebec as we speak .... aslan thought of that , and I did just read on their website that they help lots of organizations. :fingerscr

CClover
October 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I wish I could do something.
I went on the website and recognize some of the dogs I took care of at the SPCA.
I also think that Oscar and Honey are chinese crested mix

KarenC
October 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I could not take in any animals(having 5 already) but I certainly could help out with events...I will e-mail them. Now that you all have me addicted to rescuing...lol

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Rosie is not facing bankrupcy...they do have money to pay their bills. They just do not have any money coming in.
Unfortunately, we've had so many dogs with medical problems...and not enough dogs being adopted, that funds just ran out!
Fundraisers are a good idea. But the problem is that we have no one to organize the fundraisers. Most of our volunteers foster dogs, like myself (because I have 3 kids), so there is a shortage of people for all the other activities.
The article in the paper will hopefully help out and possibly get in more funds to continue to save more dogs, like everyone as done in the past.

Sorry - but I am very confused. The article says that they are facing closure and you are saying they are lacking in funding. There is a huge difference here. Are they facing bankruptcy or not?

fosterpat
October 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Not to be repeat myself, but Rosie is not facing bankrupcy. Bankrupsy, is when you cannot repay your credators...huge difference. The reporter unfortunately misquoted our director. What they are having problems in, is funding new funds. They are not lacking funds to pay all their present bills...but cannot take in any more dogs, because they will not be able to pay for their medical expenses.
As most know (or do not), medical expenses are a huge part of Rescues..especially ones like Rosie's, who rescue dogs and then do what is needed to get them physically and mentally ready for adoption. Expenses could included, vet care, special diets, meds, travel expenses (have been very high) and any equipment that is necessary for certain dogs...ie, baby bottles, formula...etc.
If you take the dogs I have right now, 2 pups and mom. Not yet vaccinated, nor spayed, but came in with kennel cough...been here almost since birth. Expenses so far, are over $750.00 dollars..remember not yet vaccinated, nor spayed/neutered. Adoption fees will be $300.00 each.....not enough to cover all their expenses. These expenses are no where close to some of the other dogs that Rosie has taken in this year.
Rosie has not been able to find people to take over the fundraising part of the rescue....so the same people are doing everything..kind of easy to start burning out.
Basically, they need funds to keep going and help with fundraising activities.

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Not to be repeat myself, but Rosie is not facing bankrupcy. Bankrupsy, is when you cannot repay your credators...huge difference. The reporter unfortunately misquoted our director. What they are having problems in, is funding new funds. They are not lacking funds to pay all their present bills...but cannot take in any more dogs, because they will not be able to pay for their medical expenses.
As most know (or do not), medical expenses are a huge part of Rescues..especially ones like Rosie's, who rescue dogs and then do what is needed to get them physically and mentally ready for adoption. Expenses could included, vet care, special diets, meds, travel expenses (have been very high) and any equipment that is necessary for certain dogs...ie, baby bottles, formula...etc.
If you take the dogs I have right now, 2 pups and mom. Not yet vaccinated, nor spayed, but came in with kennel cough...been here almost since birth. Expenses so far, are over $750.00 dollars..remember not yet vaccinated, nor spayed/neutered. Adoption fees will be $300.00 each.....not enough to cover all their expenses. These expenses are no where close to some of the other dogs that Rosie has taken in this year.
Rosie has not been able to find people to take over the fundraising part of the rescue....so the same people are doing everything..kind of easy to start burning out.
Basically, they need funds to keep going and help with fundraising activities.

Thanks for the clarification. We do not have enough rescues to see one go under. I feel much more at ease.

fosterpat
October 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Well, unfortunately, that part the reporter did get right. If Rosie cannot find funds, then yes, they will not continue.
Rosie's priority in saving dogs, are dogs on death row and puppy mill dogs. Home surrenders come last. If Rosie could not take them, then it was arranged to send them to Ontario. Huge number have been sent there this year.
So all of these dogs (or almost all) need physicals, vaccinations, spay/neuter. If healthy all goes well, if not, then that is what we are seeing now. Lots of dogs come in with kennel cough and other diseases contracted through the pounds/mills that they where in. Kennel cough is easily treated, but still the extra expenses are there and some do not make it....but we still have to pay the bills.
The reality of living in Quebec is hitting a lot of rescues, not just ours. No laws....and people just dumping dogs, like they dump their old couch and get new ones! This is what people who are trying to save the dogs are faced with and it's not getting any easier!!

BenMax
October 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I hear you. Hopefully she will get more volunteers to assist with the fundraising. I sincerely hope that she gets what she needs. I know how difficult this is. This year for whatever reason, the abandon rate is high. We not only get dogs but cats as well..so you can well imagine.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I do not want to see Rosie stop either. I did not heard back from lotto Quebec , but will keep bugging them. :fingerscr