Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thinking About Buying A Dog

Amzzz
July 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM
Hello there!

In my attempt to visit different sites today and get a better grasp on what kind of dog I would like, I stumbled across this site. I am a 22 year old, living in London Ontario. I have been living on my own for about a year and would love to get a companion. I just fear the cost of vets bills, are they really that much?

I live in a one bedroom appartment and on the 7th floor, so I don't want a big dog at all. I was thinking either a chiuawa (sp?) or a Brussels Griffen. I was wondering if anyone here had either dog breed and could give me some pointers or anything about how either of these dogs would fit into my kinda life style.

Thanks, Amy

Freyja
July 22nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Have you ever had a dog before?

Amzzz
July 22nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
No never a dog of MY OWN! But when I lived at home a year ago, we had a family dog that I looked after quite a bit. He is a 4 year old yellow lab.

sammiec
July 22nd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Are you a student in London?
Do you have a full time job that takes you away from home for long periods of time?
What is your activity level like? Active, or non-existant?
Long of short haired dog? etc. etc.
There are plenty of different things that need to be considered. I knew I really wanted a dog, but I waited for 2 years before I decided that I was ready for the commitment. It's like having a kid I guess - it's long term, for the rest of their lives....

Amzzz
July 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Well I currently work parttime and my boyfriend works fulltime, but the hours are never the same. I work most nights and he works days. So there is no question about someone being home with the dog. Also we are very active people and get outside 3 days a week for runs, and a lot of walks as well.

I guess the main concern is the cost of having a small dog, I don't know what would be a good estimation for a yearly cost of having a dog?? ANy suggestions??

We basically know we want one, just don't know how much to expect cost wise???

Thanks Amy

Freyja
July 22nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
In my ever so humble opinion, I wouldn't do it. I have just adopted a dog, I live in a house in suburbia. Dogs are A LOT OF WORK!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough. Big decision, like having kids, moving to Dubai, changing professions. May be great in the end but A LOT OF WORK (oh sorry did I say that already ;)

Goldenmom
July 22nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
You need to check some rescue groups and the Humane society in your area. A dog that is more mature (over the age of 1) will already be spayed/neutered, which is a big expense. If money is an issue, I would find a smaller-med sized dog, as the large breed dogs obviously eat more. You are active, so you want a dog that can keep up with you and enjoy the exercise. No dog comes with health guarantees, so you need to think about vet fees if/when your dog does get sick or needs medical attention.

I think a mixed breed dog maybe perfect for you.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Freyja
July 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Plus!!! Dogs live a long time. When I got my cats I was living in an apartment, working part time. I was 21 years old. My one cat died right before my second child was born (I was 30), the other cat died last year. I moved 5 times, went to university, got married, had two kids, went to midwifery school, got divorced, lost my dad, bought 3 cars, bought a house, went to Cuba, Mexico, Tofino, all during this time.

Amzzz
July 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
So Freyja your telling me, you regret getting a dog??

Goldenmom
July 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
In my ever so humble opinion, I wouldn't do it. I have just adopted a dog, I live in a house in suburbia. Dogs are A LOT OF WORK!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough. Big decision, like having kids, moving to Dubai, changing professions. May be great in the end but A LOT OF WORK (oh sorry did I say that already ;)

Sorry, I disagree. I don't see anything in this persons post that indicates they shouldn't have a dog. There are so many dogs in shelters and rescue places looking for a decent, good home. Dogs are very therapeutic and loving.

If someone can have one and feel ready, go for it! If you really feel you can't afford one, then its not fair to get one, simple as that. Animals are no different than children, you need to seek medical attention when needed.

Heather

Freyja
July 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
All I am really saying is to to think long and hard about it. About the practicalities. Yes, I am having serious doubts about my choice!! I have been clear about this in other posts. Yes there are thousands upon thousands of animals needing homes and there are millions of animals euthanized every year. People need pets as much as pets need people. I am sure you ALL would agree with me that it is a big decision and one that needs to be made with all of the information.

Lucky Rescue
July 22nd, 2004, 03:18 PM
I see you are worried about vet costs. These can be anything from just annual heartworm meds to surgery that can cost thousands of dollars. Accidents can happen, as can health issues which could be very costly. My own dog cost me nearly 1200$ in the first month after I got her.

You might get the healthiest dog in the world who might swallow a foreign object that needs surgical removal. You just never know.

Food, toys, leashes, collars, beds, treats and a crate are just basic items but they really add up over a possible 15 year life of a dog.

Since you are in an apartment, you might want a dog who is already housetrained, and is more on the quiet side. Many small dogs can be very barky, and Chihuahuas will not be going on any runs with you, unless you put him in a backpack. :D

If you really want to buy a purebred, be very careful who you get it from. Badly bred dogs can have a variety of health issues and that means $$$

Since you are so active, you might want a larger dog who will be quieter in the home.

Goldenmom
July 22nd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Of course its a huge decision. Really huge! This dog will by your responsibility for the rest of its living life. Absolutely. I just don't like to "discourage" people about owning a dog. I think that this person is asking all the right questions and going about it the right way. All opinions and suggestions here benefit their choice in the end.

Heather

sammiec
July 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
A friend of mine (actually living in London!!) Got a Boston Terrier, she lives in an apartment - she's not very active though; so I'm not sure about running with these dogs. She said it's fairly low maintence and very fun!!!

Boston Terrier Rescue: James McLean at 416-469-5010; ruckous@idirect.com

http://www.bostonterrierclubofcanada.com/btcc_rescue.htm

Sorry, can't find anything really close to London. The first is a rescue in the Toronto area, the second is information...

sammiec
July 22nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
Here's a couple places to look for any breed of dog in and around London!! Best of luck!!!

http://www.animalert.ca/

http://www.freewebs.com/arfontario/

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON89.html

heidiho
July 22nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
I just saw a show on boston terriers,they said they are great companions,very loveable and do great in apts..........

Lucky Rescue
July 22nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
they are great companions,very loveable and do great in apts..........

Yes, they are wonderful!:) But like all flat faced dogs, they are very intolerant of heat and wouldn't make good running partners.

heidiho
July 22nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
oh!!! Hard to find a perfect combo,actually would be a great dog for me,but my heart is set on another gsd someday

Amzzz
July 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I know I want a dog and am ready for that kind of responsibility, and so is my boyfriend. We just want to be fully prepared for when we do get one.

Thanks again to everyone..you have been a great help!!

Amy

lenka_f
July 22nd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Beagle is a very nice breed. They are short hare, fun and smart . They may be vocal though.