Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Snowstorm ( in October!!?!)

ownedbycats
October 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I just had to tell someone about this( who doesn't live here). If you don't live in southern Ontario, you may not even have heard, but London just got covered in 40-60 centimetres of snow. (for the Americans that's between 1 1/2 to two feet of snow!) and its only October! I wish I had pictures, but maybe some of the newspapers will have some tomorrow. It was amazing!. for one thing most of the trees still have their fall leaves so the trees were red, orange, yellow, and green, with snow on top. because the deciduous trees still had their leaves, and the snow was heavy wet snow, it was too heavy for most of the trees. There were trees with huge limbs missing, trees bent right over touching the ground, and others split right down the middle by the sheer weight of the snow. I'm not talking about small sapling size trees either. These trees were 30, 40, or more years old. :eek: Actually the youngest trees did best. they wer flexible enough to mostly bend without breaking. the older the tree the more damage to it and its surroundings. All night you could hear the trees creaking, groaning, and the snapping (also crash as the branches came off). They crashed onto houses cars and powerlines all over the city. Some schools were even closed due to power outages caused by the storm. This would have been spectacular to see even if it was the middle of winter, but it isn't even November yet! If the rest of the winter is anything like this its going to be a rough winter. ( as I type this, even though the sun is shinign we are still getting the odd heavy snow flurry.)

Love4himies
October 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
What I woke up to this morning in the Gananoque region:

Love4himies
October 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
We have the foot of snow they were predicting :sad:

bendyfoot
October 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hey that looks like my backyard!!! Yep, we got it here too. Jaida thought she died and went to heaven (HUGE snow-lover) and we got to experience the joy of first-snow puppy zoomies. :D:lovestruck: Heidi went out to pee, put one foot down, and started highstepping and looking at her feet. Then she tried to attack/eat the snow, then the butt-tucks started and she and the other girls ripped around the yard until their moms got cold and called them back in :D:lovestruck:

dogcatharmony
October 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM
:eek: I am up north and we don't have a smidgen of snow. Mind you just a few miles from me it has been snowing since the beginning of Oct.

Those are beautiful pics though, mind you poor kitty does not look impressed.

clm
October 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Nice pics L4H, it does look very pretty.....even nicer since we didn't get any snow at my house. :p
East side of the Toronto area got a dusting this morning and the people at work who live north of the city came in with snow on their cars.

Cindy

MARIAWINTERS
October 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM
What a beautiful area you live in. Yes, we are in for a very rough winter according to the almanac. Here in the Midwest we get it too - we seem to be in the path of that Northern area you reside in and the weather seems to follow right to us. I hope this one doesn't come our way. Our trees are just starting to turn, grass is still green, we had snow flurries the other day though.

Melinda
October 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
yep, we got it here also, looks like pics of my area, we didn't get a foot though, not sure how much but we also have schools closed because of power outages and residents were promised it would be restored by 6 pm today, it was actually fun playing out in it with Brina last night, as Bendyfoot says "zoomies" my lab sure loves her snow

KarenC
October 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
It was snowing like crazy here last night but it left just a sprinkle this morning on the grass etc.. Roads are dry.

BenMax
October 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
It was snowing like crazy here last night but it left just a sprinkle this morning on the grass etc.. Roads are dry.

I am on the south shore but no snow there. I was facinated how many cars had snow on them while in traffic....ridiculous.

KarenC
October 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Strange! I was out in St. Lazare delivering a kitten and I could barely see a thing~!

NoahGrey
October 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I heard that we are going to have a rough rough winter. Where i live, no snow..just a few flurries. However it did tip to -10 with the windchill last night and some rain mixed with wet snow.

This morning on the 401, there was a 20 car pile up..due to black ice.

ACO22

Spatx
October 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe I should listen to the news more often... I was shocked this morning to wake up to snow.

I haven't raked the yard or put my agility equipment away yet. Was waiting for a dry day :rolleyes: (Like that is going to happen anytime soon?)

Today was Nova's first taste of snow... she went insane with zoomies. I got some interesting pictures of her :laughing:

Zoomies

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2984061211_9c25500480.jpg

I'll be posting more soon in a new thread once they finish uploading :D

Dog Dancer
October 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Well I'm not complaining about not having snow here. In BC people just can't cope. It doesn't help that Vancouver only has like 14 snow plows for the whole world... and at that only enough staff ever on hand to run half of them. It's nuts. But my girls love love love the snow too. When it snows we have a ball. Heck at 11 years old Shadow gets the zoomies when it just gets cold (the Akita in her loves the cold).

glasslass
October 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Great picture of Nova! I love the way the front legs can't keep up with the back ones!

14+kitties
October 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
No snow here but my two youngest live in London. :eek: Guess I will be making a couple of calls when they get home from work.
IT'S TOO EARLY FOR SNOW!!!!!!!!!!! :yell:

hazelrunpack
October 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Never too early for snow, 14+! :cloud9:

Anyone who wants to get rid of their snow, please contact hazel! :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
October 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
No snow here in the Calgary region, yet.

Love the winter pics.

I'm hoping it will snow out here just before Christmas, nothing worse than a Christmas without snow, which seems to happen a lot out here:sad:

Love4himies
October 31st, 2008, 09:42 AM
No snow here in the Calgary region, yet.

Love the winter pics.

I'm hoping it will snow out here just before Christmas, nothing worse than a Christmas without snow, which seems to happen a lot out here:sad:

Heard you have been having a bit of a warm spell out west.