Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats with dry skin

Cassiebaby
October 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hello,
I was wondering about pets who have dry skin. One of my cats has a very flaky back and one other cat has a patch of hair that is very thin. Is this from dry skin. I have a dogs as well who has been itchy but vet said she has alleries. If it is dry skin what could anyone reccomend. I heard fish oil in their diets help (Salmon probably the best) If this is maybe what I should try, how do I give it to them. Can you buy just salmon oil and mix in their food or a capsule. I have three cats all together and they all eat dry food. I have also heard that feeding them wet food might help but one of them does not digest it so well but would love it so we just feed them all the dry food. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should try.

Thanks,
Cassiebaby

14+kitties
October 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
What kind of dry food? Is it a good quality, grain free, wheat gluten free one? The dog's food too? The allergies may be from the food.
What canned foods have you tried? Wellness, Innova Evo, Eagle Pack, there are a few more I can't think of right now, are all good choices. A slow, steady switch to a good quality canned food or at least a healthy dry food will probably improve the skin issues.
Our food gurus will be along soon and give you lots more good ideas. :thumbs up

krdahmer
October 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I've been using extra virgin coconut oil for my cats, and the two woth skin problems are improving and the others have amazing coats! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
October 29th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Wellness, Nature's Variety, Innova , Evo, Merricks, Eagle Pack Holistic Select, Fromm's are all excellent canned food choices. You want to look for grain free high quality food not found in the grocery or large pet supply chain store, the smaller specialty supply stores have the better quality foods.

A few drops of pure Salmon oil in the food for both cats & dogs will help with the dry skin but it sounds like you may be dealing with poor quality food or an allergy.

If you can switch to canned from dry they will get more moisture in their food which will also help w/the skin/coat condition.

Is the air in your house very dry?
Do you use heavily scented laundry soap, fabric softener? This could also be causing an allergic reaction

bendyfoot
October 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Before I switched our pets to Orijen dry food, our senior kitty ALWAYS had dandruff/dry skin...now I've not seen so much as a single flake, all the animals have gorgeous shiny coats!