Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catnip Questions

MommaKat
October 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I know these are probably some silly questions, but I actually never bothered with Catnip before. I use to occasionally buy the "contains catnip" toys but they never really liked them. I recently discovered that Felix actually likes it. A clerk gave me a sample of the dried stuff and he rolled all over it.

I did research on growing Catnip but I do not have the space indoors or out to do it. What I'm wondering is there a difference in types of dried catnip you buy at the store? or are the brands all the same (I would like to get him the good stuff :lovestruck: ) . Also, I have read that Cat's don't "over-dose", they are pretty good to know when they have had enough. Is that true?

badger
October 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have to keep my stash in the fridge, otherwise the cats would find it and scoff the lot :laughing: I have known the odd cat who goes completely and even dangerously berserk on the stuff. And a couple who take no interest at all :shrug:
The catnip you buy in small plastic bags or containers is generally the freshest; the toys take longer to reach the shelves (all the way from China ;)) If you have a scrap of sturdy cotton or felt or really anything sturdy, you can make your own little bags with maybe a tablespoon of catnip in each one. Pretty soon you will start finding them abandoned all over the house, sopping wet from cat spit and evicerated of their contents. Mine like theirs 'aged' :laughing:

babymomma
October 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
No advice.. But.. What is catnip? I thought it was another name for cat food :shrug:

Masha
October 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
No advice.. But.. What is catnip? I thought it was another name for cat food :shrug:

Catnip is type of plant that most cats go crazy for :) mine gets all 'let me rub all over that mouse (the mouse is stuffed with catnip leaves) and drool all over it, then let me bite it and and peddle it with my back feet' quite entertaining to watch :D

dogcatharmony
October 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Oh the joys of catnip. I use to by just a ground up cheap blend until I found the actual dried stuff....you can buy it in a bouquet and it's the whole catnip stem and all. My guy when bonkers on that. So I found another ground up kind that is only flowers and leaves ( I can't tell you the name because somefuzzy chewed the name off the bags of nip and left holes in all the bags, but I have to go to the pet place tomorrow...this is some good stuff)

Some cats eat it, some just roll. My one cat would eat the whole bag where my other cat just needs to smell the bag or finger that pinched the nip and she gets stupid.

Badger, have you ever stepped on one of those spit soaked catnip bags in the middle of the night?? Or found one nestled in bed with you......:eek:

badger
October 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Oh yeah. And my feet are so exquisitely sensitive, I know immediately if it's a catnip bag or a hairball. Either way, back to bed.

MommaKat
October 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
LOL very helpful, thanks Badger and dogcatharmony. I think I may make toys for them with it (once I find a good kind) :lightbulb: I would love to do something to make Felix happy, he does not demand as much attention as the other 2, he's just so mellow and easy going :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Frenchy
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I have to keep my stash in the fridge,

Mine too , I can say it caused confusion once :frustrated:

It's pot for cat http://bestsmileys.com/peace/1.gif

:D

Winston
October 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Funny you should bring this thread up! I found some use for my old scraps of fabric that I have been hording forever! cut out pieces I just couldnt throw out! anyhow I cut them up...sewed them into squares and filled with catnip! It was prett comical last night trying to sew them and then fill them with 2 crazy cats wanting all over me and the sewing machine!

I was thinking what a great way to save a couple of bucks everytime I have to buy them at the pet store!

Mine 2 seem to know when its enough..and they could also take it or leave it!! funny how that is!

Cindy

Longblades
October 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I don't know if there is a difference in what you can buy but, catnip is a weed in much of North America. Do you know what it looks like? Might be bit late this year, but I bet you could find it growing in an empty lot or roadside somewhere and pick and dry your own. Then you could be way more generous when stuffing your own toys. I make "dragonflies" similar to what some poor souls actually spend money buying at my Vets. My cats also like it fresh and green and raw.

Joeyjoejoe
October 28th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Oh the joys of catnip. I use to by just a ground up cheap blend until I found the actual dried stuff....you can buy it in a bouquet and it's the whole catnip stem and all. My guy when bonkers on that. So I found another ground up kind that is only flowers and leaves ( I can't tell you the name because somefuzzy chewed the name off the bags of nip and left holes in all the bags, but I have to go to the pet place tomorrow...this is some good stuff)

Some cats eat it, some just roll. My one cat would eat the whole bag where my other cat just needs to smell the bag or finger that pinched the nip and she gets stupid.

Badger, have you ever stepped on one of those spit soaked catnip bags in the middle of the night?? Or found one nestled in bed with you......:eek:

Do you know what it's called? Do you know where they sell it? My guys only go bonkers if the smell is strong... I'm guessing it's probably because I can only find the dried, shredded stuff at pet stores. The smell is strong on that, but it doesn't last long. Maybe 5 minutes and they'll ignore it.

dogcatharmony
October 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I will get the name of it tomorrow....I have a grocery list to bring to the pet store. I will get both the names of the dried bouquet and the ground up good stuff

clm
October 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I keep catnip in the pantry. They can't get at it in there. I usually rub it on their cat trees now and again. They run around like banshees for about 15 minutes after they've eaten it and rubbed around in it, then they crash for hours. :D

Cindy

Joeyjoejoe
October 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I will get the name of it tomorrow....I have a grocery list to bring to the pet store. I will get both the names of the dried bouquet and the ground up good stuff

Thanks. I want to pick some up before I leave for vacation.

ownedbycats
October 29th, 2008, 05:18 AM
My mom has been wanting to grow some herbs indoors and bought one called catMINT. It isn't catnip, but it has the same properties. We have it on the floor and when they feel like it the cats go and nibble on it, and act just like they do when they have cat nip :crazy:( beware, must start with large plant as cats eat entire stalks at a time) we will find shreeded leaves and stems lying all around the plant.

clm
October 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
My mom has been wanting to grow some herbs indoors and bought one called catMINT. It isn't catnip, but it has the same properties. We have it on the floor and when they feel like it the cats go and nibble on it, and act just like they do when they have cat nip :crazy:( beware, must start with large plant as cats eat entire stalks at a time) we will find shreeded leaves and stems lying all around the plant.

I grow catmint in the garden. Tough plant and the flowers are nice too.

Cindy

Longblades
October 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I have both catnip and cat mint in the garden and find the cats much prefer the cat nip. The cat mint is much prettier, I think, and a local municipality has used it extensively in their landscaping in city parks. It seems to flower just about all summer and doesn't spread rampantly either.

herbs indoors and bought one called catMINT Are you having success with it indoors? We've tried to grow some transplanted cat nip inside for the cats to nibble on in the winter but it soon goes mouldy and rots away. Does the catmint last the winter inside?

Jim Hall
October 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
its odd too that when cats eat it as a treat they tend to calm down and when the inhale it they go nutso

fresh is so much better ive know cats that only go for the fresh. to grow it needs a lot of sun and not much water

also warm both up in your hands before giving it to them

at last count i have 5 c nip mouses

1 skitty kitty from here kitty kitty - $150
assorted odd and ends- $75
3 vet visits- $400
Watching kitty try to tear the head off a catnip mouse -priceless

Love4himies
October 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
It grows wild around here. My cats prefer fresh to dried, it has a very strong mint smell to it.

Jasper after visiting his "stash" plant.

Jim Hall
October 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
yup drolling like a fool and seeing things that arent really there