Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Panthers Invading my province?!

babymomma
October 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
A few months back a circus Truck got into an accident and a huge elephant and other animals had gotten out. The owners of the circus said that all the animals they had had been caught and brought back safely to the truck. But there has been sightings of cougers and panthers in Newfoundland?!!! And they are slowly making there way to where i live:eek: People have seen them waling down the side of the road and stuff! Im so in shock! My science teacher told us about it today and showed us all of the newspaper article on it. They firgure that the circus folk Knew they wouldnt be able to catch them without ALOT of effort, so they just left them in hopes they wouldnt be able to survive or would be killed by hunters and stuff.. This is just waay to crazy for me..

I dont even want to start my rant on circus' and how they treat animals!! :wall:

How will these poor things survive a NFLD winter?!

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2008, 10:26 PM
They might not be from the circus, babymomma. We have the occasional sighting of cougars in WI, too...a lot of states do, from CA to FL to ME...and the number of sightings is on the rise. Most circuses don't have cougars--they have tigers and African lions mostly...

As to survival, cougars are very adaptable and don't mind cold weather.

So it could be that the sightings are only coincidental with the truck accident and the animals have been there all along. :shrug:

Karin
October 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I can truly attest, you will not see any panther's were you live. Trust me.
I wish I can see them as much as I did growing up.

bluestar
October 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Newfoundland is an isolated island in the Northeast Atlantic Ocean Hazel. There are no naturally born cougars on the island. Unless they were brought over by man, they should not be there. Most of the island is rural, and hunting and fishing are a very common practice, especially during moose season. If cougars were inhabiting the island, they would have been spotted centuries ago. I've never heard of cougar sightings and I lived in Central all my life. The only large predatory cats I ever heard of on the island were Lynx's. But I imagine cougars could adapt to life on the island rather easily, there is an abundance of food for them to hunt. Winter is a little different back there. It can last from November to May or later some years, and snowfall is very heavy on certain parts of the island.

DoubleRR
October 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
At the bottom of this link is the known or suspected cougar population across North America. It is a good site for cougar facts.

http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=87

babymomma
October 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys.. The couger thing doesnt really surprise me that much :shrug:

Its the Panthers thing thats getting to me :eek:

mollywog
October 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
From what I know, Panthers live and thrive in warm climates. I can't imagine they could survive the harsh NFLD winters.

hazelrunpack
October 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
From what I know, Panthers live and thrive in warm climates. I can't imagine they could survive the harsh NFLD winters.

Panthers like to hang out in the mountains, too...and live up and down the west coast.

WI winters can be quite cold and long, too...yet sightings of cougars are on the upswing and have been for years. :shrug: They're pretty shy, but every once in a while, they show their beautiful faces. :cloud9:

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I think it depends on the region you live as to what they are called. :shrug:

I've also heard them referred to as pumas and mountain lions. We call them cougars here in B.C. and whenever I hear the word panther I think of the black panther. :cloud9:

Spatx
October 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I think it depends on the region you live as to what they are called. :shrug:

I've also heard them referred to as pumas and mountain lions. We call them cougars here in B.C. and whenever I hear the word panther I think of the black panther. :cloud9:

I call them cougars :) When I hear the word Panther I think of those large black panthers... and the Pink panther... :D

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Here is some information I found about the Newfoundland sightings...

http://www.thenorwester.ca/index.cfm?sid=181324&sc=356

http://www.psican.org/alpha/index.php?/20081007143/Cryptozoology/Big-Cats-In-NFLD.html

mollywog
October 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
yes, I think we are all confusing each other. I realize cougars can live in cold, harsh climates. They live pretty much all over Canada. When I hear the word Panther, I think of Black Panthers that live way south and in Florida. Just clearing that up.

Love4himies
October 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I believe I have read somewhere that cougars have been confirmed in NB, Fundy area I believe.

Karin
October 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
There really is no such thing as a "black" panther. Only black leopards. Look close enough and you can see the outline of spots underneath the black. Years ago I worked for Tiger Eye Productions, I had the worse job...taking care of the cubs.lol. (Actually, the entire company was bad, breeding & selling large cats commercially)
The Florida panther's coat is usually a dark brown which could be confused with black I guess.

babymomma
October 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Okay just to clear this up, There have been sighting of cougers, also known as mountain lions i guess. And those black "panthers" like on the movie the "Jungle book "..lol.. DO you think these cats would kill peoples pets? I really do not think the panthers will be able to survive :( Moose hunters have supposably saw them too :( I get very scared of stuff like this .. I still cannot get over the fact that Coyotes are EVERYWHERRE here :shrug:

AmericanBullMom
October 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
We certainly DO have Cougars ( aka mountain Lion, puma, or panther) in Florida! We DONT have black leopards though.

And Yes BM, an brave Cougar WILL come after pets...but usually keep ther distance from humans... I would say just dont be leaving your baby outside alone!
I think if they are spotted enough, hunters will be lining up to come and take them off your hands in NFLD... Perhaps they will get lucky and a Big Cat Rescue will come and catch them.

Love4himies
October 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Okay just to clear this up, There have been sighting of cougers, also known as mountain lions i guess. And those black "panthers" like on the movie the "Jungle book "..lol.. DO you think these cats would kill peoples pets? I really do not think the panthers will be able to survive :( Moose hunters have supposably saw them too :( I get very scared of stuff like this .. I still cannot get over the fact that Coyotes are EVERYWHERRE here :shrug:

Yup, there are warnings for people to keep their pets inside when a cougar has been spotted near the townsites of Jasper, Banff or Canmore.

MindysMom
October 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I used to live in Cougar country and yes they will eat pets. My sister's cat was eaten by a coyote IN Vancouver (witnessed by the neighbour)

bluestar
October 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
How long have coyotes been a problem? I've been away for 10 years but they were never an issue before. I lived on the Exploits and spent most of my time in the woods around the Grand Falls/Botwood area and down the Bay D'Spear highway. The worst thing we ever used to worry about were black bears, and they scared pretty easily.

babymomma
October 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
How long have coyotes been a problem? I've been away for 10 years but they were never an issue before. I lived on the Exploits and spent most of my time in the woods around the Grand Falls/Botwood area and down the Bay D'Spear highway. The worst thing we ever used to worry about were black bears, and they scared pretty easily.

They only came a few years back. They Came across from Labrador (I think) On the ice. Since the've been here, they have totally dominated this place :eek: Ive come in conatact with one when i was down on a feild with my neighbors german shepherd (I was playing ball off leash with her) And the coyote accually just approached us (It was about 20-30 fty away from us and my neighbors dog took off after it. She stopped when it ran away, needless to say she hasnt been off leash since :shrug: they are EVERYWHERE!

Im from lewisporte. And i have a cabin in Exploits! lol

BusterKitty
October 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I did a project a LONG time ago about jaguars and apparently, panthers are black jaguars:confused: Confusing.

But I don't think the panthers would come around to where people live(are you in a small town?). I wonder if they would be very fearful of people. Coming from a circus, they might just think that people are the ones that'll give them food?

Karin
October 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I did a project a LONG time ago about jaguars and apparently, panthers are black jaguars:confused: Confusing.

But I don't think the panthers would come around to where people live(are you in a small town?). I wonder if they would be very fearful of people. Coming from a circus, they might just think that people are the ones that'll give them food?

Sorry, no such thing as a black panther. Black leopards are common, both spotted & black can be born by a spotted female.
I do not dispute a black Jaguar, it is mutated genes that cause the color but for all to see one would be rare. They are very protected. Even if there are black Jags, the spots should still be seen.

Aside from this, if there are big cat's on the lose, take caution. Especially if these cats were under the control of humans. They know where there food comes from. And if they are hungry, natural instincts will take over.
I grew up loving all critter's, while in high school I had an ocelot named "Fesha". She got a bit out of control and I donated her to a zoo.
Big cats are great, but I have become wiser with age, big cats need big freedom. You cannot totally train a wild animal. I respect their backyard, unfortunately, with population growth, we are not respecting theirs. You gets the blame?, they do of course.
Ok, my rant is over.