Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can my kitten get pregnant?

Monkas
October 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I have 2 kittens, one male and one female. They were born on June 4th, 2008and this November 4th they will become 5 months old. On November 3rd I have a vet appointemnt to neuter and spay them. I am getting worried thinking if the female can get pregnant until then? Last night the male was trying ot go over her and i think she didnt let him. it was dark and i couldnt see well but the male was making weird noice while he was trying to get her.
Please let me know. I am worried.

Can a cat get pregnant at 4-5 months old?

Thank you:)

BenMax
October 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Anything is possible. Has she ever been in heat or did it just start?

Melinda
October 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
to me its a bit young, but you never know, nature is very mysterious, if you're worried then keep them apart till their appointments

Love4himies
October 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yes, a cat can go into heat at 5 months. If you notice any change in her behaviour, excessive meowing, rolling around, a greater interest by your male in her back end, then keep them separated. If they do mate, then there should be no real issues with continuing on with the Spay in Nov.

BenMax
October 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, a cat can go into heat at 5 months. If you notice any change in her behaviour, excessive meowing, rolling around, a greater interest by your male in her back end, then keep them separated. If they do mate, then there should be no real issues with continuing on with the Spay in Nov.

Thanks for saying this L4H.

14+kitties
October 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Not to make light of the situation but I wouldn't worry about it.
If they are just turning five months on Nov 4th it is highly unlikely that she is in heat and/or that he can impregnate her. I say highly unlikely because there is always a very miniscule chance. Male cats don't normally reach maturity till around 6 months.
If you have an appointment on the 3rd to get them s/n (thank you very much for that) then don't worry. IF something did happen it would be early enough in the pregnancy to abort. In fact the vet probably wouldn't even notice if she were pregnant.

Monkas
October 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Are you saying that even if she is (lets just say) a week or 2 weeks pregnant there is no problem spaying her at begining of november?

She is not on heat but he is acting a bit weird.

Love4himies
October 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Are you saying that even if she is (lets just say) a week or 2 weeks pregnant there is no problem spaying her at begining of november?

She is not on heat but he is acting a bit weird.

As always, consult with your vet, but no, there is no problem spaying an otherwise healthy female early in the pregnancy.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_giving_birth_to_kittens.html

catlover2
October 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Can your 5 mo. old girl get pregnant? Yep, make an appointment immediately to get her spayed and your boy neutered. Female kittens can be spayed at 4 months or earlier. This is the voice of experience telling you this. Don't wait.

14+kitties
October 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Can your 5 mo. old girl get pregnant? Yep, make an appointment immediately to get her spayed and your boy neutered. Female kittens can be spayed at 4 months or earlier. This is the voice of experience telling you this. Don't wait.

catlover2 - Monkas already has the appt set for Nov 3. They turn 5 months on Nov 4. They will be fixed very soon. As in next week. :thumbs up

Monkas
October 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM

what is the earlier age female can get pregnant. My female kitty has a big tummy since she was 2-3 months old. She has always been with big tummy and the male is much more slimmer,so it aways makes me wonder I cant wait for nov 3rd.:sad:

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I had the same situation with Maks and Kiska, except Kiska did go into heat. She was about 4 months at the time, if I remember correctly. I'd had them already scheduled for the following month, but my vet told me to just get Maks done first, so he'd leave her alone.

You've already got the appointment for next week so a few days should be okay to wait.

14+kitties
October 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
what is the earlier age female can get pregnant. My female kitty has a big tummy since she was 2-3 months old. She has always been with big tummy and the male is much more slimmer,so it aways makes me wonder I cant wait for nov 3rd.:sad:

Were they ever treated for worms? If not then the kitty belly is probably from that. 2 or 3 month old kittens can not get pregnant. Nov 3 is only next Monday; six days away. Don't worry. Go ahead with the s/n.

Love4himies
October 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Like 14+ said, it is rare for a 5 month old to go into heat, normally their first heat is at 6 months old. Have you had your kitty checked for parasites?

kathryn
October 28th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Back before I knew about early age spay/neuter, I had 2 brother and sister kittens and the male did start going after the female before the vet said they were old enough to get fixed. We got the male fixed when he was about 5 months but he still had us wait on the female :shrug: She never did get pregnant though.

I would not say to worry about it. Thanks for getting them fixed:D

Monkas
October 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Like 14+ said, it is rare for a 5 month old to go into heat, normally their first heat is at 6 months old. Have you had your kitty checked for parasites?

To Love 4 himes and 14++ kitties: No they have never been to the vet yet, never been checked for worms and parasites.

14+kitties
October 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
When you take kitties in for their s/n please talk to the vet about worming them. They can do some pretty simple tests for parasites. A simple pill is all it takes. Most have to be repeated in a month's time. It is possible for meds to be in a liquid form as well.

dmc123
October 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, she could get pregnant. See my post here about Tilly, we were not sure of her age - but guess no more than 5 mths.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39608&highlight=tilly

Good luck,
Diane