Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Cookie

Puss'FavPerson
October 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Wouldn't you know, she was full-on in heat starting Sunday! When I took her in for her spaying Monday morning, she was just beside herself with kitty-hormones ... the crazy crying/talking, rubbing up against EVERYTHING, and of course, jacked-up rear end with tail looped off to one side.

Quite an education for my kids - they never saw a cat behave that way before. :laughing:

Apparently they charge a little extra for the surgery if she's in heat. Didn't see the vet, only the tech, when I picked Cookie up yesterday afternoon, so I didn't get to ask what's up with that.

Anyway, the poor little soul was heavily groggy. Goopy eyes and unable to keep them open or focus very well. Staggering, very un-co-ordinated.
But relatively happy ... she just wanted to sit on someone and sleep for the first few hours.

When she started to come around, she still acted like she was in heat! Which really freaked the boys out! They had explained at the vet's that she would likely have a while before those hormones would get back under control , so I wasn't too surprised.

Kept her confined to one room all night ... so I had her snuggling with me all night ... on my chest nose to nose at 3am, stretched across my neck at 4am, in my armpit with her whiskers in my face at 5am.:sleepy:

This morning she seems back to herself. Doesn't appear to have any pain at all!!! Wants to play and do all her usual stuff. I am amazed ... What a tough Cookie!

Love4himies
October 28th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Glad to hear she is doing well. It is amazing how quickly young kitties bounce back from surgery. I have only had a couple of fosters that seemed to take a couple of days to recover, for majority, it only took 24 hours.

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear that Cookie came through the surgery with flying colors! Good kitty! :highfive: She sounds like a lovely little sleeping buddy. :cloud9:

If cats are anything like dogs, the vet charged extra because they have to take extra precautions if the animal is in heat--they tend to bleed a bit more because everything is so vascular when the hormones are in flux.

Tundra_Queen
October 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM
PSP, I'm so glad Cookie is doing ok! :D

My 2 are going in Thursday to get fixed and it made me feel better to know that Cookie recovered so quickly!

Debbie

growler~GateKeeper
October 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Apparently they charge a little extra for the surgery if she's in heat. Didn't see the vet, only the tech, when I picked Cookie up yesterday afternoon, so I didn't get to ask what's up with that.

If cats are anything like dogs, the vet charged extra because they have to take extra precautions if the animal is in heat--they tend to bleed a bit more because everything is so vascular when the hormones are in flux.

Hazel is right, the spay surgery is a little more delicate when an animal is in heat because of the added blood flow and enlarged veins due to the hormone levels.

Happy to hear everything well well for Cookie :thumbs up