Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newest additions to my menagerie

Gail P
October 27th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I go these guys about a month ago. They're Chinese geese that were looking for a new home. The lady I got them from at first thought she had a pair but it appears they're both ganders. She was then given a mated pair that have been together for 7 years so she wanted to find these guys a new home. They don't really have names, she said her daughter named them Louis and Louise but she didn't know which one was which and they don't know them anyways. I just call them saying "geese, geese, geese" and they come over to get some bread. They're actually quite social with me and yell a lot when I leave. They don't think much of the dogs though and hiss at them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF4779.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF4782.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/DSCF4781.jpg

growler~GateKeeper
October 28th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Ohh the dogs are gonna love herding them :D tell them to watch out though geese bite :eek:

Love4himies
October 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Those are beautiful geese :lovestruck: :cloud9:

clm
October 28th, 2008, 07:56 AM
They are unusual looking. Quite striking actually. Congrats on your new additions!

Cindy

Gail P
October 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I got them with the intent of being able to use them for herding practice for the dogs (since I don't have my own sheep). These geese aren't very used to dogs though and so I thought that for now I'd keep them in with the peacock where they can see the dogs coming and going during chores, but not be in direct contact with them yet. Eventually I'd like to have them free range with the hens and bring them in at night with the dogs. Twice already the dogs have herded them, but both times were when the geese accidentally got out. First time was the second day I had them. I went out to town and after I got home I was in the kitchen and looked out the window and saw the geese around a big puddle by the chicken coop. It took a minute to sink in (since the chickens wander around) and then I remembered that they weren't supposed to be out there yet. I had the farrier coming in a short while to trim the horses hooves, so first I went out to tie the horses into the shed to be ready for him, during which time the geese saw me up near the front of the field and came wandering up for a visit. Dogs were in the house, so I let all but Storm out into the yard and took Storm out with me on leash so he wouldn't scare them. I've been using him to send wild geese away at a few places and I wanted to make sure he knew that we were going to herd these ones, not chase them off (though they can't fly away, but I didn't want him to panic them). He was really good, I told him to look, let him off his leash and said "easy" and he just did a nice slow walk-up and began to flank them. I started walking back towards the coop and he kept them moving with me. As we got closer though he got a bit more excited and kept making whole circles around us instead of just staying behind them. They got a bit defensive with him but he kept at it. I had to go back closer to them and they stuck with me, bumping into my legs and we walked together. But, then Storm was afraid his fun would be over and instead of helping me get them back into their pen he would lie down in front of the doorway and the geese would try to go around the side of the building. I ended up putting him back on leash then and pulling him around with me a bit as I blocked the geese and ushered them back where they belonged. Storm did a good job getting them all the way down the field though.

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Very pretty.

BenMax
October 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
GailP - how are they with humans? I remember a friend of mine bought 4 geese - they hated me....terrorized me to no end. I had to put a quick in my step - they were friggen fast and MEAN.

I must say - they are beautiful.

Gail P
October 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
GailP - how are they with humans? I remember a friend of mine bought 4 geese - they hated me....terrorized me to no end. I had to put a quick in my step - they were friggen fast and MEAN.

I must say - they are beautiful.

As I mentioned before, these guys are very social. They "talk" to me a lot and start to yell when I walk away. They like to eat out of my hand too, and I can pet them. The second unintentional herding incident happened when Rain followed me into their pen and scared them past me and out the door and we herded one back in but I had to catch the other and carry him, he was just too flustered. Once I picked him up he just settled in my arms with no struggling at all. Geese are new to me but I have heard lots of stories about aggressive geese. Reading up on Chinese geese though it seems that they are either very social, or very distant/agressive, partly depending on the strain and partly on how they were raised. These ones were pretty much pets before I got them and were handfed bread every day, in addition to their regular feed.

I remember years ago a stable where I boarded my first horse had some geese they let wander around. The geese would sometimes scare the customers who came to ride. They'd walk up hissing and snaking their necks down low and occasionally take a run at someone.

Frenchy
October 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
They're too cool ! I love big birds :lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
October 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Sounds like both Storm and Rain did a great job :thumbs up Gonna have lots of fun w/them :D

Brandykins
October 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Unusual pets!! Lovely birds though:) Love the wee dog as well:)

Gail P
October 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Unusual pets!! Lovely birds though:) Love the wee dog as well:)

The wee dog? :confused: Do you mean Noah, the collie in the background? He's just the opposite of wee, he's a whopping 90-92 pounds :eek: and no the geese aren't huge :laughing: they're actually one of the lighter breeds of geese. Camera angles do funny things sometimes to the perspective of photos. How nice for Noah though that for once in his life he appears smaller than he is. My neighbour keeps telling me he's too big, but it's mostly coat. I can feel his ribs if I dig through all the coat. The difference is amazing when he gets the undercoat groomed out and gets bathed. A couple of months ago I even took him over to my neighbour's house and told her I'd had him on a diet and asked her if he looked better now. She said yes, much better and then I told her the truth. Yes, I did cut back his food a bit but I also just finished grooming him. Took him to the vets to weigh on their scale to see how much of the difference was coat and how much was fat and he'd only lost 2 pounds :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Took him to the vets to weigh on their scale to see how much of the difference was coat and how much was fat and he'd only lost 2 pounds :laughing:

:laughing: gotta love the double coats :cloud9::cloud9:

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Great looking birds :cool: ....can't wait to see the herding pics. :goodvibes: