Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our ghetto girl puppy

Kai'smom
October 27th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Hi All
As you know Kai is no longer with us and Ive got involved with African Tails, a rescue and rehome group who take pups out of the townships and settlements where conditions are close to horrific due to the vast amount of poverty here in South Africa. The moms are speyed and rehomed and the pups are fostered or adopted. Due to the great amount of foster parents, no dog is euthanased. They are placing roughly 5 dogs a day, all home checked etc. So they are doing a marvellous job. This is our ghetto girl - no-body knows what mix of breeds she is, but boy she just fits right in. My youngest son is very proud of her. She had mange, fleas,two of her brothers died of distemper and and her mother was put to sleep as several youths had stoned her to death. The vet has given her the all clear and at 5 weeks is doing great!

Here she is 43419

ownedbycats
October 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I'm so happy you found another dog!!! :thumbs up She will never take Kai's place, but she will make a special one all her own.

Melinda
October 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
oh she is a real sweetie!!! and she looks so content...as does your son!

clm
October 27th, 2008, 07:05 AM
She's adorable. Congratulations on adopting this puppy that was so in need.

Cindy

14+kitties
October 27th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Awwww Kai'smom, she is adorable!!! Are you fostering her or have you officially adopted her? Kai certainly led you in the right direction. :thumbs up:angel:

Kai'smom
October 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I wasnt really looking for another dog, but we have such a pet / boy friendly house that i thought i could help by being a foster mom. (Im still paying off Kai's vet bills so i at least wanted to get that under my belt before even contemplating that commitment). I thought that it would make me happy as nothing makes you smile like a puppy does:lovestruck: and it would be a nice tribute to Kai and help me with missing him. Anyhooo, I took three pups to foster (two died from distempter a few days before, there were five) and fed them and got them healthy and I thought okay....... job done, I'll wait for the next lot to come in. As you can see by my lad's smile, he got the wink from me;) and I agreed to keep her. (If i carry on like this i'll be giving Hazel a run for her money in numbers :goodvibes: Her sisters were given to lovely homes not too far away. You sign a form to have them speyed at 6 months. She eats like a street dog, constantly looking over her shoulder and is pretty skittish, but so far so good, she made it, she's healthy, sweet natured and is no longer having to endure the hell hole she came out of. Its teaching my boys a lot also, as this charity is also hooked up with a childrens rights charity from the townships and my boys have been playing football and teaching chess to those less fortunate. They had no idea how priveliged they were and its teaching them a life lesson and some humility. We have also agreed that as a family, by renting one less dvd per weekend, that saving can by given and feed a dog for a week at the shelter. So, no more dvd's!!! Repeats on cable only ... how will they cope?:lightbulb:
Anyway, as you can see having Kai taught me a lot and opened my eyes to a lot too.

14+kitties
October 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Huge giant :grouphug: to you!!! You have come a long way! Kai is most surely watching over you and giving a big seal of approval! :thumbs up
Thank you for teaching your boys some valuable life lessons. So many times these days parents don't. :grouphug: :angel:

Jim Hall
October 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM
cute puppy and your young man looks so pleased nothing loke a boy and a dog

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
OMG, what a sweet and cute little puppy! Your son looks like he's on cloud nine.:cloud9:

babymomma
October 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Im so glad you'v saved this puppy :) And Im sure she will bring alot of joy to your life..cngrats on the adoption.. Honestly, If i were in your shoes i would have had a new dog alot sooner, i know that may sound horrible but, i just cannot imaginemy life now without a dog :eek: And ive only been a dog owner for a few motnhs!

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Oh, she's adorable, Kai'smom!! And your son looks awfully happy to have her :D What a great tribute to Kai that you've opened your home to dogs in need! :grouphug:

So are you coming around to hazel's way of thinking, eh? The more the merrier?! :laughing:

Did you mention what you've named your little girl? :dog:

onster
October 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
congrats on the new pup. That picture w ure son is just adorable :cloud9:

bendyfoot
October 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
What a cutie! Pup definitely has put a smile on your son's face!!!:cloud9:

diandpat
October 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Nothing like a puppy to help heal broken hearts :cloud9:

Kai would definitely approve.

I can't get over the description you gave of where this poor pooch came from and my heart breaks for his poor mother :yell:

Thank you for saving this poor soul...he is very very lucky!

Dog Dancer
October 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Kai'smom, bless you and your family for taking in this adorable little pup. You are so right that our kids now a days don't know how lucky they are, and no doubt this whole experience has shown your boys the other side of the coin. What a sad story this is, and sadly probably repeated time and again. Bless you for saving her.

growler~GateKeeper
October 29th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Adorable :cloud9: What's her name?

From the markings/colouring I'd say it's a good bet she's got either some Shepherd or Rottie or Doberman in her somewhere

Kai'smom
October 29th, 2008, 06:17 AM
No name yet, maybe you can help??? !!!
Jordan brought me a list of names - for now she's being called Baba.
Peggy Sue
Maggie May (I love Rod Stewart!!!)
Sugar
Treacle
Pepsi
Phoenix (he didnt spell it like that - bless him... he's 12!!) (Feenix!!)
Diesel
Pepper
Freedom (the dog down the roads name)
We need to decide soon so she doesnt get stuck with Baba :laughing:

Winston
October 29th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Personally I like the name Freedom! I also heard someone the other day say their pups name was Nike and I thought that was cute too! Thank you for saving her life! Kai surely knows! after all he taught you this life lesson and your doing it by saving another!

More pics please! Oh and what a cutie pie your son is!

:thumbs up

Love4himies
October 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
OMG what an absolutely adorable puppy :cloud9: :lovestruck:. I love what Hazel stated about a tribute to Kai and opening your home to pups in need. Kai would be very pleased. :grouphug:

What a beaming smile on your son's face :lovestruck:, every house needs a pet to make it home :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
October 30th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I like Phoenix :D

Out of the ashes rises a Phoenix.......

Spatx
October 30th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I think its a good thing I'm not naming her, she'd probably be called Tinkerbell (Tink) :D Just because she's sooo cute and little at this point.. But I can't imagine she'll stay small for too long.

joeysmama
October 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
She's a sweetie pie !!

Stacer
October 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Wow, what a super cute pupper. I imagine that's what my Skylar looked like when she was a pup. So you're guaranteed a great looking girl when she grows up! :D

Good job on the fostering:thumbs up. It's the only thing that's OK to fail at! :laughing:

rainbow
October 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
She is adorable :cloud9: and bless you for rescuing her. :angel:

Kai would most definitely approve and I love the name Phoenix for her. :thumbs up